Amphiprionidae (Clownfish) Workshop

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few questions

I have a couple of questions. I am working on setting up a tank (55 gal.) and would like to have a pair of Ocellaris clowns. The thing is, it might be a while before I get my tank going (I know where I want to get my live rock, and it's expensive, so I need to save up). Would it be okay, in the meantime, to get a pair of clowns and keep them in my quarintine tank? It's only 10 gallons, but I thought I read somewhere (maybe in this thread?) that they would be happy in a 10 gallon tank. The other thing, of course, is that since it's my quarintine tank, I don't have a protein skimmer for it, just a Whisper Power Filter (I did get the Bio sponge for it). I would put some aragonite in it for them.

If I do get them, that means they will be the first ones in my display tank, when I get it going. Would that be a problem? The other fish I'm planning on getting include 3-blue/green chromis, 1-firefish, 1-neon gold goby, and perhaps a yellow watchmen goby.

What do you think?

well, they might do ok with just a bio filter, but u'd need to cycle it first, i'm sure you've read about that, other wise you torture the fish with ammonia but as far as your tank i think it'd work out perhaps buy a small amount of live rock at a time if you want to get them early but take your time
i'd put the firefish in near the begining too though since they're shy, this really isn't a workshop question though
more of a general discussion, but i may infact be wrong, a more exact clown related question i think would be tank size requirements for clowns which i don't remember if elmo's covered that at all

Last edited:
question about clowns, as of now i've got your four clarkii's and one true perc, how would the true perc do with all the clarkii's for a month or too while i try and get rid of my yellow tang? all about the same size

Great thread........I didn't know these little buggers where so complex.

I have a mated pair and a friend. They initally tried to kill the odd man out and ripped him up pretty good. I thought he was going to die. Then the pair accepted him and he guards the eggs when the pair runs off to eat.

The pair breed freely in the tank every three to four weeks. They have breed several dozen times. Some of the eggs batches are huge, with 2 to 3 hundred eggs. The other fish don't seem to bother the process at all. They guard the eggs and they hatch, but the fry are quickly eaten by the other fish.

I thought these photos would be of interest.

clownmating3.jpg

clownmating2.jpg

clownmating1.jpg

Last edited:
chick_glue1989 said:
does neone know how big cinamon clowns get before they are at breeding age, i hav no idea how old myn are?

I have not seen any cinnamon clowns spawn less than 3" total length. Size is one aspect, but male/female/pair bonding is much more important, in addition to their diet, and water stability.

Best,
Ilham

I was wondering what complex a fire clown would be ? Tomato ? And how could i introduce one into my tank.See i already have a adult fire clown and a long tentacle anenome..that i have had for about a year ...Any Comment's..????

Ilham

wat personal exp do u hav in breeding cinamoon clowns.
myn r in a tank witha bi-color. they still arnt noticing the anemone ....:(

im loving this thread and was wondering what u guys in america pay for single clowns such as a.occelaris a.prec and other speices also how much is a mated pair of maroon clowns worth in america
p.s. im from australia and am always comparing prices e.g harliquen tusk fish $99aust
any replys will be appreciated

lfs's sell ocelleris usually $20 usually small juv. here in washington true percs run $30-35 though local people like elmo have fish for much cheaper, lfs's sell tomato and clarkii's for $20 usually too i've seen saddlebacks but don't remember the price, haven't seen much aside from that in lfs's, though i saw black clarkii's once for $30 and i've heard there have been some black ocelleris

MarineTeng said:
lfs's sell ocelleris usually $20 usually small juv. here in washington true percs run $30-35 though local people like elmo have fish for much cheaper, lfs's sell tomato and clarkii's for $20 usually too i've seen saddlebacks but don't remember the price, haven't seen much aside from that in lfs's, though i saw black clarkii's once for $30 and i've heard there have been some black ocelleris

That's about right. :)

Best,
Ilham

Section 5...continued..

This almost comes to the end of Section 5. The "Look and Stare" technique will also work for the addition of a larger female, or larger maroon clownfish to an already smaller maroon in the tank. In this situation, a larger 'specimen container' should be used so as to not 'scare' or excite the larger maroon in the holding specimen container. Again you want to watch carefully for any lunges within the box if the smaller maroon comes to inspect. So lets just recap this section on pairing your future or present clownfishes....

Recap of pairing

• A preferred method of pairing is either to purchase a larger clownfish, and a smaller clownfish of the same species
  • Another great way is to purchase two juveniles/young clownfishes of the same species, and arguably near the same size
  • Tank-raised clownfishes normally show less agression than wild-caught clownfishes
  • Clownfish pairing is different from one individual fish to another; i.e. the Look and Stare technique may work with your two maroons, but may not work with your friend's (just be patient....)
  • As hobbyists, the health of your animals should be priority, so when attacks or lunges by a larger clownfish occur continuously, be ready to take action, and attempt a new individual fish

In the next section, we will look at some characteristic words that are used at times correctly, and at other times incorrectly in this hobby and market, which are used to identify two clownfishes.

Best,
Ilham

(post 12)

P.S. I do have to apologize for the long delay in between posts.

i have one question
I believe i got it, but just to make sure... do you think the best way to go with my Ocellaris female is to introduce the baby/s with a specimen container?
because Maroons are mean, but what about an Ocellaris that doesn't have a partner right now

i had a black ocellaris quiet large had been in the tank for almost 2 years by her self i added a smalled one maybe inch in total lenght maybe slightly bigger had the bag in there for awhiel so she could see it and they were drawn to each other love at first site i tell ya i then acclimatized and set the littel fellow free and have been good friends every scince dont think they are old enough to spawn but time will tell might brea some never know

thank you morgan :) .
My clownfish has been alone for about a year.
One time i put a baby ocellaris in the tank (i believe a few weeks after my clownfish died ) and she stared at the baby for quite sometime, then she kind of protected him but then after a week or so... she wasn't happy with the baby i guess.
That's why i was wondering if i'd need a specimen container if i try again :) .

have u added your 2nd clown fish yet gabby i think if the new fish is bout half the size they should be alright althought every fish has a mentality
wouldnt mind setting up a tank with only clowns and anenomes
how many differnt clown speices can u mix or not at all?

SECTION 6: Defining Clownfish Lingo

SECTION 6: DEFINING CLOWNFISH LINGO

In the previous section, I have discussed several ways of pairing your own clownfishes. There may come a time when instead of creating a pair, you would prefer to buy 'a pair', be it at a local fish store, local breeder, or an online retailer. I will take a step back for a moment and look at some important terms that are involved when describing pairs of clownfishes in our own tanks, and in the hobby in general. This also will help us, as consumers, or future purchasers of clownfishes to know what we are buying.

'Pair' of clownfishes

Just as the heading says, a pair is any two clownfishes of the same species (i.e. two A. ocellaris, A. percula, etc). The word 'pair' has no other denotations, which means that it describes at 'least' two clownfishes. They could be bonded, or mated. However, no other fact is given from the word 'pair' so we treat it like it says--two fishes.​

'Bonded Pair' of clownfishes

A 'bonded pair' of clownfishes is a pair consisting of either the same species or mixed-species (indeed, yes, but occasional occurrences), that have at 'least' established dominance and now show no sign of fighting. They are essentially a pact pair, and ideally will be a pair for 'life' until either one of the two dies, or one of the two is physically taken out of the tank. One fish of a bonded pair usually will follow the other fish around the tank. Very seldom does one of the fish in a 'bonded pair' leave an area unattended by a curiously following fish soon after. A 'bonded pair' may eventually spawn together as a pair and become mated.​

'Mated Pair' of clownfishes

Two clownfishes that are 'mated' are ones that have been proven to have spawned together as a pair. They key words are 'spawning together as a pair'. The reason is suppose you have a wild-caught or tank-raised female clownfish and another male clownfish in the same tank. The female clownfish in the tank may have spawned with another male clownfish in someone else's tank or back in the wild. We have no real proof if she in fact, spawned in the wild. The chances of two 'mated' clownfishes from the wild kept together (i.e. through supplier, shipping, wholesaler, etc) until they are in one of our tanks are so slim. In other words, the only real proof we have that a pair is in fact 'mated' is either photographic proof of the pair with eggs or any evidence of them laying eggs, or having a nest in their tank. As consumers, this does help us. When local fish stores advertise clowns as 'mated pairs', please do not automatically think they have laid eggs. Most often than not, they have not spawned together as a pair. We can say, however, that a 'mated pair' of clownfishes is indeed also a 'bonded pair' of clownfishes. Stores that advertise 'mated pairs', I would only safely assume they are a 'bonded pair' at max. A 'bonded pair' is not a 'mated pair', while a 'mated pair' is definitely a 'bonded pair' (I hope that did not confuse anyone).​

(..to be continued...)

Best,
Ilham

(post 13)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back