A 750g SPS system is born

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well, I have been working with GEO for the last few weeks to build me a monster CC air stone skimmer. It is almost packed and on its way to me. Here is a teaser of a couple of preliminary pictures. It will have 4-5 of the 12" ceramic air stones pushed by a yet to be determined air pump.

kevinpo said:
Very nice Alberto! I really like the finish. Does it hold up well or does it scuff or chip? After 4.5 years I still don't have a cabinet :rolleyes:
Humidity is always the big issue with larger tanks.

Regards,
Kevin

Thanks Kevin. The material is very resistant as it is actually made for outdoor use. No scratches or scuffing so far. I did notice a couple of places warping a tiny bit. I will be soon adding another small 4" far to combat humidity. This one will take out the air from above the tank to the garage. This will also draw more cool air from the house to the above the tank area.

I use a 8" 500cfm squirrel cage type fan for evacuation and a 8" 200cfm inline duct type intake fan. I used to have a 400cfm duct fan for exhaust but they only last about 14 months before the humidity and salt kills the motor. The squirrel cage type has the motor mounted externally outside the duct.

Regards,
Kevin

kevinpo said:
I use a 8" 500cfm squirrel cage type fan for evacuation and a 8" 200cfm inline duct type intake fan. I used to have a 400cfm duct fan for exhaust but they only last about 14 months before the humidity and salt kills the motor. The squirrel cage type has the motor mounted externally outside the duct.

Regards,
Kevin

Do you have a picture of those??

Alberto

Alberto your project/tank has been a blast to follow. I appreciate you keeping the thread going... Finally someone else that changes things more than I do :)

That skimmer is insane... I am looking forward to when those SPS require a Ca-reactor that rivals it in size :)

I think you may find when going to 10K XMs things are too yellow. VHO's only penetrate so-far in deep tanks. Of course once those coral grow within a few inches of the top I guess it wont matter ;)

jlehigh said:
Alberto your project/tank has been a blast to follow. I appreciate you keeping the thread going... Finally someone else that changes things more than I do :)

That skimmer is insane... I am looking forward to when those SPS require a Ca-reactor that rivals it in size :)

I think you may find when going to 10K XMs things are too yellow. VHO's only penetrate so-far in deep tanks. Of course once those coral grow within a few inches of the top I guess it wont matter ;)

I may stick with the 20,000 K radiums afterall. Intensity has not been an issue here as things are growing very well. Most people exagerate things when it comes to reef tanks. It is not just about the lights, or flow, or feeding, or the skimmer. It is about the combination of things. So many people miss the entire concept. I have changed some things because they did not turn out as I planned them. Plans and reality are not necessarily the same 100% of the times. You just have to always leave room for change as nothing is ever permanent.

As far as the Ca reactor needs, I can tell you that my current reactor should be able to keep up with the tank easily even when maxed out in corals. As t is, even with the signific ant growth I am experiencing, the reactor is at very minimal settings. So much room to go from here that I am not worried.

I am glad you have enjoyed the thread so far. I have certainly learned a lot from this tank and hope others have too. There is no manual for these things, but each one of us have the duty and responsibility to make it easier for the next guy by documenting the process.

I hope all is well there after the hurricane.

Do you have an air pump for the skimmer picked out yet?

What air stones are you going to use?

AcroSteve said:
I hope all is well there after the hurricane.

Do you have an air pump for the skimmer picked out yet?

What air stones are you going to use?

Thanks for the hurricane concerns. It actually passed through Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. I am about an hour north of that, so on most days we see more rain than what we got because of it. I heard from a couple of people further south and they tell me there are some power outtages in some areas, but not too bad like last year.

I haven't decided on the air pump yet. I am thinking an Alita, but I'll get on the phone with aquatic ecosystems and duke it out with them. The air stones I will use is the ones they sell that are 12" long.

Here are the diffusers.

Alita air pumps

Here are the other choices for the blowers. I need to talk to them and figure it out.

Skimmer is on its way and should be here wed. :D :D :D

Hi Alberto, glad to hear you & your family missed the Hurricane-eye. You will like the Berlin-style skimmer :) I used a super-modified 6 1/2 ft. tall MTC air-stone skimmer in the late 80's to mid-90's from Jeff & Leo, & it worked wonderfully. Eventually, I fell victim to procrasinatation when the air-stones needed replacing & part-time inefficiency resulted :( Keep in touch, Bob

Hey Alberto,

Awesome setup man. I see so much promise in that system. :) In two years after a lot of your colonies have grown out, that thing is going to be ridiculous!

Peace,
John

Thanks guys. Here are some pictures of the skimmer. I just got it yesterday, but it will be a little while before I hook it up. I ahve too many other things going on right now, so it will have to take a back seat for a couple of weeks at least.

The air intake will be at the bottom via a bulkhead supplying the manifold inside with 5-6 of the 12" stones. I still have not decided on the air supply source.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

10.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

12.jpg

Last edited:
HOLY MOLY! Now that is a skimmer. I wish I could be there when it starts foaming and taking all of the stuff out that your other skimmer is leaving behind. That will be a glorious sight. So what are the dimensions of the skimmer? What are you going to use to supply the wet neck... a tee off from your skimmer pump? And if you wouldn't mind, could you pm me what it cost you? That thing looks beautiful. I would love to have one as the centerpiece in my living room!

Lordy Gawd!!!! Geo built you that beast????????
Just to be clear, this is an Airstone Skimmer, like has been building?
I need one of these!!!!.....just...uh.....a little smaller....

Nick

dgasmd said:
Thanks guys. HEre are some pictures of the skimmer. I just got it yesterday, but it will be a little while before I hook it up. I ahve too many other things going on right now, so it will have to take a back seat for a couple of weeks at least.

The air intake will be at the bottom via a bulkhead supplying the manifold inside with 5-6 of the 12" stones. I still have not decided on the air supply source.

good lord, I thought my Bubble King 400 was big WOW :eek:

The skimmer's box is 16"x16"x12". The main chamber is 12" diameter an it is 6' tall. I divided the chamber so I can take out the bottom piece if I wanted and use it in a shorter version. It will be fed 750-900 gph at most. The wet neck will be fed by the same source feeding the skimmer. I was planning on feeding it by T'ing off my current chiller pump, but I think I will just dedicate an iwaki 40 I have laying around to it. The wet neck will be fed just enough to mantain the flow down the walls, which is whatever that is. This thing is so tall when I (5' 7") raise my hand up, it barely touches the very top of it.

No question in my mind I over did it on this one :lol: :D :lol:

Back