180 gallon dual octogon AGA

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

OK, I'm going to get it cleaned and sealed on Wednesday. I need to get this going quick, I'm outa room in my tank! If all goes well, I can do a fill test outside on Thursday, and hope to have it moved into the house by next week! I will just use my current equipment temporarily, but will be looking soon for a 72" fixture to cover the whole tank. Hoping to get a combo fixture with 250 MH and T5HO actinic with Lunar LEDs.

Last edited:
If you need this light let me know for you i would do $350 cash. cant accept any more coral trades but will take payments if you wanna stretch it out. It needs new bulbs but works like a champ. I have it listed in Aquatic Dreams for $450 right now.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54722

That's really tempting, but I'm gonna have to wait for now so I can really think about my options. I'm kinda tight on funds right now too, so I'm gonna start out with my lights that I have over my 75, and figure it out from there. Thanks for the offer!

Ben, glad you got that. Funny thing is, I almost bought it, about 6 months before Dave did...lol. Then, I almost took it home with me, a few days ago...lol. I decided against it, as I don't need another project at the moment.

Looking forward to this build. It's going to require a bit of imagination....

I am looking forward to seeing what direction you plan on taking this beast. Could go lots of different directions with this and well I would be stuck trying to figure it out. So good luck and post some pics as you go.

If you are worried about heat, then I would opt for this lighting:

4x24 T5HO with Lunar LEDs

If you are worried about heat, then I would opt for this lighting:

4x24 T5HO with Lunar LEDs

I wasn't too concerned about that. It has such a huge open top, it should be pretty easy to control heat. I already have a 48" 4x54 and 2x 24" 2x24 T5. Will make them work somehow for now.

Got it sealed and mostly clean. Hope to get it going real soon! Just got my power working in my garage, so maybe I can get it cycling out there for a while before I move it in the house to replace my other tank. Might still have to wait 'til the 20th so I can afford new aragonite sand.
DSCN3680.jpg

I put this in general discussion to show off the new tank, but now it might as well be my build thread since it is getting longer. Any chance somebody could move it to member showcase forum?

Looks like you did a great job Ben! I bet you can find a way to suspend you T5s over that puppy for now. For an idea of future lighting that wont destroy the bank you should check out http://www.fishneedit.com/metal-halide.html I bet a 250w over each section would be sick over that bad boy. Shawn has one of them over his 40b and last I heard he really liked it.

Looks like you did a great job Ben! I bet you can find a way to suspend you T5s over that puppy for now. For an idea of future lighting that wont destroy the bank you should check out http://www.fishneedit.com/metal-halide.html I bet a 250w over each section would be sick over that bad boy. Shawn has one of them over his 40b and last I heard he really liked it.

Wow! What an incredible sale price. I think I know what I want for Christmas!:D

Finished supporting the stand today and did the fill test. Everything is working properly.
DSCN3725.jpg

DSCN3724.jpg

Will move it in the house next week on my day off.

Are you gonna do something with those outputs from top to bottom?!?!
I think it would be cool to stack rock up out of the water and have the water trickling over it, instead of the loud splashy drop..

I will figure out something. It's kinda ugly anyway. I thought of making some kind of custom piece that it flows or trickles out of. Building up some rock wouldn't be a bad idea though.

I will figure out something. It's kinda ugly anyway. I thought of making some kind of custom piece that it flows or trickles out of. Building up some rock wouldn't be a bad idea though.

Thats what I would do. Build the rocks up to it and maybe a rock with a hol it it that the water will come out of and create a water fall effect. Plant some mangroves on or near it to grow up and around it.

Thats what I would do. Build the rocks up to it and maybe a rock with a hol it it that the water will come out of and create a water fall effect. Plant some mangroves on or near it to grow up and around it.

I've never seen mangroves, and know nothing about them. Something I'm interested in checking out now that I have more room.

Back