A 750g SPS system is born

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jeff, thanks for the PM on this thread.

I was very successful in getting my MI's to eat. They actually fought with the tangs and rabbit fish for food. I started out by ordering them from Dr. Fosters and Smith, but before ordering I spoke with them about their statement on the web site that "all their fish are eating and healthy before shipping". I asked specifically what they were feeding the Moorish Idols. They use frozen brine shrimp as a primary food and did guarantee they were eating. When they arrived, after acclimation, I started supplying the tank with my favorite varieties of food that seems to always work for picky eaters. I feed small amounts of frozen brine shrimp, Zooplankton, and New Life Spectrum. The Zooplanktion is very good at getting them started. Eventually the MI's followed the other fish and devoured the New Life Spectrum. I even have my mandarin eating this stuff! Unfortunately I do not have the MI's any more, seems the suction on my 7500 gph closed loop was too great for these tall fish to get away from. I need to stack a lot of rock around the suction screens, then try again.

Rico

I was very successful in getting my MI's to eat

Sorry to hear about the Loss Rick, I knew you had done a great job with Getting these finiky eaters to eat prepaird foods My Leopard Wrasses were the same way on learning to eat prepaird foods from My Clowns & Tangs It is suprising what these fish will teach each other.

Rico said:
Jeff, thanks for the PM on this thread.

I was very successful in getting my MI's to eat. They actually fought with the tangs and rabbit fish for food. I started out by ordering them from Dr. Fosters and Smith, but before ordering I spoke with them about their statement on the web site that "all their fish are eating and healthy before shipping". I asked specifically what they were feeding the Moorish Idols. They use frozen brine shrimp as a primary food and did guarantee they were eating. When they arrived, after acclimation, I started supplying the tank with my favorite varieties of food that seems to always work for picky eaters. I feed small amounts of frozen brine shrimp, Zooplankton, and New Life Spectrum. The Zooplanktion is very good at getting them started. Eventually the MI's followed the other fish and devoured the New Life Spectrum. I even have my mandarin eating this stuff! Unfortunately I do not have the MI's any more, seems the suction on my 7500 gph closed loop was too great for these tall fish to get away from. I need to stack a lot of rock around the suction screens, then try again.

Rico

Yeah, I think he has a whole house generator.

Nick

I think he purchased a natural gas powered Generator.
Nick

I have a regular generator. Need gasoline to run it. I am installing a whole house generator for next year and will be connected to a 500g propane tank. Right now I have to go get gas every so often. I don't know how long it will be before I get electricity back. More later.

Its nice to hear from you Roberto. Hope your up and running as before soon. Please let us know how you are doing..:|

Ed Hahn said:
Its nice to hear from you Roberto. Hope your up and running as before soon. Please let us know how you are doing..:|

Thanks, but the name is ALBERTO :cool:

To all of you, thanks so much for the concerns. We'll be OK I think. I jsut hope electricity comes back soon because I can't turn ont he lights with the generator. We just got phone back a couple of hours ago :lol:

Alberto, can you run like one halide at a time for 2 hours each? Then you could stagger them so each one is on for 2 hours each day. Hope you get your power back soon. I know I would be mega stressed out in a situation like this. Heck, I go crazy when the power goes out for 20 minutes.

I can. I ahve to figure something out today when I get home. I turned on the actinics last night, but the other problem with lighting is heat! It has been unseasonally cold here in the last couple of days, but it is warming back up again. That with no chiller is not a good combination. I would rather have cool water than lights!

The skimmer has been going and it is pulling tons of crap. I ahve lost a couple of fish too. Then again, they may be still there and just not coming out. This mickey mouse crap, the having to hunt down gas, and the other problems are getting old pretty soon. I hope we get power back soon though. That whole house generator has never looked so much better.

Good luck Alberto. I have my fingers crossed for you too. It sounds like you guys got it pretty bad there like Freeport, Grand Bamaha did. I just talked to my mom last night for the first time since Wilma passed through and she said in one area, coffins came out of the ground and bodies were everywhere. Also, I lady and her 1 year old babywas being rescued and the winds pulled the baby out of the mothers hand and out into the ocean...Really sad, as they found the baby later deceased. Hope all goes well quickly for you Alberto.

Alberto, I agree it is more important to keep the water cool at this point. Your corals should be able to make it a week without light and only minimal losses. Your fish, of course, will make it indefinitely. I would still try to run some actinics if possible. Does the tank get any sunlight by any chance?

What fish do you think you lost? i hope the Morish Idol is still ok along with your regal and achilles tang.

good luck and i hope you get power back soon.

Nick

Well, we got phone yesterday and today we got power back after 5 days and 10 hours of misery. What an ordeal. Gas lines are getting better, but most gas stations still have pretty big lines. For a while there it would take an entire day (if you are lucky) to get gas.

Lost about 10 qcros and I think I lost some fish. I say I think because I have not seen them yet (male and 2 female carpenter fairy wrasse, blue sided fairy wrasse, mandarin goby, and an anthia or two. The rest is fine, but everything looks pretty beat up after the dark time. Could ahve been much worse. I could ahve been having conversations with my neighbor for 2 days afterwards while sitting in our roofs:( :( :(

I ran a generator for about 18-20 hours per day and would turn it off at night for the noise factor. Not many of my neighbors would continue to respect me and have sympathy for my efforts to save my tank if they can't sleep at night. I ran the skimmer during the on time to increase oxygenation. Worked well. Now I ahve to fine tun it some more. Turns out the wet nexk works well, but it needs fine tunning too.

I certainly learned a lot from this experience. What to do and what not to do next time around. I certainly have a whole house generator to install, but it will be much smaller than the unit I had in mind. 2 of my neighbors were prime examples of what good and bad planning can do for you. One bought a 25 KW unit last year to run from a 250g propane tank burried in his yard. The unit will run everything in the house including one of the 2 central AC. That is awesome, but someone forgot to tell him that the generator uses the same amount f propane whether he is using a ton of electricity or not. Also, they forgot to tell him how long the propane tank would last. 3 days later he was seen walking around with candles in his house as he could not get anybody to come refill the propane tank:p The guy across from him, bought a 7 KW gasoline unit and also got a propane kit to connect to it. He then rigged it to the house's breaker box to power the entire house (most important things at least) and connected it to his 250g propane tank. That thing could have run for a month!!!!!! Live and learn. I will likely get a 9 or 13 KW unit so I can run everything in the tank including the chiller and also the fridge and a few outlets and lights. That is plenty for me and will last very long time on my 500g propane tank. It is a priority and will get done once things settle a little.

Som pictures later on. I have not been online as often as of late, so I ahve to take my usual trip to the end of the itnernet and back.

Back