Eric & Becca's 180 build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

what do you call this SPS?

DSC_0015.jpg

is it the same with this?

_DSC8491.JPG

I believe it is a Blue Tipped Acropora Tenuis.

WOW im happy you suggested I take a look at your thread. Lots of Ideas and hope for this new tank now. =]

So we have been fiddling with our system a bit lately and thought we should update.

We built two Co2 scrubbers for the skimmer. We took one 3" by 24" vinyl tube we picked up at Tap plastic, along with 4 end caps that came with the tube. We cut the tube in half, to make two scrubbers. Two of the end caps got breather holes drilled into them and the other two got drilled to accept the air lines off the skimmer pump air intake. We filled each tube with soda lime granules that we purchased from Airgas. To prevent any of the soda lime from escaping we used nylon between the end caps and tube.
DSC_0184.jpg

DSC_0185.jpg

We are also working on putting ozone generator into our system. We found that the base of a plastic potted plant container was the perfect size to use over the skimmer lid. And you might be impressed that the water tray came complete with a little foot to help raise it up a bit to allow for better air flow. We drilled to tray with holes for the air to be diverted out of the skimmer and into carbon bags. We drilled a larger hole in the center that will allow the ozone tube to drop down into the center of the skimmer. The end of the tube will have an air stone attached to it. This will be how we introduce ozone into the skimmer. We are waiting on parts(kynar fittings) to arrive before we bring this online.
DSC_0178-1.jpg

DSC_0179.jpg

DSC_0181.jpg

DSC_0183.jpg

urgh:yuk:....at least clean the skimmer before taking a pic
DSC_0182.jpg

We also took a few top down....yowzer:eyebrows:...pics last night(oh man this story is getting better), the blues where at about 4%(you know just before lights out....yowzer:eyebrows:)

DSC_0207.jpg

DSC_0220-1.jpg

DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0194.jpg

DSC_0199.jpg

DSC_0228.jpg

Some of the pics are a little blurry...we need to build a top down box...yowzer:eyebrows:

Yowzer is right!!! That is some good lookin stuff you got growin there buddy!!!

Scrubber is simple and easy, Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Now I am going to have to go to the garden store, to find a pot holder, before I build my skimmer. Just so I have the right size that fits. LOL

Looks great Eric and Becca

some great looking pics of the tank. two questions though.

Why did you choose to introduce O3 into you skimmer via an airstone run down through the center as opposed to running it through the volute of the feed pump?

I haven't seen them used really, which is why I ask the next question. Whats the benefit of a Co2 scrubber?

Curious to see how your o3 experience goes as i've been tossing around going that route myself.

Yowzer is right!!! That is some good lookin stuff you got growin there buddy!!!

Scrubber is simple and easy, Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Now I am going to have to go to the garden store, to find a pot holder, before I build my skimmer. Just so I have the right size that fits. LOL

Looks great Eric and Becca

Thanks Dave. Make sure you get a big pot because I'm sure you're gonna build a BIG friggin skimmer.

Looking Great Eric and Becca!

Thanks Jeff.

some great looking pics of the tank. two questions though.

Why did you choose to introduce O3 into you skimmer via an airstone run down through the center as opposed to running it through the volute of the feed pump?

I haven't seen them used really, which is why I ask the next question. Whats the benefit of a Co2 scrubber?

Curious to see how your o3 experience goes as i've been tossing around going that route myself.

Thank you too Tom.

We added the CO2 scrubber because our PH kept dropping abnormally low, like into the 7.6-7.7 range and never really even got above 8.0 at the best of times. Last winter we added a bunch of insulation to the house as well as a new gas furnace and our stove and hot water heater are gas as well. As you know from being here this house is not all that big so the O2 levels are suffering from the house being closed up, all the people living/breathing here and the appliances burning it up. The CO2 scrubber is taking a lot of the CO2 out of the air input to the skimmer so the O2 level being injected is higher thus raising the PH in the tank.

The O3 addition is thanks to some fellow reefer friends that have it and they have unbelievably clear water. It's almost like the water isn't even there. The other benefits of improved skimming and it helping the fish be healthier are also factors. We are running it into the skimmer through an airstone so it is not being blasted by the pinwheels of the pumps and being pulled in faster than the air pump on the Ozone Reactor can generate it. The way I understand it is the air being pumped across the corona is set at a certain rate in the given generator unit for a reason and to accelerate that by adding the massive pull of the skimmer pumps (2 in our case) would just hamper the performance of the corona and possible shorten its life as well. Injecting it through the airstone like we are will allow both systems to work at their own speed and not mess with each other.

Thank you too Tom.

We added the CO2 scrubber because our PH kept dropping abnormally low, like into the 7.6-7.7 range and never really even got above 8.0 at the best of times. Last winter we added a bunch of insulation to the house as well as a new gas furnace and our stove and hot water heater are gas as well. As you know from being here this house is not all that big so the O2 levels are suffering from the house being closed up, all the people living/breathing here and the appliances burning it up. The CO2 scrubber is taking a lot of the CO2 out of the air input to the skimmer so the O2 level being injected is higher thus raising the PH in the tank.

The O3 addition is thanks to some fellow reefer friends that have it and they have unbelievably clear water. It's almost like the water isn't even there. The other benefits of improved skimming and it helping the fish be healthier are also factors. We are running it into the skimmer through an airstone so it is not being blasted by the pinwheels of the pumps and being pulled in faster than the air pump on the Ozone Reactor can generate it. The way I understand it is the air being pumped across the corona is set at a certain rate in the given generator unit for a reason and to accelerate that by adding the massive pull of the skimmer pumps (2 in our case) would just hamper the performance of the corona and possible shorten its life as well. Injecting it through the airstone like we are will allow both systems to work at their own speed and not mess with each other.

Great info on the scrubber, I didn't know they actually do that!

I've been finding the same results in my research on o3. I did not know however about causing a pull over the corona of the generator. Good to know that.

That red cap looks amazing!

thanks,
Tom

Very sweet build you have here Eric and Becca. Just read through the full thread and must say that the build is top notch and definately sets the bar high for other builds. :lol: Great job.

Cheers,
Alex

Stunning!!!

Wow Alex, we must have been reading at the same time!!!

I personally saw this Tank yesterday and it is just simple amazing, jaw dropping, and just plain Beautiful.

You two should be commended and I know you are an inspiration to many reefers.

You two are wonderfull people and I am honered to have been invited in to your home...Thank you!!!

I hope you enjoy your frags you got as much as I am enjoying mine new ones. Specially you Becca.:)

When Momma's happy...everyone's happy.....:)

Two shots from as close to the same perspective as we could get 2 1/2 months apart. The pic on the left was taken today. The pic on the right was taken on Jan 18th soon after the LED's were put up. Sorry the pic quality isn't great but we are just trying to show the growth we are getting under the LED's. Notice the tri-color at the top of the pics as well as the monti cap. We were shocked to see so much change.

GrowthComp.jpg

WOW!!!!
If that growth keeps up that pace you will have to transfer at least 1/2 of those to my tank. LOL

I like that you put the pics side by side to see the difference. Very cool

Here is the monthly pics of the 6 subject corals under the LED's. For some reason I am having a hard time adjusting the white balance and getting the colors to represent properly on the camera today. These all have true colors to what they are supposed to with the naked eye. Growth has been great and colors have been actually improving over time. Polyp extension has remained excellent as well. Oh Yeah... Our coralline growth is doing ok too :D

DSC_0378.jpg

DSC_0374.jpg

DSC_0377.jpg

DSC_0376.jpg

DSC_0375.jpg

DSC_0379.jpg

Being new to the forum, I haven't read through many threads yet. This is one of my first, and I was curious to see the LED section in particular. I've been doing electronics work as an amateur for years now and I have to admit that your work on the LED systems is incredible!! Words can't express the precision and organization with which you laid everything out. Very clean work! I can't wait for a tank tour of the south sound. I say that not even being aware of all of the great tanks that must be north of us. I can't wait to see the tank in person and pic your brain about the setup. (You're peaking my interest with the high wattage resistors? Most driver-LED combos I've seen didn't necessitate the current limiting resistors or ask for the fuses which are always a welcome addition.)

Add to that the woodwork, and you've got a prize system. (I was also a cabinet maker in Orange County in a past life so I'm blown away on multiple levels.)

There's something in the water here in the Puget Sound.

what is ur ph now days...how quick of a increase on ph did it raise- days- hours........how full did you fill the tube..... i will be building one of those 2moro lol my ph will only get above 8.1 when my alk is dropping.....my full setup is in basement...
did you run a line directly from skimmer airline ( mine has the little adjuster for more air or less air- just worried that adding that might starve how much air it can draw trough OEM restictor)

Thank you guys. Halmus, you don't have to wait for a south end tank tour. Anyone is welcome to come by almost any time. We are both home most days and evenings. Just shoot a PM and we can set something up. This goes for anyone who is interested. We built this tank not only for ourselves to enjoy, but everyone else as well.

what is ur ph now days...how quick of a increase on ph did it raise- days- hours........how full did you fill the tube..... i will be building one of those 2moro lol my ph will only get above 8.1 when my alk is dropping.....my full setup is in basement...
did you run a line directly from skimmer airline ( mine has the little adjuster for more air or less air- just worried that adding that might starve how much air it can draw trough OEM restictor)

Hey DJ. The Ph rose almost immediately. Definitely by the next day. The first batch of soda lime lasted a few weeks and the tubes were only 2/3's full. We just changed it over the weekend for the first time and this time we filled them all the way so there would be no option for air to get around the media. The tubes are attached to the ends of the air intake tubes on each of the two skimmer pumps. We used to struggle to get Ph above 7.9. Now it runs 8.1-8.2 with the house closed up. The last couple of days with the weather being nice we have had the house open and it has been running a little high at between 8.3-8.4. We are considering removing the CO2 scrubbers but want to make sure the weather will hold for a bit and allow regular fresh air ventilation in the house before we pull them off.

how much does the contents (media) cost?...the tube is just vinyl not acrylic.....do u have the tube laying on side when inline with system?(what keeps the media from being sucled up airline-i saw you used the cloth on side with holes what about side with airline

how much does the contents (media) cost?...the tube is just vinyl not acrylic.....do u have the tube laying on side when inline with system?(what keeps the media from being sucled up airline-i saw you used the cloth on side with holes what about side with airline

You can get it from the filter guys or bulk reef supply in "smaller" quantities. If you are willing to buy a lot you can get a 5 gallon bucket (between 35-40 pounds) at a local Airgas store for $80ish dollars. This is what we did. Just call to see if they have any or they can order it in. The tube is vinyl. We got it at Tap for a few bucks for a 24" length with end caps. We have the tube laying on their sides and we used an old pair of nylons to cover both ends of the tube before sliding the ends on. This keeps the media contained yet lets air flow through.

Last edited:
Back