DIY venturi

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

showjyr

I made another venturi tonight and it blows the stock one out of the water.....lower flow rate an twice the bubbles. After 4 days the old one was barely building up any foam.....about 15 minutes after I put this venturi on the foam was almost t the top of the riser tube...awesome!

I took a 1" piece of 1" PVC and placed a piece of 1/8" acrylic on top of it. After a few seconds of blasting it with a heat gun I took the chuck end of a 1/2" drill bit and stretched the acrylic the length of the PVC. I then tapped it and threaded my air stem in and glued another 3/4" piece of PVC on the other side of the acrylic. To finish i just cut my chunk of 3/4" PVC to the ricght length, shaved it down a bit and glued it on......bam, an easy, and effective venturi!

Old one on the right
2009_07140005.jpg

Pump side
2009_07140009.jpg

Quick vid of it in action

Pulls 4 watts less on a kil-a-watt but I don't have an air meter. I'd be correct in saying that less wattage = less less water through the pump = more air being pulled, right? Well at least that's what I'm hoping, haha.

Also thanks....gonna get some solid 1" acrylic rod and play around with a few different ideas.

Yep, nice aspiring venturi : ) Thats the way all the new venturi's are being made.

Cool, I guess the numbers prove it's better than stock.

What companies are making venturis like this? I was just kinda winging it based on the fact that bottle necking it in the direction of the pump would create unequal pressure....I was sure with no angle in the leading side, some random angle on the pump side, and just a guess at placement of the air stem it would be half assed, guess I got lucky...no?

Hmm, lets see what skimmers have this venturi......BK, bubble magnus, ER, vertex, CV, swc, WM......just about everyone but asm

Back