1000 Gallon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Correct me if I'm wrong. But, if the tank is drilled for schedule 40 bulkheads the schedule 80 bulkheads will not fit..

Hey Brett, for a 1000g tank, you might want to spend the money and get some decent bulkheads. The ones you picked up are junk, and are very easy to crack. I can break them by hand tightening them. Take a look at some of these, they are more expensive, but I think that since you bought yourself a 1000g tank you are not trying to pinch pennies.

http://www.savko.com/partlist.asp?pgid=2&ptid=5&pid=28

Take it easy on me Tom. The bulkheads were included with the purchase of the tank.

I just ordered my skimmer......ssss. I just ordered my skimmers.:razz:

I have one SWC Marine solutions MSX160 which is a bubble master knock-off. I love the skimmer and am selling it to Skimerwhisper as he's been very impressed by them thus far.

I decided to order TWO MSX250's. The are a replica of the Bubble Master BM250. Both skimmers run dual Sicce pk2500 pumps.

Running two of these skimmers will be less than 100 combined watts and 4800lph.
I had looked at the Reef Orca 250 and it boasts 1950lph, so Im almost double the air for $400 less.

Yes the MSX are built of a cheaper material, but I havent damaged my 160 and I don't plan on bashing my skimmers with a baseball bat, driving over them with my car, or tossing them down the stairs...

Things are coming along...
MSX250p.jpg

ATI%20250lg.jpeg

Question about "the MSX are built of a cheaper material" What is different is it cast instead of cell ?

I am planning on hopefully getting one of those skimmers myself soon and wanted to use it with ozone at times ( probably minimal use as my orp is at 350-365 most of the time so minimal use)

VWMONEYPIT "why two small and not one ext large one?just wondering" This manufacturer, if I am not mistaken, only sells a 2 pump model and the only difference with there largest model is that it has a 2" larger tube.

:)

Paul

Last edited:
Im not fimiliar with how orp affects skimmers. What I do know about the MSX is there has been complaints about them being more fragile. I guess they are built with extruded pvc rather than acrylic or sometihng like that. None of that matters to me as I own the much smaller version and have had NO issues. I don't even know the difference between cast vs. cell, LOL
Question about "the MSX are built of a cheaper material" What is different is it cast instead of cell ?

I am planning on hopefully getting one of those skimmers myself soon and wanted to use it with ozone at times ( probably minimal use as my orp is at 350-365 most of the time so minimal use)

VWMONEYPIT "why two small and not one ext large one?just wondering" This manufacturer, if I am not mistaken, only sells a 2 pump model and the only difference with there largest model is that it has a 2" larger tube.

:)

Paul

why two small and not one ext large one?just wondering

Like I had said, Im getting pretty powerful skimming with the two of these, for $1100 Any skimmer pulling 4800lph is going to run WAY more than that. Best bang for the buck

Yes the MSX are built of a cheaper material, but I havent damaged my 160 and I don't plan on bashing my skimmers with a baseball bat, driving over them with my car, or tossing them down the stairs...

LOL Exactly its just a skimmer, if it works who cares what its made out of..

And i personaly with a tank that big would rather have two then one... if one goes down for what ever reason then you have one still working... the same reason i love twin engine planes... it may not run the best on jsut one but at least your not in a panic when your one and only stops working.

Brett, as Tom said about those bulk heads, My Dads 120 gallon has already busted 2 of those black bulkheads, he had to drain it to fix them too, I would highly recomend the bulkheads from Mchlendons. however I dont know if they will fit your pre-drilled holes....

matt

Yeah yeah yeah... I picked one up, and the outer diameter of the bulkhead is larger, so I could either go to a smaller bulkhead, drill the tank or run what I got. Due to the type of pumps I am running, 1.5" is highly recommended. I feel for you guys and the troubles you have had with them. Hopefully I will be lucky. I must put a small amount of faith in the product, if the were so horrible that every single piece failed they wouldn't be able to stay in business would they?

Now having said this they will all probably fail the first week.

Perhaps if you made the connection to the bulkhead with spaflex (instead of rigid PVC), the pipe will flex and put less stress on the bulkhead.

Got the tank mostly plumbed. Still need to hook everything up to the pumps. I will used spa flex to reduce vibration transfer from the pump to the plumbing. I got the light hung and the black back ground up. I also got my sand today. All in all pretty productive..
I should add, supports are being added to the pipes under the stand to keep things level and to prevent sagging.
Heres some pics.
DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

some big ball valves for a big tank:
DSC_0037.jpg

Brett- Not to be a petty, picky, pain.... you may want to consider painting the walls and ceiling now and not later. FWIW, Just the additional water resistance (not proof). D

I was thinking about kilz. Its a primer, sealant and water resistant. Is that kinda what you were thinking?

That stuff is awsome, help redo my parents house when they bought it... dog pee all over the house staind the wood and cement... used really strong bleach and still the smell came back. put a coat or two the smell was gone and down stairs on the slab cut the moister that came through the cement floor 95% that stuff is awsome that all i got to say. but defiently want to do it before you get any fish in or any thing cause that stuff is potent and would more then likely do in a system with a drop of not less.

Strap Hangers?

Brett,
I'm sure you've thought of this already but just in case you may want to consider some hangers for the pipe. Pretty long runs full of water with no support.

Back