60 gallon frag system build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Just had another thought. How many times have had to build a jig, to build a jig?
And now I need to see some pics of your shop!!! I think it is a DIY guy thing. lol

I am excited to see the sump in action also. I never saw a sump like this myself, I am just making it up as I go. It is close to a sump that Barr aquatic's came out with except there raceway is not up and over baffles like mine, there's is around the corner of the baffles. You can see it here, second picture from the bottom.
Barr Aquatic Systems - Custom Sumps - Beckett Protein Skimmers - Kalk (Nilson) Reactors - Calcium Reactors - Waste Collectors - Reef Systems - Salt Water Systems I have always been a big fan of this companies skills for thinking outside the box :)

It's not much of a shop like I had in NY. Just basic homer tools and diy benches. Put a hammer in my hand and i'll figure a way to cut glass with it. Hammers the best tool ever invented imo ;)

I'm into building jigs for a jig also! I thought I was the only crazy out there :D My wife asks, what's that for? well that is so I can make this thing so I can build this thing.

Too funny.

Another great diy guy is Joseph Weatherson Tank of the Month - November 2005 - Reefkeeping.com I have learned a lot from this guys builds. Check out the skimmer in this link.

Man, that MOTM 2005 tank is Insane! Nice work man, keep it up! :D
OBTH I need a Jig for that jig that is going to be a jig to get Jiggy!:p

I remember seeing the TOTM on some forum on the internet. I was very impressed. Only if I had the $, time, and room. He has taken TINKERING to a whole new level.

Frank that sump is so damn Purdy that you'll now have to keep it as clean as your DT. I'm really looking forward to seeing it all in action, will definitely have to post a video as pics won't do it justice my friend.

Cheers, Todd

Once the skimmer is done I will get a video of the sump and skimmer working. I agree video's are much better.

Thanks for popping in dudes. I have a busy work week this week so my time online is limited. I'll get some pictures up tonight if it's not to late of the bubble plate I made for it. Still a few pieces to go.

I am looking for a cool looking gate valve for it if anyone has a few links to gate valves. I don't want to standard white with red handle. Clear would be cool if anyone can find one.

Thanks, frank :)

Franie. When you mentioned looking for a clear gate valve , smoke started coming out of my ears. I think you will have a better chance at hitting the lottery than finding a clear one.
My first thought was a gate valve used on a wood working tool for dust collection. I havent thought it all the way thru. May be possible you could fab one up with the right placement of some O-rings.
Something for you to think about.

May be possible you could fab one up with the right placement of some O-rings. Something for you to think about.

Frank, my first thoughts as well... What! you can't just whip one of these up too I'm sure yoour wife wouldn't mind you getting a milling machine, water jet and what not for the home shop

Todd

I have no doubt I could make one if I had the materials and a few more tools but really not worth it. LOL :)

I found a few clear ones but they look pretty heavy. I want light and am going to just get a white one. Maybe i'll make a new handle for it though ;)

I did finish the bubble plate today and outer ring to help contain bubbles in the upper chamber.

Made a circle and drew a pattern that pleased me
014-3.jpg

019.jpg

Put an old saw blade under it to keep the counter sink from going to far through and counter sunk the underside
021-1.jpg

Next I made the outer ring. to do this I used an old jig to hold the outer edge for when I came to the end. This way it doesn't wander in that last 1/2"
049-1.jpg

Tight fit
050.jpg

054.jpg

051.jpg

Been watching these fellows growing in my garden shed room out back also :)
034-1.jpg

033-1.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice fit on the ring. Is it better to have a larger consentration of holes near the center? Does it create some sort of flow inside the tube? I was wondering why you used that hole pattern?
The birds are neat, but can be a problem in the future.

Thanks guy's. Good to have the skimmer whisperers approval :D

Yes, I am trying to see if by the hole pattern if I can concentrate the bubble flow towards the center of the column and less going out of the outflow in the outer ring. I can always drill more holes later if I do not like the way it works.

I did the two pieces separate. The center plate will be removable for future cleaning. I need to design the clip system that will hold it in place now. It's just going to be a twist lock catch.

Don't hold your breath iroll! This thing may take a few more months before we start to see corals. It is picking up in pace now that I have a sump to plumb though ;)

Have a blessed day everyone!

Frank

Hello everyone!

OK, I need some input here on gate valves. I am not to sure which size I should use. My gut tells me 1 1/2" or 2" but I just happen to have a 1" in my box of stuff. I would like to use the 1" but not to sure the hole will be too small.

Look back on the past page or two and let me know what you think.

Thanks! Frank

Frankie, as you well know it is easier to make a large whole small than it is to make a small hole larger. I'm not an expert on water flow volume, I do know that plan B has come into effect more than once.
Keep up the good work.

Back