First shots with new camera

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Blazer88

So I finally broke down and bought the Canon 30D (my Rebel XT is on craigslist if anyone is interested). These are my first two pics out of the cam. I'm still trying to get the custom WB set and learn a few of the other features. One thing I love is ISO 3200, I can get quicker than 1/500 of a second and still have some depth of field. I'm sure there will be many more pics to follow, enjoy.

IMG_3851.jpg

IMG_3837.jpg

I have been extremely happy with the XT but I wanted the lower ISO noise that the 30D has. Plus it's just fun to change things up :)

great pics,,i can tell the different bt 10.2 and 12.5mp,,a lot softer and cleaner,,what is your setting.

Actually, the 30D is a 8.2MP cam (same as XT). The difference between 8 and 10 isn't as much as you would think, it would only be noticeable in extreme crops or huge prints, and still very little at that. It's quality, not quantity :) Oh, and these settings are about as bad as you can get. These were shot at ISO 3200 so I had to use a lot of noise reduction which softened the image a bit. These shots were really just tests to see how if the extremely high ISO is useable. These were just handheld shot as I get my remote in the next few days so I can use my tripod and get some better pics. I also have my new 24-105 F/4L IS lens coming tomorrow which will be fun to play with. Next on my list is a Sigma 150mm macro lens that I can use my 1.4x tele-converter and extension tubes. I should be able to fill the whole frame with some something as small as 1.1 cm :D I'll be able to get some very serious macro's with that!

Last edited:
Hey there Rick!

Nice photo!

The great thing about the 30D, other than the fact that you've mentioned the faster ISO speed, is the spot-metering. Not to mention a tested 100,000 shutter life!

Best,
Ilham

I just really like the overall feel of the 30D, it's bigger and easier to handle for me. But here is another fishy shot. I'm trying a whole new RAW processing method (Adobe Lightroom vs. DxO Optics Pro) and it's a bit of trail and error to learn it. So far I'm happy with the results.

IMG_3944-Edit.jpg

Back