57 gallon oceanic illuminata rimless build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Looking good man. I like that new nano power head! Technology is great for this hobby :D

Thanks for the compliment Frankie. I'm going water changes every week or 2 to get this hair algae under control and then i'll try to get a full tank shot up again. I love those power heads because the motor and the wires never enter the tank and there are no wires entering the water. They are also easily customizable for flow patterns. Definitely a clean look for the tank.

I just picked up the same tank and I like it,yours looks great by the way.I was thinking I might move and down size my intake as it takes up lots of room. Sweet tank but there is no warranty if it's not on a oceanic stand.which is lame.

I just picked up the same tank and I like it,yours looks great by the way.I was thinking I might move and down size my intake as it takes up lots of room. Sweet tank but there is no warranty if it's not on a oceanic stand.which is lame.

Well i never had this tank on one of their stands, I put it on a counter top the 1st try and then on an open style pine stand this time, No problems either time. It's taken like 3-4 months but i am finally getting my algae problem under control. I plan on taking some pictures again soon. It's looking much better lately and a joy to look at now. Personally there is nothing about the tank i would change, except maybe a cover for the overflow box to keep the algae from growing back there. And also be careful with wrasses they love to jump out of these tanks.

It's been forever since I added some update photos from the tank so I thought i would mess around with our new Cannon T3i and see what happens took awhile to get is dialed in but came up with some pretty good pics. Let me know what you all think.

A few of the Zoo's

6355731447_27d2d89ae1_b.jpg

6355737051_3bf0f9c8e7_b.jpg

6355735809_4d143a6e17_b.jpg

This Hammer Coral colony is about the size of a soccer ball and is taking over the tank with the 2 other colonies. Gonna have to frag it some day

6355727877_27171b4399_b.jpg

My lone colony of Ricordea Mushrooms

6355729041_0320467941_b.jpg

Some of my Acan colonies most of which i got from Nanoreefer411

6355738233_70bc3ebc26_b.jpg

6355728421_2692043453_b.jpg

6355738713_3074b9ef45_b.jpg

6355733743_3f0592a26a_b.jpg

The brain coral which recently got into a fight with an Acan colony and lost

6355734553_4bae749641_b.jpg

My Galaxia coral I got from KevinPo and Aquatic Dreams

6355730315_8a242cc8cf_b.jpg

The name of this coral is on the tip of my tongue...someone help

6355726427_20457b75c1_b.jpg

Some livestock photos.....

6355740345_64cb86fae9_b.jpg

I love the look on the male clown in this one.....

6355739543_69d3b9fe05_b.jpg

Just the GBTA.....

6355734193_e578dc107d_b.jpg

One of the 2 large fire shrimp.....

6355737765_7598766f67_b.jpg

Watchman gobies.....

6355730729_8c9bb37c0b_b.jpg

6355729501_0b6ba4dc32_b.jpg

This Emerald crab needs to shave it's legs jeash.....

6355726983_5609e0d8ed_b.jpg

looks great! i have an illuminata as well. do you have top on it? I just bought some clear mesh to make a top. over the past 6 months i lost my YWG, hawkfish, and last week firefish to carpet surfing :-(

James

looks great! i have an illuminata as well. do you have top on it? I just bought some clear mesh to make a top. over the past 6 months i lost my YWG, hawkfish, and last week firefish to carpet surfing :-(

James

No top. I prefer the open top look. I'm working on cleaning up a full tank shot today. I did put a black cover on the overflow box to prevent algae growth in the back. I've had my share of carpet surfers too, when i add new fish that may be known to jump i put a piece of acrylic over the top for a week or so till they find their place in the tank.

Pictures look great! I am leaning towards getting the canon 60D

I don't think you can really go wrong with many of the Cannon or Nikon cameras these days. Learning how to use them is the hardest part. I'm still very much a beginner. Thanks for the compliment.

Great pictures Jesse! I really like the shot of the rainbow micromussa colony. ;-) Very nice.

Thanks Miss Gina, that was one of my favorite ones I got from you back in the day. Always happy to hear from you. Hope your tank is making a full recovery too. I still need to see it one of these days in person.

=D That sounds like a plan. I need to send you a letter. The man's tank is for sale. I will write you this weekend. I have things to tell you. Have a great day friend.

=D That sounds like a plan. I need to send you a letter. The man's tank is for sale. I will write you this weekend. I have things to tell you. Have a great day friend.

Sounds good to me. That's a bummer about your nano tank. That was a cool design and layout. I was looking forward to seeing it up and running. I know you put a lot of thought into that present. Have a great weekend. Talk to you soon.

I promise, I got my new light bulbs installed and a week later either a bulb blew or a ballast popped inside my lighting fixture. I have to make a visit to Aquatic Dreams and have Kevin take a look at the lighting situation before i can post any more pics. The tank is looking really good. The latest additions are a Hippo Tang and an Anemone Crab who the clown fish have adopted as their own. Pics coming soon I hope as soon as i get my lighting fixed. Please stand by.....

More pictures!!!! =D

I would like to send out a big THANK YOU! To Kevin at Aquatic Dreams. I took my whole lighting fixture into his store last night and he took it apart, replaced the blown ballast and put it back together for me. He even checked the wiring schematics like 5 times before wiring it up. He also took apart an existing ballast to double check the wiring configuration. I've always been a fan of good customer service but Kevin as usual goes above and beyond for his customers. Thanks Kevin the light is working great this morning.

Back