400 gallons of saltwater running through my house.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well I know one 2" overflow would take care of the 2400 GPH pump no problem. The overflow should also take the slow trickle of water from my refuge dropping in too. Most, if not all, of the flow in the tank would be controlled by they VorTechs. Does anyone see a problem with my thinking? :confused:

Here are a couple update photos (sourced in this time) of the 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank acting as the temporary home for our fish. We actually really enjoy watching the fish and corals from above. The clams are very neat to look at too! So far the fish and corals haven’t protested the temp setup.

In the fish room, behind the display tank, I have set up a metal rack to hold the 90 gallon refugium and 90 gallon salt mixing tank. The refugium will go up high and have a drain that drops down into the display tank (to the right). Hopefully the refuge will produce lots of bugs for the fish to eat.
icon_smile.gif
We’ve also painted everything white in the fish room with Kilz primer, added some can lights, and put in a small sink and hookup for the RO/DI unit.

Just got the ATO (Automatic Top Off) up and running this evening. I used a small pump and a 10 gallon tank for top-off water. I also got my APEX controller back up and running on the temp system.

While building the stand we ran three new lines to the breaker box, one for lights, one for pumps, and one for the refugium area. I’m really happy to have the aquarium system on its own set of breakers.

A recap of moving the tank…

6 guys, a trailer, suction cups, straps and an hour of grunting we had the tank moved. We think the tank weighs around 600+ lbs. (.5 inch glass with a bit of re-enforcement glass in the bottom). Luckily everything went well although we did bust off a fitting on the bottom for one of the returns. I think I might actually cut out one overflow (right side), deleting the broken return, and rely on my VorTech MP40s to create the majority of the flow/turnover in the tank. Originally I thought I would get a lot of flow from the return pumps (2 – Mag Drive 24s) but that just didn’t happen.

After a bit more thought and Shelby’s “Not to scale” disclaimer drawings (lol) we had the stand figured out. Here’s where we are now.

(Tops to be installed soon)

Next time around we should have the tops installed, tank painted and the right side overflow removed…
icon_wink.gif

Wow, this is alot to digest................................LOL. But it looks like are progressing Devon.

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I hope that metal stand is going to be secured to the wall?

Congratulations on your new house Devon! Your fish room and tank stand are looking very awesome. Your fish and corals look like they're doing really well in that stock tank. I've seem where sometimes they don't, but it appears that you've got a nice system going there. Looking forward to seeing it all done. I love that Shelby is totally involved in the whole thing. Way to go!

Do you still have your chaeto growing? I keep checking, but Live Aquaria never seems to have any in stock. Might I buy some from you at some future time when I get set up? No rush. Thanks!

Thanks gang! Things are coming a long nicely. We put the top cabinet doors on last night so it's almost ready for paint. I will post some more photos up soon.

Oh and Kim, I don't have any chaeto left. It kind of went away about six months ago. I will get some more when I get the new system up and running.

Armed with 100 razor blades, a box cutter, and a few other razor blade type instruments I started in on the overflow box. Here are a few photos as progress was made.

First I removed the front piece of glass as it was the easiest to get to.

The bio-balls were packed in there pretty tight. After a year or so of having the tank up I tried to get them out but I couldn’t reach to the bottom.

Bio-balls removed and now to cut the PVC with the saws-all.

The skinnier blade of the two razor knives I had worked the best when cutting between the two pieces of glass, but it broke more often.

It was a tight fit!

Left side off.

Same process on the right side.

Overflow box removed. Now I just need to pull the bulk heads out and glue a piece of glass over the holes.

Should have a nice(r) view from the exposed right side of the tank.

Here’s the stand before we put the tops on.

Here’s the stand with the tops on. Just need to finish up the top-right side and add paint. We’re pretty excited to get it up and running!

that is looking good!!! are you going to remove the bioballs from the other overflow? do you think you would ever want to use those bulkheads for anything? maybe just put a threaded plug in the bulkhead in case you decide you want to use them for flow or who knows what....... just a thought.
we are moving along with our remodel and I am hoping to set up another tank. seeing your progress really makes me want to get started soon.

that is looking good!!! are you going to remove the bioballs from the other overflow? do you think you would ever want to use those bulkheads for anything? maybe just put a threaded plug in the bulkhead in case you decide you want to use them for flow or who knows what....... just a thought.
we are moving along with our remodel and I am hoping to set up another tank. seeing your progress really makes me want to get started soon.

I'm going to remove all the bioballs from the system. I need to borrow a shop vac to get the rest out. I suppose I could keep the bulkheads and cap them off but, i'm doubtful I'd use them again. We'll play it by ear.

Looks really nice Devon!!!! I am almost in agreement with Rob tho on the bulkheads. But then thinking about it a little, and where they are at, get rid of them. To reuse them would mean you would have to drain the tank, unless you plumbed them beforehand. Best to take temptation out of the picture and do away with them. Your plan of going with a Vortech or something similar will work for you!!! Just my .02.

So............................. How long do you think, realistically, before we see rock and saltwater in this thing again?

one thing is for sure. even if you silicone glass over the holes, you could remove the glass and reuse the bulkheads. the silicone glass would be less likely to leak!

I will probably take the bulkheads out and cover them with a piece of glass. I feel better about that at this point. We have so many projects I am bouncing around from one to another. So, that being said I'm not sure when the tank will be up and running... month or two....? Just have to play it by ear. Right now I am working on getting some weatherstripping put on an old car and trying to find new doors for our fireplace... Lots to do before the snow flies!

Taking out the bulk heads was not as bad as I thought. I ended up turning them in place which broke the silicone free. I used a large set of adjustable pliers to turn the bulk head nuts while holding on to the center portion of the bulk head. Then I scraped off the old silicone with a razor blade and some alcohol and applied the new silicone/glass patch.

I probably look kind of funny on a 6 foot ladder halfway in a fish tank. The vacuum has come in really handy to pull out all kinds of stuff in the tank.
icon_smile.gif

Top side of the bulkhead before removal. Scraping all of the silicone off wasn’t fun.

Bottom side of the bulkhead before removal

2″ Bulkhead

2″ and 3/4″ bulkheads removed, oh joy!

Cleaning up the glass, removing silicone

I had a piece of the old glass cut to cover the two bulkhead holes.

Silicone around the holes

Adding a bit of silicone around the edge of the glass cover

Gluing down the patch with silicone

Back