Eric & Becca's 180 build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

looks amazing, I can't believe the changes I can already see since seeing it with only the chromis in it.

Looks great!! have you noticed any colors fading with the LED's or are the corals really liking them?

So far everything is looking great. We have a couple of color shifts happening but nothing we wouldn't expect from a major lighting change and nothing we don't expect a full return of color from. Everything looks fully happy and polyp'ed out and we are even seeing some polyps on things that we have never seen them on before. All zoas and palys that were reaching for light under the MH are not any longer and are actually more open than before. Granted the MH bulbs were of unknown age. Keep in mind it has only been one week and the true test is months.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Here are a few shots of the corals and fish under the led's.

DSC_0168.jpg
DSC_0174.jpg

DSC_0178.jpg

DSC_0246-1.jpg
DSC_0249-1.jpg

DSC_0229-1.jpg
DSC_0252-1.jpg

DSC_0254-1.jpg
DSC_0186-1.jpg

DSC_0196-1.jpg
DSC_0209-1.jpg

DSC_0211.jpg
DSC_0240-1.jpg

DSC_0220.jpg
DSC_0193.jpg

Thats good! cant wait to get corals under my LED's love the look they have on the tank. Nice pictures what camera and settings are you using?

The camera we are using is a Nikon D60 with a 55 mm lens. We use a manual setting where we can set the white balance, f-stop, and exposure time.

awesome pics Eric, Did I count correctly in the pics. You have 3, 48 LED arrays over the tank? Seems like quite allot, all be it you'll never not have enough. Just trying to figure out what others have had good luck with in order to design my own array. What did you use for your dimming control?

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited:
The emitters are like 3 bucks a piece and you can run 24 on a driver, so its best to use as much as you can, that way you can run the driver at lower percentages of power, which in turn extends the lifespan.

Mojo

actually the emitters are $4.25 to $5.50 USA dollars the guy who supplied them didn't know prices where Aus. and just ate the diffence

@mojo: makes sense. having them under driven would drastically reduce the stain on them and keep the heat way down.

@eric: How wide are your heatsinks? trying to determine what the spread is like to try and determine how wide I should go.

Thanks,
Tom

How wide are your heatsinks? trying to determine what the spread is like to try and determine how wide I should go.

Tom the controller is an Arduino "kit" controller, RC has several tutorials on it. The heatsinks are 8.46" wide. We calculated our spread to be about 30* per star with optic. You know you are not that far from us, you are more than welcome to come by and check them out. Just give us a call, we will be home all weekend.

Great looking tank, stand, and LED build. Where did you buy the LEDs, heatsinks, and drivers? Mind posting details?

Thanks,
Mike

Do you have any pics of your arduino kit in the process of being made? I just started messing with mine last night and cant get any writing to come up on my LCD screen.

WOW!
This is definitely one reeftank you just have to see in person to get the REAL impression of just how sweeeet it is. The DIY-LED Lighting, customized furniture, aquascaping, coral & fish selection all done to near perfection "Great frickin Job you two" cannot wait to see it mature another 6 months or more.

Cheers, Todd

Back