400 gallons of saltwater running through my house.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

So I am looking over all of the steady progress on your tank move/upgraded stand/overflow and bulkhead excisions, it all looks great. What are you plans for some sort of overflow or return to a sump for filtration and all of that - did I just miss it in the posts?

Well I am keeping the one overflow/return. So I'll have a way to put water in and take it out to the sump & fuge. VorTechs will take care of the movement in the display. It's about time to test the patch. Fingers crossed.

I just realized they (RF) changed the URLs of the forum and threads... Guess I will go update my links!

Time for a few updates. Sorry for the large pictures but I don't feel like taking the time to make them smaller.

Painting the stand wasn't too bad of a process… mostly because my awesome wife did it for me. :) I told her I didn’t care what color it was, just what was in it. So, we ended up with Knight’s Armor (dark grey) and a couple gel coats of polyurethane on the tank.

Here are a couple update pictures:

img_7054.jpg

img_7036.jpg

Using our dishes to keep the sand from being blown everywhere on the fill up. They came in very handy!

img_7037.jpg

Filling up the freshly painted tank. Really liking the Knight’s Armor color.

I’m using a 100 Gallon Rubbermaid stock tank for this system’s sump. I like that they are very sturdy! I've also made a media filter box out of stackable recycling containers. Here are couple shots from the fish room.

img_7056.jpg

img_7055.jpg

img_7060.jpg

img_7058.jpg

At the last house the tank was set up with bio balls in each one of the overflow boxes to limit noise. This time I decided not to use bio balls and boy let me tell you, I had a small Niagara Falls in my basement! I could hear the bassy tones all the way upstairs. So, here’s my attempt at making a 2 inch PVC standpipe to quite the tank.

img_7040.jpg

img_7044.jpg

Looking down inside the overflow box. Didn’t have much room to install that stand pipe, especially when half of the overflow box opening is covered by a cross brace.

img_7050.jpg

Putting the standpipe together was a tight fit! I had to use an elbow to get around the return line. I also had to cut the sides of the PVC fitting to squeeze them into place.

I sent my MP40W’s into EcoTech Marine for the “ES” upgrade. The new controller boxes seem to have more wireless range than the old boxes. :) I couldn't quite span the 90 inch distance before.

img_7068.jpg

They look pretty cool at night.

img_7071.jpg

img_7062.jpg

Filling up the 175 gallon RO storage container. I placed an air stone inside the container for water movement.

Hey, things are looking good Devon! How's your stuff doing in your holding tank? How many fish did you keep for the new system?

So far all of my fish are holding up pretty well in the Rubbermaid stock tank. That being said over the past 6 months (can't believe 6 months has gone by) the red hawkfish and maybe an anthias have disappeared. The fish really seem to like the stock tank so I hope they don't mind going back into their old tank. This weekend I think I will work on plumbing the refugium in and moving the saltwater mixing tank into the fish room. Lots of work still left to be done!

So I'm considering putting sea grass in the refugium. I think it would look neat and gives the pods a place to thrive. I've seen it for sale on Liveaquaria's Diver's Den a few times.

Has anyone tried sea grass before? Thoughts?

I've seen that on L.A. . . . are you to try that instead of chaeto? I'm going to give the refuge starter kit on their website a go. Do you have anything in the tank yet?

Back