Frankie's 120gal. glass experiment

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thanks everyone. I'm starting the side panels this weekend so I'll post some more pictures. I'm also drawing up my surge tank idea. I'll start a thread on it when i start cutting the glass.

Last edited:
Looks great Frankie! I am looking forward to your surge device thread. Make sure to link to it!

Np Nikki! I look forward to building it.I'm trying to figure a way to make it a frag grow out tank also. I think the flow will be good for them. This tank won't be a full dump out and will solve my troubles with noise and bubbles.
Thanks aqua man and krish!
Wheres Mojo been? I thought he would have responded to this thread already since he had a lot to do with the tanks design. Its all inspired from Nikki and Mike. Thanks you two! Its really working!

Last edited:
Frankie!!! How are you !! Your tank is looking good.

I need to go to chat more often.

Need to redownload mIRC.

Best,
Ilham

Frankie!!! How are you !! Your tank is looking good.

I need to go to chat more often.

Need to redownload mIRC.

Best,
Ilham

Sorry Ilham but you won't find me in chat anymore. I stopped that last august due to increasing annoying people. :)
I have made a few changes to the tank and would like to share them with you all.
I got tiered of the fish i had and changed them all out except for the clowns.
I added a shallow sand bed and a lot of sps corals.
I'll post some pictures soon of the corals ( i need better pictures then the ones i have). Heres some shots from just after adding the sand bed. I have a school of 11 fire fish now 3 tangs and a wrasse. All the corals are doing awesome. Heres some pictures:

Last edited:
Thanks krish, it has taken some time but im finally getting where i was wanting to go with it. I still have a ways to go on the wood work and i don't think I'll ever be done adding corals.
I'll work on some pictures this week of all the new ones.

Last edited:
Tank coming along great, the cabinet work looks better than mine lol! I can't wait to see the pics man, keep it up Nice work!

Hey Frankie,I just started my 120 tech tank build after being out of the hobby for 3 years(I missed it very much).Your tank is looking great!!!!
Awesome insperation for me...keep it up!!!

Well i think its tonight so here are some pictures! :D
I upgraded the lighting today with new reflectors and another set of T5's. The ballast for the new one didn't fire one of the bulbs so it's on return atm. I have been battling some bleaching issues lately and am wondering if it has anything to do with a product i used for ich called Focus by Sea chem. I will see, but water changes are in order. Here are the pictures and how i rebuilt the lighting.
Tomorrow i will get some pictures with the MH's on. These are just two actinic T5's. It will be much better when i get the other set lite up.

Last edited:
You see that big space between the two MH's? I have 2x175 watt 10k XM's there. I have room for one more in the middle and am thinking about a 400w 20k set up. What do you all think? I need some help with this idea.

How deep is your tank Frankie?
Usually on tanks 24" deep & 4ft long I say go with two 250w mh's reeflux 10k's or the XM's If you want higher PAR. In your case your supplementing with T5's & they look really blue, If you add another 20MH I'm sure it will wash out the 10k XM's LOL I would have to see what they look first before adding another, not sure on the PAR for 175w, but you do have good lamps so I'm sure it is up there. The 20XM's have produced crappy PAR in most test I've seen, not sure how well 400W's would produce but with all of the other lights I think It may be just right, you may want to get a 250W Reeflux 12k in the middle instead, We have a thread with comparisons & better performance PAR wise, so it might be worth looking into. First I'd check out what it looks like with the MH's tomorrow.

OK, thanks Scooterman :) I too like the look of the reeflux bulbs and 12k 250's sound just right to me. It would be kinda over kill i guess. I have been reading to much Tyree stuff on 400w i guess! lol :)

I agree with scooterman on the 250 idea in the middle. I think a 400 between 175s would be an over kill. I have 250 14k DE phoenix and love the blue color on those. I also get pretty good growth. Dont forget, the bluer the bulb, the more often they need replacing.

Back