A 750g SPS system is born

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Glad to hear from you again Alberto. Sorry about the losses you had, but like you said, you could have sitting on your roof chatting with your neighbor. You plan to get a generator sounds pretty solid, good luck with that.

It is certainly good to hear from you. I am glad things are going back to normal for you aswell. I hope you didn't loose to much. Atleast, on a side note, anything you lost is replacable and your ok. Looking forward to another update.

I need a consult!!!

Corals:

Well, the last few weeks/months have been very frustrating with the tank. First of, corals have not been growing like they should. Then, they start to RTN lowly for no apparent reason. Over the last few weeks, I have lost 30-0 acros altogether. Not a particular type seem to be affected more than others. They all just rtn over a couple of days time. Then, on to the next one. I have tried to save a few by cutting seemingly healthy branches and gluing them elsewhere, but they still die eventually. Colors have been pretty mediocre at best too. Any ideas here???

Fish:

Allt he fish had been extremely cleam and free of an disease at all. Of course, with this up and down temperature changes due to the lack of power for so long (Hurrican Wilma) the achilles and the powder blue are showing ick. Nothing else is sick though. As a matter of fact, aside from the ick they are all extremely fat for the amount of foods I add.

temp 80 degrees
salinity 1.025
pH 8.0-8.3
alk 9.6
Mg 1160
ammonia 0
nitratres 0
nitritres 0
PO4 (salifert kit) 0
Run carbon
Run a little of phosban
bare bottom
good flow

Alberto...

Me personally I think its the Phosban... I have had Extremely poor Experiences with it as well as a few others that I have known... Since I have stopped using Phosban Everything seems to be fine Except my algae issues... Others that I have know to have issues usually start to REceed from the Tips on Down... I know a few that will never use it again as well as myself...

Just my .02

James

Alberto,

Hang in there man. I can't imagine the stress/frustation you've experienced with your tank and lack of power. IMO your tangs will bounce back with good water quality. I never sweet a small ich out break because of stress as long as the stress is removed, i.e Power.

I have also been fighting RTN on a few SPS for no apparent reason. I've lost 3 large SPS colonys over the last month? (Fragged them and fine now) My advise is large water changes for the next few weeks to try and get your water to balance. Also maybe bring your Mg to about 1350. I know in the past when a few of my SPS have RTN in my reef it was from low Mg. Personally 1350 works for me.

Good Luck and hang in there.

The amount of phosban I use is ridiculously small for the water volume and I even gone a few months without it to see if it made any difference.

I know the Mg is low. I was going to top it off, but with no electricity int he area the stores are closed.

The other frustrating element has been some mechanical issues as well. My chiller to be specific. As some of you may remember, I had a few issues in the past that had been resolved. However, I recently had some problems with it again, which were addressed (poorly I may add). Now I am having another problem with it. Let me remind you this is a brand new unit running for about 8 months!!!!

Alberto think you were given a few good thoughs, it is sad to see you put so much into your tank & with Whilma it didn't make things better. Have you ever heard about aqua logic chillers, I know they are pricy but may be worth it. Hang in there man it will get better.

Maybe try and bump the mag up alittle.

also the chiller, if you are looking for a new one, JBJ artica makes a comercial line, i have the 1/2 hp and love it, but they make bigger units all the way up to 3 hp i think. i know Chuck (moonpod) also uses the same chiller, he recommend it to me so that may be something to look into.

Nick

Sorry I'm late again...Darn computer needs to get back here from being fixed!(LOL) Glad you've gotten your power back on Alberto...Hope all goes well for you!

dgasmd said:
Well, we got phone yesterday and today we got power back after 5 days and 10 hours of misery. What an ordeal. Gas lines are getting better, but most gas stations still have pretty big lines. For a while there it would take an entire day (if you are lucky) to get gas.

I certainly learned a lot from this experience. What to do and what not to do next time around. I certainly have a whole house generator to install, but it will be much smaller than the unit I had in mind. 2 of my neighbors were prime examples of what good and bad planning can do for you. One bought a 25 KW unit last year to run from a 250g propane tank burried in his yard. The unit will run everything in the house including one of the 2 central AC. That is awesome, but someone forgot to tell him that the generator uses the same amount f propane whether he is using a ton of electricity or not. Also, they forgot to tell him how long the propane tank would last. 3 days later he was seen walking around with candles in his house as he could not get anybody to come refill the propane tank:p The guy across from him, bought a 7 KW gasoline unit and also got a propane kit to connect to it. He then rigged it to the house's breaker box to power the entire house (most important things at least) and connected it to his 250g propane tank. That thing could have run for a month!!!!!! Live and learn. I will likely get a 9 or 13 KW unit so I can run everything in the tank including the chiller and also the fridge and a few outlets and lights. That is plenty for me and will last very long time on my 500g propane tank. It is a priority and will get done once things settle a little.

Alberto,
I'm very interested in learning more about your neighbors experiance's with whole house generators. If I understand you correctly, The neighbor who bought a smaller generator, got one that runs on both Propane and Gasoline? Can you give me some more specifics on this, and about his generator set up?
I dont have a generator yet, but plan on buying one for the whole house eventually. I hadnt thought of the problems you mentioned with your one neighbor who bought the huge generator that burned through all his propane in 3 days. We occassionally get some nasty T-storms here in the Midwest, and we recently had one that knocked power out for over 7 days in some areas...

Nick

I am glad you posted that about the generators Alberto. I would have never thought that the generator would burn the same amount of gas, regardless of the load. I will definitely keep this in mind when I finally decide to purchase one.

Nick:

I don't have the link here, but there are some places online that you can get kits to adapt a gasoline generator to run on propane. Just do a google search. If I find the link I will post it here.

Travis:

That is not entirely true. They do use less fuel if the load is much less, but in the grand scheme of things it is very little difference.

OK, so after being jelous of people like travis, melev, Steve Weast, and others for having their own website, I broke down and burned a few hours this weekend doing one too. It is pretty simple and it needs lots of work still, but hopefully I'll get it there over time.

The contact page does not work for ome reason. I think I have to configure the server or something like that, so I may get it working later on. Tell me what you think overall. Please be honest and objective about it. I seriously want to improve it.

www.dgasmd.org

Neat tank, i assume you will be building walls to make it a two panel viewing from either side,right? Not to be critical, but get more dynamic with you rock work/aquascaping. I have never been to a reef that looked like a grocery aisle. maybe make a canal in the center, with some overhangs for corals i dunno, aquascaping is my favorite part of setting up a new tank. it can really take a tank to the next level. I love your lighting the track turned out awesome . I cant wait to see your tank finished, well sorry no tank is ever finished. Looks great though

Maybe if you don't have anything to do sometime in the next few hours you could read trough the 36 pages in this thread and see that just about every point you bring up has been addressed several times over. Thanks for the comments anyway.

never mind im an idiot its in the previous post, ill check back, are there cliff notes i dont have a couple of hours. j/k

Back