dd911's 40B Project...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

yeah you should be fine, I seen too many mixed reviews for your skimmer on my 90 gallon. like I said it should be more then enough for your 40gallon.

The ASM skimmer I have now is working great with filling up that cup, I just need piece of mind. Ever since I had issues with my 55 and they seems to be resolved by upgrading to double what I needed for a skimmer I live by that now.

Look at the beast I had Matt build for me all that for a 630 gallon tank.

This skimmer is super quiet which is awesome. Right now it's throwing out some microbubbles but it's still breaking in. I have pre cycled marco rocks and about 30 lbs of caribsea seaflor spec grade reef sand so the skimmate so far is pretty clean just a little hazy. Looking forward to adding fish in the next couple week or two. :) Lmk how you like the msx!:)

That is really cool. Now I want a couple vortechs, my husband to drill our 40 breeders and put in overflows and cool sumps like Matt built you. Great work. hmm, I'll have to add these to my honey do list :lol:.

Yep I just love the vortechs! I like playing with all the different settings and dialing in my flow pattern with just one pump.:)

Here are some pics I finally took on Sat and Sun...

Here is the aquascape I'm going for. Took just about 15-20 min to setup which is very unusual for me usually takes a few hrs or days...:lol:

reefpics073.jpg

reefpics074.jpg

reefpics078.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the sump/refugium and everything hooked up ready to roll! I have an ACjr w/ DC-8 controlling my m/h, pc's, leds, refuge light, heater and fan. Kept a couple outlets free for future use. The dj power strip controls everything else like the return, skimmer, vortech, ACjr and phosban reactor running carbon. Also have two outlets for future use.

reefpics084.jpg

Here it is in action...:)

reefpics088.jpg

reefpics101.jpg

Last edited:
excellent configuration of gear in the sump, should be a very stable little system, and the tank looks great too, really nice rock work!!
im not too fond of their light hanging hardware though...

Also on a side note I'm extatic about the temperature of the tank! I have the fan and the heater on the ACjr and it stays between 79.5-80 degrees! I left this morn at 9:30 am and the temp was at 79.6 and when I got home at 6:30 it was at 79.7!:)

Yep I just love the vortechs! I like playing with all the different settings and dialing in my flow pattern with just one pump.:)

I'm sure that will be one of our next purchases for all of our tanks. We were leaning towards tunze streams until we went to Kevin's store and saw the vortech. I like the magnet, no cords in the water and the fact that you can adjust the flow to any size tank. Too cool.

Awesome new pics too. Everything looks so pretty, neat, clean and new. I like the rock work too. Did you just use silicone to seal the overflow to the tank?

excellent configuration of gear in the sump, should be a very stable little system, and the tank looks great too, really nice rock work!!
im not too fond of their light hanging hardware though...

Thanks Mark! My only gripe about the hanging arm hit is the stability of the unit. The screws are at the bottom of each arm so the shake a little when you walk near the tank. I kept them fairly high so I can adjust the light for maint or doing top down shots. Also I'm upgraging to the 250w/t-5 unit (thanks Joe)

I'm sure that will be one of our next purchases for all of our tanks. We were leaning towards tunze streams until we went to Kevin's store and saw the vortech. I like the magnet, no cords in the water and the fact that you can adjust the flow to any size tank. Too cool.

Awesome new pics too. Everything looks so pretty, neat, clean and new. I like the rock work too. Did you just use silicone to seal the overflow to the tank?

Thanks, yep silicone for the overflow Matts125 (Matt) built it for me and did a great job!:D

great updates Jayson! im glad you like my work bro. i have to come see it in person! keep the pictures coming!

cheers
Matt

So I just need to seed this tank and was wondering what the best approach might be? I'm leary of putting l/r in because of the possible pests associated. It might be my best bet though for pods and corraline algae. Any reccomendations?

If you have some patience, it will do it on it's own. Just toss in some shrimp or whatever you have and test as you normally would. In a couple weeks it should be fine. It doesn't matter if the rock has bacteria on it or not, it will when you're done.

you can have someone with thick coraline scrap and bag it, then just dump it into your tank, not rocketscience but it works wanders!!!

Matt

Back