dd911's 40B Project...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey I need to start using kalk like you do...then I can get those sticks to grow like 2-3" overnight!:lol: On a serious note, I really need to start dosing kalk. What stuff are you using? Then I can just drip it in instead of having my ato kick on all the time. How do you know how much to use? Do you test your water before and after dosing over a 24hr period? Is there a calculator somewhere?:D

To be honest I don't test my water for anything anymore. Unless I see signs that tell me I need. As far as what type of kalk I use Mrs. wages pickling lime. You can order them through ebay for $4 or $5 for a 1lb. jar. I've always mixed 2 table spoon per gallon. I mix up 5g at a time and that last me about 5 days. I'm at that point where I know almost exactly how much I evap. I evap. about 1g on purpose per 24hrs so that is what I drip. Maybe +/- a few oz.. Since you have the same tank you can probaly do exactly what I'm doing and achieve the same results. Now I know some will chime in here and tell you that you have to have your kalk water air tight in order for the kalk to stay active but I never had any problems with the way I do it and you have seen my tank 1st hand pretty much from inception. I think I've been pretty successful with SPS in my 40b with nothing but the most basic equipment. If you need any further help just let me know. I'll be glad to give you my insight, my opinions and my routine on the matter.

Can you buy Mrs. Wages locally? I will be mixing this up in a 10g aga tank I use for top off. I will be using my aqualifter to drip from the 10g top off to the sump. I only have about 15 sps frags and some lps in the tank right now. Since your demand is more in your tank should I cut the amount of mrs. wages in half and then test to see where I'm at? I just don't want to overdose the tank causing a percipitation event...:lol:

I didn't always have all those corals in my tank you know. I'm not positive but I think you should be fine doing full stregnth right off the bat but if you are not comfortable doing so just mix half stregnth. Also too as far as dripping about a gallon a day I figured out that using a 1/4'' tubing with a little valve. A drip every 3-4 seconds is what I target and that pretty much keep my water level consistant. Oh yeah you can buy Wrs. Wages locally when it is canning season. Which I think is here or on it's way already. Try checking out walmart. Also too if you don't find Mrs. wages look for mothers picking lime.

Last edited:
Yeah buddy! Thanks for the help I'm off to wally world after work. (need to start preparing for all of Puyallup's best packed into one store):lol:

So this morning I found the powder blue swimming sideways and full of ick.:( I easily caught him with the net and put him out of his misery. I learned my lesson...never buy a tang for a 40g tank and keep a qt tank on hand for new additions. Now I play the waiting game for 2-3 months as the ick eventually will go through it's cycle.

On a good note the tank is doing great and has gone through it's cycle for the most part. I had the diatoms and stringy algae for about 2 weeks but that has disappeared now. I guess it's possible I'll go through the cyano and hair algae stage but crossing my fingers that doesn't happen. I also had some sort of bacteria problem a couple weeks ago. The water was crystal clear one day and the next it was fairly cloudy and I saw alot of debris floating in the water. Did a 40% water change and that seemed to help and now the water is crystal clear again. I've got about 10 frags and some lps in the tank now that are doing great. Good color and pe and have already started growing.

On a side note I'm excited for a package to arrive today. I'm getting the following frags and will post pics sometime tonight.

Tyree pink Lemonade
Tyree soli
Tyree Undata
Tyree bali tricolor
Garf Bonsai
Tubbs purple polyp birdsnest

This will add to the frags I already aquired at the swap and from others...

Ora german blue polyp acro
Ora pealberry
Ora roscoes blue
Mike Paletta blue acro
ATL bloody mary millepora
Rainbow stylo
Tyree sunset
Tyree setosa
Oregon tort
Cali tort
chesterfields
purple poccillapora
bra sunset millepora
unknown tricolor
Green w/ purple rim monti cap

I'd like to add a crayola plana, a nice stag, and ora red planet to the tank and then I'll be done with the sps. Just let the sticks grow and frag when necessary.:D

Yes they have it on canyon. Go quick because I'm buying out their stock next weekend as I do every year and I doubt they will restock again till next year.

Don

Very nice list of corals you have there buddy. I can't wait for my mines too. On a side note Adam jsut called me and told me that Wally world has Mrs. wages in the canning section. I think he said 2.97/lb.

As promised...

reefpics015.jpg

reefpics016.jpg

Right side

reefpics020.jpg

Left side

reefpics021.jpg

Back