400 gallons of saltwater running through my house.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The only thing in the system is the mantis. He's up in the refugium just hanging out. I think for the long-term I would like the look of sea grass over chaeto.

I've seen that on L.A. . . . are you to try that instead of chaeto? I'm going to give the refuge starter kit on their website a go. Do you have anything in the tank yet?

Devon I agree on liking the look of sea grass. I was just over in Spokane and saw a seahorse tank full of it over at one of the fish stores over there. It looked incredible! It was a biocube deal, with a ton of sea grass growing all over the bottom, and this huge seahorse cruising around in there. It looked anchored to the bottom, and was growing upright with big green blades. Very striking. The seahorse was wrapping his tail on the blades as he went, and came up to the front to see us. It was really green and very pretty in there. I was thinking it would look great in a refugium. Yeah, chaeto is kind of a big, wiry ball and not very pretty. Go for it, I might too! What kind of lighting are you going to use in the refuge?

I've got T5s over the fuge. I just got everything moved into the big tank and I'm trying to figure out what to do with all the extra stuff (rock & corals). Right now the fuge is full of the excess but when I get it cleaned out I will go for the sea grass.

Well we want the beer to be cold right? :becky:

The clock is ticking and the beer is getting cold ;)

I saw the Facebook pics and if those were an appetizer, I am looking for the main course :).

Okay, here come a few large photos of the progress.

Plumbing the Refugium
A few pictures of plumbing the refugium.

img_7055.jpg

Old PVC from the return pump on the right.

img_7157.jpg

New PVC Distribution Manifold

img_7158.jpg

img_7165.jpg

Running the line under the tank and down to the far wall, then through the wall to the left.

img_7161.jpg

Running the 3/4 ” feed line through the wall.

img_7162.jpg

Up over the door opening.

img_7163.jpg

Back to the other side of the wall.

img_7159.jpg

The refugium will be feed on the left side then drain down to the tank on the right side.

img_7177.jpg

Refuge and saltwater mixing tank in place.

img_7178.jpg

The 2″ PVC pipe flows over and dumps into the top of the display tank.

img_7179.jpg

The drop into the tank. Good place for the fish to wait for pods.

Using some BRS coral glue and some two part putty I built this arch out of Tonga branch. It looks pretty nice in the new tank and give the fish something to navigate around.

img_7191.jpg

Working on the lighting area...

img_7202.jpg

I added a piece of wood between the two hood doors so that it would keep the light from shinning through when closed.

img_7224.jpg

Using a couple metal brackets and a metal closet bar from Home Depot I made a place to hang the lights from.

img_7225.jpg

Looking good. Just need to find something, other than a 2X4 to keep the doors open.

Automatic Top Off (ATO) Tank

Using a ten gallon tank, a JBJ ATO and a float I put together the new top off tank for system.

img_7206.jpg

img_7208.jpg

Eshopps Float Valve

img_7207.jpg

The Tank is Running!

After a long weekend everything has been moved into the new tank. :) Time to rest.

img_7242.jpg

img_7239.jpg

img_7232.jpg

img_7234.jpg
The Achilles Tang likes the tank and the arch!

img_7230.jpg

Just the actinic lights on. Notice the clownfish living in the clam.

img_7231.jpg

Notice the Apex controller display unit mounted up top. I love being able to see the pH & temp so easily.

Thanks! I did however have a couple casualties.:frown:
In the last six months the red hawkfish & orange spotted goby disappeared. During the move last weekend the male lyretail anthias got crushed during the fish chase. He hid under a rock that got moved on top of him, something I was trying hard not to do. Last, my mantis shrimp died after molting. I checked all the water parameters and they were within reason. Maybe too much change for him. But, overall I think the move has been a success.

Back