Eric & Becca's 180 build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thanks for all the compliments guys. Of course we are happy to help with anyone who needs to learn. We knew nothing just a short time ago and would love to pass what we have learned along. We are trying to make this a one time build. I hope all this extra work pays off. One thing I can't stand is a messy rats nest of wires so I learned back in the car building days to make it neat and clean right from the get-go. Sometimes it feels like a curse for all the extra time, work, trips to the store and $$$ but that's what it takes.

I just returned from Eric & Becca's place and seen this build in person. Top notch!!!! Clean!! Very well put together!

Now if you can put in half of the time you have spent on this light build into organizing your garage, you will have enough room to put a finish on your hood!!! LOL

Thanks for the holes in the hood Dave. I don't know why I can do this DIY stuff but I can't cut a straight line with a saw to save my life. Becca was impressed with your work... :D And the garage condition is not slowing down the finish process. I have it sanded and primed already and the first coat of enamel is going on in about 30 minutes.

Garage clean up and organization coming next year!!!

Your welcome.
The trick to cutting a straight line is, Close one eye, stand on your left foot, (right foot if you are left handed) and hold your breath. Just that simple. LOL

The trick to cutting a straight line is, Close one eye, stand on your left foot, (right foot if you are left handed) and hold your breath

...and then count all your fingers to make sure you have them all when u r done cutting.

:D :D

Ok, there will be no acts of acrobatic feats....Eric can barely hold onto a tool without dropping it, standing on two feet. I shudder to think what would happen on one foot let alone closing of any eyes.
So with that this is what Dave did for us. Thanks again Dave

DSC_0002.jpg

As soon as Dave was out the door we broke out the paint....yes paint....We, and I mean Eric, sanded, primed then applied two coats of white on the interior and black on the exterior.

Primed

DSC_0003.jpg

White

DSC_0020.jpg

Black

DSC_0022.jpg

OK we are aware that the garage is a mess....ok a DISASTER....but we are not allowing that to impede on this build.

The hood with the heat sinks in place and the wiring put back

DSC_0025.jpg

The fans all wired into the modified project box

DSC_0026.jpg

View from the hood interior

DSC_0028.jpg

one optic holder modified......134 to go

DSC_0031.jpg

optic holders glued to the led star

DSC_0034.jpg

We are not using optics on the red and green led's because we want those colors to blend with the white and blues. The optics would create a spotlight effect.

Yes very impressive work Eric, you have definitely set the DIY bar quite high now. Cannot wiat to see it in person bud, now back to my extremely tardy build.

Cheers, Todd

Now hold on just a minute!! You mean to tell me Eric cut out all of those optic holders with some type of a sharp tool and the is no picture of his finger dripping blood???? Did you have gloves on? Did Becca do it.
Pics or it didnt happen.

I am glad to say I will be present for the first time light show topping off your great build.

Thanks for all the pics

Like you posted Dave, no pics it didn't happen

optics with carlco frosted lenses.

DSC_0037.jpg

We hooked up the controller and took these bad boys for a test drive

2012-01-03_21-22-06_684.jpg

Keep in mind that these are at 100% in a completely dark room

2012-01-03_21-22-55_198.jpg

Ouch we could kill some coral with these lights!!!!!

Just the blues

2012-01-03_21-29-50_443.jpg

2012-01-03_21-30-00_253.jpg

Now the programming learning process begins.....The plan is to have these up on the tank Friday afternoon

Kirk, we are not staggering the lights. We are planning on running the lights at 10% to begin the acclimation process. We will slowly over a period of 3-4 weeks bring the lights up to 40% or so.

Kirk, we are not staggering the lights. We are planning on running the lights at 10% to begin the acclimation process. We will slowly over a period of 3-4 weeks bring the lights up to 40% or so.

Good plan guys!

So many people burn up their corals when they install led lighting

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Well it would seem Friday came early.....

These are a few before pics

The hood with the borrowed mh, a huge thank you to charrise(luisse25)

DSC_0068.jpg

Side view

DSC_0070.jpg

The money shot(mh)

DSC_0066.jpg

The raising of the new hood complete with led's

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

Top side

DSC_0077.jpg

Side view

DSC_0087.jpg

Light controller set into the facade around the heat sinks
DSC_0089.jpg

Full tank shot....mmmm sexy profile

DSC_0086.jpg

Fired up just the blues....at 10%

DSC_0075.jpg

AND THE "NEW" MONEY SHOT....at 10% power

DSC_0084.jpg

Dave, Thank you for dropping whatever you had to drop (hopefully not on your foot) to come over this afternoon and helping with the "raising of the hood".

Wow!!! That is a lot of light.

I was lucky enough to be one of the first to see this tank go from MH to leds in a matter of minutes. It is very hard to explain how much difference it makes. It is unF believable. The blues were outstanding!!!!!

Congrats you two.

Now you can enter that puppy in the Tank of the Month !!!!

Hey Todd great job on being runner up to the runner up. HE HE HE!!!!!!

Back