Fishroom Frezny

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Just one question here.. Is it strawberry or raspberry filled? I want a piece either way. :D

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

It will be filled with Love, Hope, and dreams of a long lasting harmonious mixture of very tiny air bubbles, and saltwater. I would be glad to pour you a large glass of milk from the cup once it is up and running.

Shane, Yea I might need a stool to service the cup. Thanks for the e-mail. I havent got a chance to look yet.

Had a short day at work today so I was able to get some work done on the skimmer. I got all the circles rough cut and trimmed up on the router
bigskimmer001.jpg

I used a V point bit to cut the recess for the O ring gasket on two of the flanges.
bigskimmer002.jpg

bigskimmer003.jpg

I laid out the holes for the flanges. The bottom flang/part will be 3/4'' material. This will allow me to NOT drill all the way thru the 3/4''. I stopped 1/16'' shy of going all the way thru.
bigskimmer004.jpg

bigskimmer005.jpg

I am going to use 3/8'' X 1'' nylon bolts to lock down the 3/8'' flange
to the 3/4'' base flange
bigskimmer006.jpg

One down, and one large one to go
bigskimmer008.jpg

You just couldnt resist could ya??

Mike

Hell no I couldnt. Its like asking a reefer who has been in the hobby for about a year if he would like this 29 gal tank or this 220 gal tank!!!!

So on tho the prep work for the tubes.
You may have guessed, there will be a jig involved. LOL
This is what I came up with.
The bottom has some thin strips of wood nailed to the base of the jig, This is so the router bit can stick up above the router table about 1/4''
skimmertubecutflush004.jpg

The tube will set just a smidge lower than the base
skimmertubecutflush003.jpg

I started with the 6'' tube and will cut a larger circle for each one of the tubes working my way up to 12''.
On the top side of the jig I used my 90deg. corner brackets. I held them up against the tube and screwed them into the base of the jig
skimmertubecutflush002.jpg

I took a strap clamp and snugged up the tube as it sat on a few thin, thin shims
skimmertubecutflush007.jpg

To the router table with it and let her sing
skimmertubecutflush008.jpg

skimmertubecutflush009.jpg

I double checked to make sure I wasnt building the leaning tower of skimmer
skimmertubecutflush005.jpg

close enough
skimmertubecutflush006.jpg

Looks like I am ready for some weldon
skimmertubecutflush010.jpg

skimmertubecutflush011.jpg

skimmertubecutflush001.jpg

Thanks. I use smidge as well, but my smidge is Bigger...clearly i'm using the wrong form of measurement.;)

Becca

I filled up my application bottle today.
I got started with the 12'' flange
lrgskimmweld010.jpg

The flange side went well, but the top flange.... I got it set in place, pinned, weldon applied, pulled the pins, reached over for some weight to place on the top, and the whole tube floated nearly off the flange. DAMN. I should of held it in place for a little longer. Back to the acrylic bin and make a new ring. I also had to recut the top of the tube.

Next was the 6'' neck flange
lrgskimmweld003.jpg

I rounded all the sharp edges
lrgskimmweld004.jpg

The welds looked clean
lrgskimmweld007.jpg

This thing is going to be huge!!
lrgskimmweld006.jpg

Seem you can never find the right length bolt. All of these need to be cut to the blue line
lrgskimmweld001.jpg

I like stacking this thing up!! Yep, that is a yard stick.
lrgskimmweld012.jpg

Now thats a skyscraper skimmer! You guy's are killing me on these builds makes me want to build somthing........more.lol You have some nice diy skill's Peppie and work area:) Can't wait to see it work.

Thanks Spinner,
Hope to have some action in the mixing chamber sometime next spring.
I wish the work area were a bit bigger, but it has served me well. Every man needs a get away. (You guys know what I mean) There is NO ONE there to tell me what to do or how they want it done or what color it should be or that is not big enough, or are you going to just leave that there.... I can go on LOL

Quick short update.
Driving home from work today I was thinking of what I needed to do next on the skimmer,and I remembered I welded both flanges to the 12'' tube.
lrgskimmweld010.jpg

And you say whats wrong with this pic? I should have welded the top flange to the (next) 10'' tube, so I could run my router around the 10'' opening. BEFORE I welded it to the 12'' tube. Now comes plan B.

Kinda almost wish someone would have been there and asked me if I was sure I wanted to do that. LOL

Kinda almost wish someone would have been there and asked me if I was sure I wanted to do that

Isn't that what a wife is for? to tell us married men what to do (or in the case of my wife HOW to do it)...LOL
<ducking>
:D

Isn't that what a wife is for? to tell us married men what to do (or in the case of my wife HOW to do it)...LOL
<ducking>
:D

Sounds like you are looking to start a war on this mans thread :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was able to sneak in a couple of hour in the shop today. It didnt start out so well. I thought Portacable was top of the line tool manufacture. WORNG
lrgskimmweld010.jpg

This is not good
largeskimm018.jpg

Off to the Big Box Store to get this
largeskimm020.jpg

I spent the day fixing my brain fart.
I needed to create a flang for the cone part of the neck on the skimmer,
Did I forget to mention I am going to add a cone section to the body? REDO. A certain someone beat me up pretty hard about my wedding cake design. You know who you are!!!! LOL
I needed to make a pattern to fix the flang
largeskimm021.jpg

Some two way tape
largeskimm023.jpg

Stick it to the skimmer
largeskimm024.jpg

Rough it out with the jigsaw and take it to the router table
largeskimm025.jpg

All fixed
largeskimm027.jpg

I also addressed the 12'' tube connection to the flange that will be welded to the square skimmer base
largeskimm010.jpg

largeskimm012.jpg

Starting to come together

largeskimm015.jpg

largeskimm013.jpg

That seems to be an on going thing for a DIY'er. That is why I have a plan B 90% of the time.
I am not sure if this trim router is better than the Port a Cable, but it has a couple of features that the Port a **** lacked in.

So... a QUESTION for anybody that understands the working properties of a counter current air driven skimmer. If I were to place a water outlet ( powered by a small pump) an inch above the air stones, and this water out let was to be pointed up at a 45 deg angle and able to rotate 360 deg,( Kinda like a yard sprinkler) creating an upside down vortex. Would this increase my dwell time and my bombardment rate?
Or am I just putting a twist on a recirculating type skimmer???

Back