Fishroom Frezny

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey Dave, a girl has to have her standards.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Boy dont I know that!!

What do you think about pvc pipe size? And is the double drain out of the frag tank necessary or is it just stupid to run 1 line?

What kind of drain are you planning in the dt and the frag tank?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

3/4" on the herbie for the frag tank would be plenty IMO with only a maxi jet 1200 for a return pump on it. Keep in mind the maxi jet doesn't have much head pressure.

3/4" on the herbie for the frag tank would be plenty IMO with only a maxi jet 1200 for a return pump on it. Keep in mind the maxi jet doesn't have much head pressure.

The frag tank is fed of the main return pump. It can flow anywhere from 400 to 600 gph. The max jet pumps are for the ATO system

Well a little over a month since I have been able to get anything done out in the garage. Thought I would post up some pics and an update.

I started in the corner with a water mixing station. I only come off the exterior wall 4' with the fishroom wall. I dont want to close it all in until I get all the tankstands built. Not going to be alot of room in there to work on them.

I bought 2 food grade 55gal barrels. They had white vinegar in them. A good rinsing out and they are good to drill and cut.
fishroom010.jpg

I hinged the lid I cut with zip ties
fishroom009.jpg

I installed a couple acrylic tabs with some nylon nuts and bolts to keep the lid from falling in
fishroom008.jpg

fishroom007.jpg

Last edited:
To save on floor space I stacked the barrels, I have 10' overall height to work with. All the water mixing and changing will be gravity fed.
I made the saltwater barrel set out half way to allow for access into the top of the barrel.
fishroom013.jpg

I painted it with a high gloss white, 2 coats of Lowes finest. LOL
I was able to mount the RO/DI on the wall behind the salt barrel
fishroom011.jpg

The top of the Freshwater barrel has an overflow made with 1/2pcv running into 1/2" tubing. This will keep the barrel from over flowing when I forget to turn of the water supply. The blue line is water in from the filter unit
fishroom015.jpg

I will change these later, when the other tank are up and ready to be put on line. For now it will work for the WC on my current tank
fishroom020.jpg

A couple more shots
fishroom014.jpg

fishroom016.jpg

fishroom017.jpg

fishroom018.jpg

Sweet Dave. I knew you were doing something in the background that you hadn't been sharing.

Thanks guys,
In a few days I will be able to do a water change larger than 8 gal for the first time in 2 years!!!!!

So I need to have some circulation in the salt barrel. This is what I came up with.
fishroom001.jpg

fishroom002.jpg

fishroom003.jpg

This pic shows where I drill the side near the top to insert to pvc 90 to hold the rig in place.
fishroom004.jpg

I set the rig on the outlet pipe near the bottom of the barrel
fishroom006.jpg

Once I turned it on it did circulate the 45gal of water in the barrel, but it wasnt enough to agitate the surface. I think I will need to add a larger pump, or maybe a power head near the water surface to aid in the surface agitation.

Been running RO/DI filter for 27hrs. Getting close to having both barrels full.

Cant see without lights. I recycled 16 4' shop lights from a project at work, so a couple of them will work just fine for the fishroom.
I had to insulate this part of the garage ceiling before I could hang the sheetrock.
fishroom001-1.jpg

Did a little rewire from an overhead garage light
fishroom002-1.jpg

And then there was light!!!
fishroom003-1.jpg

what is your return pump?

Not sure I understand the Q. There is no return pump. The SW circulation pump is a Quiteone 1200 @300gph. I found it is OK to keep the water moving, but I will need to drop a larger pump in the barrel 24hrs before the water change to aerate the Fresh Saltwater.

i use that same pump to do my 45gal water change i put it on the bottom of barrel with outlet towards surface and i get a huge wave to form 6"+ ....what is the need to aerate it more?....should i be concerned even with getting the wave motion that its not getting aerate enough?.......would like to know your reasons & concerns on this matter....what about putting a air stone in the bottom of barrel would that be enough>

i use that same pump to do my 45gal water change i put it on the bottom of barrel with outlet towards surface and i get a huge wave to form 6"+ ....what is the need to aerate it more?....should i be concerned even with getting the wave motion that its not getting aerate enough?.......would like to know your reasons & concerns on this matter....what about putting a air stone in the bottom of barrel would that be enough>

I may be over thinking the whole water mixing thing. From what I have read in the past I assumed that the Fresh Saltwater should be aerated prior to the WC. A couple of the large water mixing stations I have seen are really churning up the new mix. I am talking serious surface agitation.

That is my story and I'm sticking to it!!! LOL

If I am out in left field, please speak up. It will save me from using a larger pump, that could be used else where in the near future.

Or , Maybe I just need to remove the 90 deg elbow that sits on top of the pump????
Time for a little R&D

Last edited:
Had a short day at work today, so I made a mess in the garage.
I needed a stand for the frag/QT tank. I was able to get some leftover wood from a job at work. I know all about not using 4x4s for a stand build, but theses are used for the supports only. I am also aware that pressure treated wood is not good to build aquarium stuff out of, but there will be a good coat of primer and 2 coats of gloss acrylic paint on all of the exposed PT. I feel it will be OK, I hope!!

fishroom006-1.jpg

There is 16'' between each post and 19'' front to back between the posts and 30'' of height under the stand.

fishroom007-2.jpg

Not your typical stand build. Surprised? LOL I wanted the support for the tank directly under the outside edge of the tank. I also needed to keep the tank off the wall by 5'' so I can use the overflow plumbing. I ran the top flat 2x4s longer to tie the stand into the wall.
fishroom008-2.jpg

fishroom009-2.jpg

I used two layers of 1 1/4" Laminated particleboard, and skinned the exposed edges with caulking.
fishroom010-2.jpg

fishroom011-2.jpg

I faced the edge with a 4 1/2'' board to hide the future plumbing line .
fishroom012-1.jpg

fishroom011-2.jpg

It's nice to see that you set aside some of your 'OTHER' projects so you can get some of your own work done for a change...Looks real nice Dave....

"Go, Dave, Go"

Go_Dog_Go.jpg

Back