dd911's 40B Project...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

So here is my fish list...

First I want to add the less aggressive species.

1. Yasa Hashe Goby
2. Trio of threadfin cardinals
3. 5 sm. green chromis
4. Mystery wrasse
5. sm. Kole tang
6. Flame Hawkfish

I know this is quite the list but I like diversity and plenty of fish poo for the corals...:) Any suggestions?

Hopefully will be adding the snails this week and the fish next week...:)

Fish list Looks good to me! Lots of smaller fishies. You are moving the speed of light buddy especially for this hobby LOL. IMHO you should let that tank sit fishless or just a chromis and CUC for a few months. Rushing to satisfy our right now wants is just going to lead you to more problems later down the road. I think you would enjoy the tank more when you see progress and good growth with your corals rather than battling an on going problem with algae issues due to forcing and rushing the tank to cycle and adding fish prematurely. You know what happens when all we do is battle problem with your tank we suddenly lose interest and want to give up or start over. Then all that hard work was all for nothing.

Last edited:
Fish list Looks good to me! Lots of smaller fishies. You are moving the speed of light buddy especially for this hobby LOL. IMHO you should let that tank sit fishless or just a chromis and CUC for a few months. Rushing to satisfy our right now wants is just going to lead you to more problems later down the road. I think you would enjoy the tank more when you see progress and good growth with your corals rather than battling an on going problem with algae issues due to forcing and rushing the tank to cycle and adding fish prematurely. You know what happens when all we do is battle problem with your tank we suddenly lose interest and want to give up or start over. Then all that hard work was all for nothing.

Yeah I here ya. I think my wife would love to read this as shes all for me not spending more money on this hobby!:lol: I think I'll add the shrimp goby and cardinals in the next couple weeks and maybe the chromis a couple weeks after that. Then the others slowly over the next couple months. Thanks for the reality check Sarang!:)

Yeah I here ya. I think my wife would love to read this as shes all for me not spending more money on this hobby!:lol: I think I'll add the shrimp goby and cardinals in the next couple weeks and maybe the chromis a couple weeks after that. Then the others slowly over the next couple months. Thanks for the reality check Sarang!:)

No problem buddy! I just hate to see you waste hard earned or not money and start over again or worst give up the hobby! Plus your wifey will be much happier. Everyone needs a reality check from time to time. I know I do:lol::lol:!!! I'm glad you didn't take it the wrong way. Sometimes I'm strait to the point people take it the wrong way and feels like i'm being an A$$.

No problem buddy! I just hate to see you waste hard earned or not money and start over again or worst give up the hobby! Plus your wifey will be much happier. Everyone needs a reality check from time to time. I know I do:lol::lol:!!! I'm glad you didn't take it the wrong way. Sometimes I'm strait to the point people take it the wrong way and feels like i'm being an A$$.

Nope I think I know you well enough now...a year or two ago then maybe so.:lol:

As of Saturday April 4th my readings were as follows...

Tested with elos kits (I don't trust the stupid strips I was using):)

Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0.05 ppm
Nitrate 10 ppm

I'm nearing the end of my cycle and should see algae growth any day now. I'm also going to try 3 different zones withing the refugium. The first zone will consist of l/r rubble and bristleworms to consume any uneaten food and detritus. The second zone will be full of pom-pom xenia to help with p04 removal. The third zone will consist of mostly cheatomorpha and feather dusters. Also this is where many of the pods, brittle stars and peanut worms will live. Egg crate will help to seperate each section. I'm going to work on this during the next few days and I'll post pics as well. :)

Last edited:
The xenia aren't necessary when it comes down to it. Chaeto is a plant and all plants use phosphates. In fact, I used my tap water in my freshwater tanks. I measured the brackish tank and it was at 10ppm which is as high as the test goes. I couldn't get a reading in my planted tank even though I dosed kh2po4 to try and keep it at 1ppm. :) Go ahead and put it in there, but like I said, it's not really necessary. Make the fuge bigger and throw in a couple different kinds of macros and get your pod population going.

The xenia aren't necessary when it comes down to it. Chaeto is a plant and all plants use phosphates. In fact, I used my tap water in my freshwater tanks. I measured the brackish tank and it was at 10ppm which is as high as the test goes. I couldn't get a reading in my planted tank even though I dosed kh2po4 to try and keep it at 1ppm. :) Go ahead and put it in there, but like I said, it's not really necessary. Make the fuge bigger and throw in a couple different kinds of macros and get your pod population going.

I only use cheato I'm not a fan of all the others and don't want to risk them getting into the tank. I'm taking the approach that steven11 did w/ his 75g tank. He used pleny of xenia in his fuge and maybe he can chime in on the benefits. The fuge is 20"lx6"wx16"t. Pods and critters will be able to travel between the egg crate and all throughout the refugium. :)

Well, if you're not hard set on using pom-pom, I've got plenty of silver tipped I could give you. The stuff grows like the weed it is for me.

Added my first fish to the tank... a PB tang. Here is a short video of the tank so far...

Here's a pic...

reefvids018.jpg

That's about the same size wave I had going in my 75g. That's when I decided I'd better tone it down before I blow out a seam. Nice looking tang Jayson.

I only use cheato I'm not a fan of all the others and don't want to risk them getting into the tank. I'm taking the approach that steven11 did w/ his 75g tank. He used pleny of xenia in his fuge and maybe he can chime in on the benefits. The fuge is 20"lx6"wx16"t. Pods and critters will be able to travel between the egg crate and all throughout the refugium. :)

I say if you have the room, why not! It worked well for me. My tank was over loaded with fish, under skimmed. But was healthy!

I agree one tang in that tank is just terrible. Get a second one so the poor guy can have a friend. Tank looks great.

Don

Back