Frankie's 120gal. glass experiment

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Here's a few fish shots. Atlantic blue, male Akinydnos clown and my still all time favorite, the yellow tang! :) Things that are yellow do well for me for some reason.

Last edited:
Wow! Love the sun coral! How are you feeding it? Are you using the "lunar lander" 2 litre bottle, or just spot feeding it?

Thanks Nikki. :)
No, i don't feed them directly at all. I have 4 of them and they all thrive from the flow bringing them food. Their all on the corner of the tank where the flow wraps around. I believe it is the flow that keeps them so nice. I only feed the fish mysis shrimp and the tank every other day with marine snow. I notice the suns pop open every night just after the MH's go off. I have had most of them for over 8 months now.

I cut the silicone under the top brace inside and out with a razor blade and taped it off with a block of wood and a mallet. Factory made tanks have a spot of silicone in areas to hold the brace on.
I then siliconed the whole new brace on. This way water will not come out from heavy water movement. Thanks for the comment. :)

I don't sorry. I am sure there are some out there though. I just do things when they need doing. I don't read up much on diy. I'm one of them dudes that like to create diy i guess.

What kind of metal did you use? What did you coat it with? I wanted to do something like that,but I was afraid it might not hold up.I think I'm just going to have to spend the extra money and get it done custom. =(

It is high grade stainless steel. I had it welded up by a pro. Some things i am not set up to do. I painted it with black enamel paint. I still have some. I will find it and post it for you tonight. I got it from Home depot if i remember right.

Last edited:
I do. I am sorry i didn't build the whole tank out of it, just the front. It was the first time i replaced glass on an existing tank so it was a good experience. I would like to build a larger tank and go Starphire on all three sides next time with a glass brace on top and an external coast to coast overflow. The wood cabinet is cool but heavy looking so i will either go in wall or expose the whole tank with just a pendant. I find the sp. glass looks cleaner also. It has a gem look to it compared to regular glass.
Thanks for asking. I am glad you like my tank. I will get some more pictures up for you.

I do but it's going to cost you an arm and a leg on shipping even if you did get him to make it. He's not just a welder, he does metal sculpting. He's an artist and i really had to twist his arm to get him to make it for me. There has to be a welding shop near you that can make one for you.
Sorry about the new pictures. My computer crashed 2 weeks ago and i lost every thing. I don't care about the pictures it was the programs that hurt. I am still rebuilding this one. I will get some new ones up this weekend for ya. The tank is looking awesome too! :)

Bummer, I am sorry your computer crashed. =( That is great your tank is looking awesome. =) Was the stainless steel material very expensive? =( I might have to just wait and get a custom tank done if I don't want a center brace. I searched online for a DIY and have seen 1 but they never showed what happened to it after they filled it with water.

Your tank is a 40 gal.? You might not even need the center brace. Whats the thickness of the glass if it is glass? If acrylic you could make a brace yourself. Even glass tanks can be fitted with glass braces. I would be happy to explain to you how if you are into it. Maybe start a thread on it?

Back