Ben's Mixed Reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

woah - how did I miss this thread...

man, that looks awesome! great work my friend!

i can't believe how 'grown up' the frags I gave you are now.

(big smile) Thanks Matt ;) I still have a lot of growing left to do on them yet, but I've got the whole variety goal down at least. That pink mili that I got from you especially has been a steady grower as has the blue stag. The purple gonsai is one of my favorites and I wish that had the same ability to grow as the other two, but I'm hoping he'll start to catch on too. :D

First of all, congrats to your beautiful tank.
Second, what do you think is the reason behind the suddden explosion.
Did you change something? lighting? hardware?

Thanks Cesar. Yeah, the growth I attribute to a couple things. 1) the addition of a calcium reactor (Mattseattle actually sold me a cheapy that worked very well) and 2) just some all around better husbandry. After things started looking better, I would keep an eye on it more, feed it more, do more water changes, etc. 3) just some elapsed time and patience :)

I felt it was a good idea to post some stuff about my tank now b/c I'm jsut about to start an experiment.. I know scary right.. no no growth hormones or anything like that, but some pretty good quality home made food with supporting amino acids that reeferpat and SueT have also been using

anyone want a taste?
396160643_2670de54c7.jpg

here's a link to the thread if you want to learn more about it...http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23289

what is the sps in the front center.

Here are a couple Ed Hahn specials. Thanks Ed!

up front are two little nubs of the Ed Hahn fake purple monster. Also in back is what came to me as a blue Mili, but has since turned a cool green color also from Ed. You have to look close, but it's in the back.

Chad - That's your tricolor there on the left.

396164172_d5b596d32c.jpg

hey Ben. what is the sps coral in the front center. very nice. i would like to get some. were did you get it. talk to ya soon. chad

hey Ben. what is the sps coral in the front center. very nice. i would like to get some. were did you get it. talk to ya soon. chad

Hey Chad thanks.. that's the Ed Hahn fake purple monster. He fragged a bunch of that stuff off at the frag swap for folks. may want to PM him and see if he has any more. It is nice stuff and I can't wait till it grows up :D

Man just beautiful!
Muchas gracias - :D

So, I was visiting my friend Wil at Reef Mystique yesterday and found a really neat looking orange sponge. It's called an Orange Bee Sponge AKA Orange Spiny Sponge.

Here are a couple shots.

It's my first decorative sponge so if anyone can share some care tips they'd like to share, I'd appreciate it. I know they need higher flow. I don't think they need much (if any) light. But wondering if I should supplement feed it with something or if thats not necessary. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

399346784_1fd3d36c8f.jpg

399346786_276e26d6df.jpg

Ben,
Your corals look fantastic. I have looked at them several times. Very nice Tank. I hope mine looks half as nice in future.

Thanks Ed! - Looking forward to the next frag swap and we'll have to do some more trading.

Thanks Augustus! Wish I had the room you have so i could add a couple more fish, but I'm pretty maxed out with just a 55g display.

Most excellent! Thanks for all the fantastic pictures. I am going to take yearly pics. of my tank. You have inspired me. I have a 55 too. Someone gave it to me. Unfortunatly it is not the long one but still glad to have it!

Debbie

Awesome Debbie - glad I could inspire someone. I've certainly been inspired by my share of people on this forum. This hobby is really fun and I love being able to see corals and fish mature over time :)

Frogspawn(now you know why I want a glass tank next time )

Check out Mighty Magnets. THey have a kit for taking out internal scratches. I just got one but haven't tried it yet.

Check out Mighty Magnets. THey have a kit for taking out internal scratches. I just got one but haven't tried it yet.

Jnarowe - you talking about this bad boy?
http://www.mightymagnets.com/scratchk.htm

it's the first time i've seen it. Will you please test it out soon and tell me how it works. the price is spendy, but if it works, It'd be totally worth twice that amount IMO :D

Wow real nice tank :cool:

Oh boy Doc.. Thanks... and if I lived in Cali near your store, it would be 1000% nicer. I've been watching all of those cool things you get in down there at your store and I'm just fascinated at all of it. Keep sharing those cool pictures!

Jnarowe - you talking about this bad boy?
http://www.mightymagnets.com/scratchk.htm

it's the first time i've seen it. Will you please test it out soon and tell me how it works. the price is spendy, but if it works, It'd be totally worth twice that amount IMO :D

Yeah that's it. It is spendy for what it is, but I wanted to see it. I will test it soon and report back. It basically consists of various sandpapers glued to cleaning pads. They go to a very fine grit though that is not commonly available.

Back