Eric & Becca's 180 build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

You two are very lucky to have private time for yourselves, enjoy it it will come to an end way to soon. lol
Now that I have had the blessing from the bosses I can post a sneak peek of the panel.
It is wet down with water so you can see the figure. After I work my magic the figure will stand out 5x better than these pics.
110_2791.jpg

110_2790.jpg

110_2789.jpg

110_2788.jpg

Here you go Peppie. Sweet looking wood your using there!

This is the satin finish I was talking about. This is a job I did last week with it. I have this satin or semi gloss. I'll send you a pint of both if you like
027-15.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the post Frankie.
So there you go Eric and Becca. I know sometimes it is hard to tell a finish by a picture. But this shot shows it is not glossy.

Yes thank you Frankie for the picture. Looks fine to us in the picture Dave. We will default to your expert eye once you get the material from Frankie and try it out. I'm sure it would be a great finish. Maybe we should have used it on the rest of the stand instead of the heavy 4 coats of varnish that doesn't look at that satin even though that's what the can said.

The reconfigured hood needed some more reconfiguring. lol I was asked to apply a Maple face to the hood lid. I ran the face of the lid over the joiner and did a little hand work with a power planer to reduce the thickness of the face by the thickness of the Maple panel. Sounds confusing. I took a 1/4'' of wood off the face of the hood. Here is the glue up.
110_2792.jpg

I put a 30deg miter at the joint
110_2793.jpg

110_2794.jpg

110_2795.jpg

110_2796.jpg

Nice work again Dave, when I go on vacation can you build my canopy also lol. You know I just through out that idea of the contrasting woods for Erics build to slow him down ha-ha and wasn't expecting him to have a Professional do it for him :boink: but I suppose that once this beautiful piece of furniture is complete Becca will have him tackling a whole new set of Honey-Do's in making additional pieces to match :wave: Hope he's enjoying thier little Get-away.

Cheers, Todd

Todd you bet I can. I have a couple rolls of packing tape around here somewhere.lol
I got to thinking about our race here, and it seems like you are getting double teamed. Well not to fear, and dont lose any sleep over it. BUT YOU ARE.LOL
The contrasting wood idea has in fact slowed him a bit. I think it was almost three weeks before we were able to go south to buy the wood. So what did you get done on your build in those three weeks? From what I understand. You took the time to increase the value of your home. Now that is making a LOT of us look bad.
And yes there is a method to my madness .Figured wood highlights can be costly!!! I suppose you will need a small % for the finders fee. LOL
Eric thanks for letting us hi-jack your build thread

Does anyone see the strategy here??? :whistle: When the going get's tough and your losing the race then you just sell something to one of your competitors so they have to get that stuff installed in their home before they can put the tank in the house :nono: and you hire the other competitor to build something for you so they put their project on hold to get yours done :wave: Now that the playing field has leveled a bit lets all go on vacations and leave everything alone for another week (except for applying the finish to those panels Dave). :plane: Oh and Becca thanks us all three for hijacking the build thread that she wanted to run this time. :yield: We would all be in more trouble if it weren't for the witty content added so far :fencing:

Yes, apparently so...and will have to say a little smarter than he looks :boxing::razz::tape2: All kidding aside Eric and Becca, you are going to have a very nice piece of aquarium furniture to proudly display in your home. With all the time and money spent on our reeftanks they should be put on a pedestal. Funny, its been about 30 years ago a friend and I started a small aquarium furniture business here promoting just this. To get away from the Ol' iron stands and cinder-block structures of the past, to actually have them placed on furniture that you would even have in your livingroom. Well I'm down to or up to the last 5 upstairs windows plus deck slider to go. Have tile picked out just ned to aquire it and some crack-suppression membrane... so can almost see the tiny light at end of tunnel.

Cheers, Todd

You know we were just kidding right guys??? No duping intended. Once we get back home from our current world travels this week (Cannon Beach this time) we will be working hard at getting some water in this. Hopefully by the time we leave for our next excursion to the San Juan Islands at the end of July it will be wet. That way we can have the cycle starting while we are gone. We will be looking for some powerheads soon so if anyone has any let us know what it is and what you are wanting for them. We currently only have a couple of K3/K4's. If there is a spare Vortech or Tunze set up floating around we might be interested.

nice wood work pep, how's that frog spawn dooing? WOW eww so much traveling, stand is looking good cant wayt to see it all up and running. peppie more like DR wood you have more clamps than a doctor

Sorry for the delay in the finish Eric and Peppie, my work week got a bit nuts and long into the evening hours. I will send it out priority on tuesday after the forth. I got the box and containers all ready last night.

Thanks Frankie. No worries on the time. I know how work can take over if you let it. That's a lot of the reason we are only as far along as we are on this build. I am excied to see this finish first hand. Not real excited about going over the entire stand again though if we like it. Whatever it takes for a great looking piece of furniture though right?

The problem was finding containers to ship it in, They will be in brand new quart cans, satin and semi so you have sheen choice.
A good thing about this product is it is not carcinogenic. You can apply in it the home with little to no odor or harmful vapors. Also it is very easy to apply. Sponge stick will work fine and three coats look like a glass shield.

I sprayed it on my new build with great results. I went with this product because it will not yellow in time. My stand is an oil based blue so it was important that the color dose not change for me.

You all should have it before the week is up this week. Look forward to seeing Peppie's opinion on it!

Just to let you know I got the panels stained, sanded,stained,sanded,stained,sanded, and the oil applied today. We'll let them dry for 3-4 days and sand again. Should be able to test the finish by Thursday.
I dont think anybody could take the ribbing going here serious. It would have turned into rude by now. LOL

Thanks Crazyfish, The frogspawn is looking great. It looks to be 1/3 bigger than when I got it. My last clamp count was alittle over 100. LOL you can never have enough clamps. (another thread jack)

Back to Eric and Becca, I too am looking to have a new wet tank by the end of the month. Nellie is going back east for two weeks in about 10 days. That will be a good time to have a huge mess. The type of mess that you just cant clean up at the end of the day. She doesnt handle things out of place or things laying around very well. This will be a 3-4 day event.

Thanks for all that you are doing Dave. Once you get ready to set up and swap out your systems I will be happy to come up and give a hand if I can be of use. That is as long as we are still in town. We take off again on the 27th for 10 days. As long as it's before that I would be happy to be there and at least supervise :D

I will have a better idea by the middle of next. I want to have the stand all trimmed and finished by the end of next week.
Adam has a small wood project he needs some help with. And I have a drywall job still hanging in the air. (waiting on electrical and plumbing) that needs to be dealt with at the drop of a hat. So my wet tank date has some variables.
If I get in over my head on the transfer I will be sure to give you a call. Thanks.

Back