Eric & Becca's 180 build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Looks like the finish turned out very nice indeed, lonnnnnnnnng way from the golden oak it once was.

...and the racers are neck-n-neck through the halfway point...

Cheers, Todd

Thanks Todd. Yeah you can see the old color on the wood stacked behind it. That's actually the new tank under the checkered blanket and the hood that will be modified soon sitting on top of it with all the doors and such stacked on top. And as always if there is a flat spot in the area it collects anything and everything.

Todd I'm not sure it cool to be necking on the site.
As for the stand. I thought you said you were going were going to clean up and make some room to work in there? No wonder TJL is a plumbing move ahead of you. LOL
The color is great. The more coats the better. IMO.
Thanks for the pics.
Now get back out there and clean that place up. I want to see some holes drilled by next Wen. LOL

LOL Dave. Unfortunately there is no place to clean anything up to. If I pick it up from where it sits I stand there and look around for a new place to put it and see nothing so back down it goes right where it was. :D Once this stand is in the house with the tank sitting on it and the 100 gal sump that is currently sitting behind the 180 is in the stand I think any clean up is out of the question. Oh and the rock collection is getting out of hand as well. We not only have 100+ pounds in the 55 gal barrel curing we also have a 20 gal tub full soaking in FW to kill it off, 120 more pounds of dry rock we just picked up last night and another 50 pounds of new Marco Rock showing up tomorrow. :eek: It looks like an archeologist lives here.

Wow it looks SOOOO differen than when it wasn't finished when I was there, it's going to look amazing all done!

Thats over 300lbs of rock. You wont have room for any fish bigger than a clown goby. LOL. I know how things pile up, once you get large items in a space no matter how you organize things you still have no room

Wow it looks SOOOO differen than when it wasn't finished when I was there, it's going to look amazing all done!

Thanks Devin. We are hoping so. Becca likes it when everything looks good :). I don't know where that leaves me though...

Thats over 300lbs of rock. You wont have room for any fish bigger than a clown goby. LOL.

Don't forget about the 100 pounds sitting in the current tank :D

We just want to make sure we have enough to make it look the way we want. After this tank is set up then I will be setting up the 40B in my office and then selling the rest.

HONEY!!!... There's a TANK in the house!!!

Where is it???

DSC_0476_11228.jpg

Oh... there it is!!!

DSC_0156_11460.jpg

We finally got the base cabinet finished and moved into place this afternoon. Then we went ahead and brought the tank in a set it on top just for the heck of it. Nice viewing height with the 36" tall cabinet. Next projects are converting the 100g TruVu tank into a sump and modding the hood. Don't worry, one of the uprights come out of the stand to allow enough room to install the sump. There are still a few holes to cut in the back of the stand for electrical and cooling fans but those can be done later once we lay some stuff out for locations. The doors are also still in need of stripping, staining and finishing but they will be easy compared to the rest.

A couple more shots...

DSC_0157_11461.jpg

DSC_0158_11462.jpg

And to think this stand all started as a bunch of parts and pieces. Now I can't wait until we have to move it all back out to the garage for the water test. I will NOT test my plumbing abilities with 200+ gallons of water in the house... no matter how heavy that tank is. :D

Awesome work Eric!

I love the black. It came out perfect.

Be sure to have dedicated towels for spills and such. You don't want to let water stand on that laminate flooring. It's not a floating floor by any chance is it? If so, you may want to consider cutting the floor so you don't pin it down.

Looking good guys. Good luck finding a level spot in the garage. I know it would be near impossible in mine.Let me know if you need a hand moving it.

TODD it is your move.

Oh yes it fits like a glove and it is going to work beautifully. It turned out perfect. We love the unique design. Becca is very happy. Thank you so much Dave. I took some pics but I am undecided whether we should post them before or after the finish is done. What do you think?

Do a before and after, at the same time. That will make you look like a miracle worker. lol
I am glad it fit like a glove. I felt it would, but you never know untill you set it on there.

Hey Eric, looks real nice in there. Back from Vegas and need a few more days to catch up on sleep then It's on with the RACE. Just a thought ; love the look of the natural Birch interiors contrast to the stands black frame... so maybe a clearcoat finish on Curly Maple or Birch for the doors or better yet Bamboo! So you should plant-grow-harvest-dry-glue/laminate-cut/mill the Bamboo while I'm laboring over my tile floor and fireplace... is it cheating if Dave is helping you ????????

Cheers, Todd

Back