ac7av tank build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Cool vid Erik, I'm definately going to have to make an Island visit to check out your reeftank sometime soon. I have some more thinning out to do so will bring gifts for your tank.

Todd

Hey Todd, that’s cool. It’s starting to look more like a reef every day. I got a few things that were on Jason’s free list when I picked up the fish that look interesting. As with the LPS corals I had, the monti cap that I got is not looking to good. Its starting to get white around the edges so I thing its on a quick road to dead like the other hard corals. I Thought I’d give it a try on the sps but looks like this tank just can handle that kind of stuff. Oh well the softies are all doing good and they look nice waving in the water.

Erik,

I am glad to see the RBTA doing well. It looks happy from the pics I've seen.

Just thought I’d post a few pictures of the newer stuff I have in the corals department.

b_163753.jpg

b_163808.jpg

b_164027.jpg

b_164044.jpg

b_171356.jpg

b_171441.jpg

b_171523.jpg

b_171605.jpg

b_171654.jpg

Well I stopped by the local pet center to stock up on some fish food and looked over the fishes in the display tanks. You know, when you look at your own stuff all the time it’s hard to tell the changes in size but after looking at the fish in the store I am starting to see how stinking big some of my fish are. No wonder I have to spend $70.00 a month in food for these pigs.

I set up the camera yesterday and just let it run for a while. Please enjoy, I sure do.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/16135900?byline=0" width="800" height="450" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Thanks guys,
I appreciate it. I use to have tank envy and never really wanted to show anyone my tank because I just wasn’t happy with it. After a lot of thought about it I set up this tank in such a way that was interesting to me and my wife. The inspiration came in a large part by a member that has not been active on here for a couple of years now, but he had a opinion that stood out to me about keeping a saltwater tank and that was just do what makes you happy not what others say is the way to do it so that’s what I did this time around. This tank has brought me a lot of joy and everyone in my family enjoys it as well. My son took a big picture of the tank and fish to school for there sharing class they have on Wednesdays. That was cool.

Like anything in my life it seems I’m still working on it but for the most part it’s a complete working system and it has blown just about every rule of thumb out of the water for fish and rock but it works for me. When I realized I really had accomplished what I set out to on this tank is when I started this thread. I love my tank and know every fish in it and the personalities of each. I spend hours looking at it each day and admiring the rock work my self. Now if I can just make a decision on the sand to use I’ll be good. It probably would make my wrasse happy but he still finds enough to pile up in the back and sleep in. That’s the strangest thing I ever saw was when my fish goes to sleep, it literally looks like a dead fish half buried in the sand. I vacuumed out the gravel I had in the tank probably 5 months ago. Talk about your procrastinator.

Last edited:
All this time you were fretting and you had one of the coolest scapes out there! LOL :)
I really dig the way the rock looks, as if it is coming out of the water in some spots.

Thanks
The rock doesn’t quite hit the surface except when the return pump is off but the power head on the left leaves a wake over the rock. If a snail is on the top its shell pokes out of the water surface. Most of the small pieces of rock are on the bottom. The largest pieces are on the top with a few exceptions on the small rock. This was to try and create a lot of open spaced threw much of the rock and provide plenty of space for each fish to have a place of its own at night. In pictures and video the rock on the left ¼ of the tank looks pretty solid but it is very open and many of the fish bed there at night.

I wanted to have a more 3 dimensional look to the tank. unfortunately it never translates well to pictures but with the fish if you watch closely you can see how its put together and how the large cave structure works as the zoom in and out the various openings. The anemone you see on the left actually has its foot over 12 inches away on the ceiling of the cave. At night unless your were really look for it you would never know that a 10 to12 in anemone lives there.

Your rock work is really nice, and i like all of the movement that your tank has with all of the fish in it.

How did you get all of those the damsel pairs? Did you buy them already paired up?

Your rock work is really nice, and i like all of the movement that your tank has with all of the fish in it.

How did you get all of those the damsel pairs? Did you buy them already paired up?

It was just the luck of the draw I think. Damsels are like clown and closely related. If you get them when they are small chances are they are all still females or immature females. Like clowns the male will develop if pared and unlike clowns the male damsel will be larger then the female. I have several couples that lay eggs every 4 to 5 days. It is strange that both yellow tail blue damsels are pared with the azure damsels. The yellow tails are the male in both sets. The 3 line damsels where the first to pair up and there nest is in the center of the tank. The others are way off in each left and right bottom corners of the tank. One of these days I will try and raise some of fry but it looks like its time consuming and I don’t have the time right now to fuss with them.

Have you tried to shoot the pictures from an angle instead of straight on? Try to catch the corner of the glass in the angle shot and see what happens.

I have tried from every possible angle but on a flat screen it all looses its depth. If you look back a page or two I took a video of me walking around the tank and it can give you a better look of the way the rocks are in the tank but aside from the pictures I took with my camera phone when not all the rock was in the tank and no water was in the tank you just cant tell what’s going on. Here are a couple of pictures I tried to take the other day from different angles but I even know what I’m looking at and it just doesn’t translate to the flat screen at all.

b_181109.jpg

b_181130.jpg

b_181150.jpg

A thank you goes out to thatguy559 for a couple of clarkii clownfish to add to my addiction. They will be chilling in QT for a while but are already eating good.

b_091728.jpg

b_091811.jpg

Back