acro power/feeding

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I don't have any before and after pics but I do have a couple top down shots I took last night.

ybureber.jpg

upy5ysup.jpg

y2ute9yb.jpg

Last night, after only one dose of acro power. I had polyp extension after lights out on a few coral that I have never seen before. The corals normally extend an 1/8" on the growth tips were extending 1/4".

Last night, after only one dose of acro power. I had polyp extension after lights out on a few coral that I have never seen before. The corals normally extend an 1/8" on the growth tips were extending 1/4".

Did you dose lights on, or after lights out? (just wondering if what you saw was in direct relation to the dose, or if there was time in between)

I dosed around 3:30 and the lights went out at 10:00. I kept some lights on for an extra hour last night. This morning I've dosed again already and can tell a difference in polyp extension on certain corals already.

Missed dosing last night, dosed this morning.
Planning on grabbing a BRS doser once I have enough needed items put together to not pay shipping. Found some old phone pics last night. (I'll see if I can get them posted at some point, but they are phone pics, so, crappy anyway) Something is going well according to the pics. This stuff isn't expensive enough to take out of the loop, so, I think I'm going to automate it in.

Are you still seeing 'good' results also Duane? Wondering if I splitting up the dose is more the way to go here...

I like brightwell products. Many of the food supplements like zooplanktos & microvore are fortified with amino acid.

I also like Brightwell products. I use the Microvore supplement and I also use the Brightwells Amino Omega. That really made a difference in my tank with my corals. All of my zoa's just opened right up. I want to try the zooplanktos sometime.

I also like Brightwell products. I use the Microvore supplement and I also use the Brightwells Amino Omega. That really made a difference in my tank with my corals. All of my zoa's just opened right up. I want to try the zooplanktos sometime.

I've seen a bunch of posts about algae blooms with Brightwell, which is part of why I ruled it out as I was researching this. (the RB review is what finally pushed me to the acro power). I think you are the second or third to post on this thread about Brightwell, but I'm pretty sure (being too lazy to go back and read ATM) that at least one of the three who mentioned them here also noted algae problems.
Tanks have such individual personalities that its hard for anything to work for everyone though...Advanced Aquarist has a new article up with a scientific paper linked (that I will probably understand 1% of) about nutrients that I haven't gotten to yet.... but the summary notes that we've gotten really good at stripping them, and are finally at the point of discovering what/how much to put back... I'm thinking/hoping amino's in general are part of that equation.

Is Red Sea Reef Energy the same kind of treatment?

yes (and no). Both A and B have aminos. I haven't done a side by side, but I assume because of the fact that its a two part addition they have tried to 'tailor' the aminos in A to match up with the additional vitamins and fatty acids in A, and the same with B...

yes (and no). Both A and B have aminos. I haven't done a side by side, but I assume because of the fact that its a two part addition they have tried to 'tailor' the aminos in A to match up with the additional vitamins and fatty acids in A, and the same with B...

FWIW. I've been using Both A and B and have been mostly happy with them. On the plus side my acros have colored up nicely! The negative has been a bloom of hair algae which may have been due to the fact that my RO/DI needed new filters and membrane. I was getting an ouput of 5-7 TDS. I just replaced everything and am now back to 0 TDS. I'll have to wait and see if that clears up the algae situation.

I haven't had any algae problems with the Brightwells. When I noticed the algae problems is when I had been using Two Little Fishies marine snow as a food supplement and I had algae. I ran out of it and hadn't used it for about 2 weeks, I noticed that my algae was disappearing. I think that was the cause of my problems. I was told that it was because I was using Reef Nutrition Phytofeast that was causing the algae outbreak. I stopped using that and it had no effect at all, but when I stopped the marine snow, that made the difference. I still use the Brightwells AminoOmega and the Microvore and no algae problem, so I know it isn't that. Just my experience with it. I won't try the AcroPower until it has been out a little longer to see how it performs.

i just bought a bottle of acro power at barrier reef today. i am going to get on the band wagon and try it out.

normal dose last week as usual. ordered a doser and a gallong jug of the stuff to split it up over the week (gallon jugs on amazon)
advanced aquarist has an article on aminos that is too technical for me to read this late in the day, so i can't say whether its a 'good artcile', but just an fyi that it exists...

I was so impressed with Brightwell's AminoOmega that I don't think I will ever change, I like it that much. I think the Acropower is pretty much the same thing but my corals seem to have responded well to the Brightwell stuff. Keep us abreast how that stuff works.

Ive been dosing 10ml a day for about a month now. I can tell my corals have better color and better polyp extension.

From all the threads I've read, dosing every day around "tank high noon" is the way to get best results

Back