Buying my first 8 foot tank...need advise.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thanks G&N! Yes noon 3x400w is sufficient for an 8' though that's not what I'm running. There's only 3x250w on there at present, but I'm adding 4x96w PC's for supplementation, they're just not up there yet. T5's would be better, but I already have ballasts and end caps for the PC's.

Yeah, I'm still him-hawing back and forth over it, fortunately I'll only have to replace ballasts and bulbs if I decide to switch.

Hey pent i was drooling all over your tank today MY GOSH looks amazing , i do hope you figure out that micro bubble issue. But one thing i really want to know was what is that opaque solid stuff sitting beneath you stand in like a half cut out IO salt bucket. some Sci-fi stuff going on under there lol

lol 989, that would be a home grown kalk reactor. Works REALLY well, but it slid in my truck and broke one of the fittings coming through the bucket. Will fix it this weekend. I have a feeling that the bubble trouble is coming from the pump itself. As soon as I get Jonas paid for the hammerhead I bought from him I'm going to swap pumps out and see what happens.

Thanks Danno

Ohhh I can't wait to see home grown kalk reactor :) Ok I am going to have to come visit this weekend and drive Doris crazy on Sunday lol :)

lol...it works really well, cost me about $20 to build and holds enough kalk for about a years worth of dripping for the few SPS/clams that I have.

hmmm you think its a seal in the pump or something it never pulled air in like that before. I am wondering if because it is necked down would be causing it but if thats the case the Hammerhead is going to be even worse. Did you try putting the ball valve on the output to see if that helped?

I did, and I sealed all of the intake fittings with silicone, tried removing the screen, valved it down to about half flow, and it made "some" improvement, but nothing to write home about. The next logical step is to swap pumps and see if there's a change.

Sorry guys, haven't updated this in quite a while. Just thought I'd share a couple of pics of my new etss revolution 750. This thing is sweeeeeeet. It's like watching milk being stirred in the reaction chamber, and this is how much skimmate it pulled out overnight.

Back