Automation remodel

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The power module is really a no brainer. Plug the thing into the wall and plug everything else into the module. There are 8 switched outlets, 1 unswitched and two 9pin plugs but only one is required the other is for a second set of controls.
The nine pin cable is very basic, The yellow wire needs 12vd pos. full time and all the others are switched by supplying 12vdc neg. This can be done with a float switch, optical sensor, magnetic sensor, toggle switch, plc, automation controller or anything else you can think of.
There is no need to build the diy relay boxes or fiddle with a bunch of wires.

Don

Last edited:
Another picture. If you can see past the mess, you can tell where I'm going with this.

The peri pump is the carx feed/suction pump. The left ranco is the 1-10 output for the secu16 and the other ranco is just a regular ranco.

Don

Wow, very nicely done! I'm currently working on my own controller, but I took a slightly different path. I'm using Dallas 1-wire devices for I/O and java/SQL db for the logic. I'm more of a software than hardware guy, so I needed something easy.

Wow, very nicely done! I'm currently working on my own controller, but I took a slightly different path. I'm using Dallas 1-wire devices for I/O and java/SQL db for the logic. I'm more of a software than hardware guy, so I needed something easy.

That stuff is way over my head. I can only handle simple logic,

Don

I suppose easy and simple are relative :)

Since you have so many I/Os, do you do monitor for fires with something like a flame detector or smoke alarm? Smoke alarm should be easy enough to add, especially the ones with a light.

I suppose easy and simple are relative :)

Since you have so many I/Os, do you do monitor for fires with something like a flame detector or smoke alarm? Smoke alarm should be easy enough to add, especially the ones with a light.

Yes, thats the house portion. I did it a long time ago. Its got plenty itself along with a full IR system. My family calls the house haunted.

Don

Just a little wiring.
automate%20005.jpg

Looks nice Don, think once you get this all hooked up & working you'll be able to explain how it all works in layman's terms? :D It is hard to see the big picture without knowing how it all works together.:shock:

Looks nice Don, think once you get this all hooked up & working you'll be able to explain how it all works in layman's terms? :D It is hard to see the big picture without knowing how it all works together.:shock:

I know it kind of look high tech but its not really, otherwise I wouldnt be able to set it all up.:)
The Ocelot is just a little box that runs a program that you write. The software used to write the program is so easy a child could use it. Its just basic logic like, IF I turn the key THEN start the car.

The secu16 is connected to the ocelot with 2 wires. Its really two devices. The first tells the ocelot what is happening, for example: I turned the key, the ocelot would look at the program you wrote and decide what to do.
The the ocelot would tell the second part of the secu16 to turn on a relay that starts the car.

Basicly in this application with the ATO. A float switch connected to the secu16 closes, That goes to the ocelot and the ocelot tells the secu16 to turn on one of its relays. All that relay does is give a 12- to the power module. The power module is nothing more than 8 relay controlled outlets in one neat package.
For the ATO it would work just like any other diy or otherwise. In fact you dont even need the ocelot or the secu16. You could just hook a float switch or 8 directly to the power module and you'd have a full top off system.

The logic is what makes the ATO smart. It gives the ability to look any anything connected to the ocelot and react differently based on conditions.
So lets assume your in the shower and your sump explodes. The top off float will turn on, as will the low level float. The ocelot see's these two combined so it shuts down the retun pump, skimmer, chiller and heaters and does not turn on the ato. It also saw that the bathroom has active motion so it in turn starts flashing the bathroom lights off and on, telling you to get out off the shower. You suck up the mess and head out to get a new sump and the ocelot sees the temp in the tank rise,so it shuts down the haides and turns on a few pc fans. Youve been gone three hours and the ocelot sees the temp start to fall so it turns the haides back on and shuts off the fans. Well you stopped at the bar and got to drunk to drive so you stay in the hotel:) The ocelot sees the tank water level evaporating so it diverts the ato directly to the tank. You finally decide to come home all hung over and install the new sump. Push the reset button and everthing fires back up resuming normal operation.

Don

So simple. It's child's play.. :D

It is really. If you can turn a screw driver and have a little imagination its very simple. I think most find it overwhelming because there is so much that can be done and is only limited by your imagination.:)

Don

I'm sure it is Don. It makes sense to me. Nothing but a bunch of low voltage connections to relay's that turn stuff on/off based upon sensors input.

This was my response the your "Sump Blows up.... Alerts you in the shower.... You get drunk.... Press reset and all goes back to normal" I thought it was just funny how you ran through the logic of the programing.

Keep up the good work. One of these day's you'll have to have a open house so we can see all this automation at work. :)

I'm sure it is Don. It makes sense to me. Nothing but a bunch of low voltage connections to relay's that turn stuff on/off based upon sensors input.

This was my response the your "Sump Blows up.... Alerts you in the shower.... You get drunk.... Press reset and all goes back to normal" I thought it was just funny how you ran through the logic of the programing.

Keep up the good work. One of these day's you'll have to have a open house so we can see all this automation at work. :)

Ya Scooty asked for laymans, but is is pretty comical the things that can be done. I keep telling myself I'm going to automate the toilet flusher with air freshener and all and have the parts to do it but never get around to getting it done. :)

Don

I keep telling myself I'm going to automate the toilet flusher with air freshener and all and have the parts to do it but never get around to getting it done. :)

Don

LOL, That's a good.. I'd probably pay some money to see that.

Back