Gimmito 450 gal L-shaped display

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Nice build. What are your live stock plans?

Hmm..live stock plans ?

I do want shoaling fish...a mix of bartletts, lyretail, & threadfin would be nice.
I like pygmy angels...potters, flame, & my favorite japanese pygmy angel.
Wrasses are always nice to keep pest at bay...mystery, sixline, solar, scott's, & not to mention a cleaner wrasse to help keep the fish healthy.
Some picasso clowns and maybe a pair of skunks. I want to keep some rose & green bubble tips and maybe a blue haddoni carpet anemone.
I think Goldflake butterflys are beautiful.
I really like tangs...chevron, hippo, kole, purple, black and a shoal of yellow tangs are a sight to behold.
I've always liked mandarins...maybe a spotted.
Now some questionable "reef safe" fish would be a blue cheek angel and a blue chin trigger.

That's just some of the "wish list". ;)

I liked the scripture you used in your quote...is that in colossians ?

Last edited:
In that size tank.... Almost anything he wants. I wish I have the space for a tank that size. Well I do but it would be the garage LOL. I can imagine the fish I would have in there right now.

I only have a one car garage...so the tank sticks out a couple of feet from the living room. I think I can keep 40 or so small to medium size fish in that tank without issues.

161d227766a74cc98eb6c8cd129e1924

Kold Sterile Filter I use. The filters last 50,000 gallons and cost around 50 bucks to replace. Keeps essential elements. No water wasted. Great filtered water for the family.

Whoops !...I meant 30,000 gph. I plan on keeping mostly sps and a few lps.

Oh OK that sounds a little more appropriate IMO for that size tank. You are planning to keep SPS and mostly LPS the butterfly might wreak havoc on your LPS. I've been mulling over whether or not I should get an Angel (Blueface or Navarchus) for my tank. I'm afraid that my corals would be some tasty expensive meals for angels although I've seen them in SPS and LPS tanks before but afraid to take that risk just yet. I'm also planning on mostly shoaling fish in my tank also. Right now all I have is a Chevron, Achilles, Powder Blue tang, a dozen blue/green chromis, African gold midas blenny and fairy wrasse. I plan on doing a dozen or so of either chalk basslets and or threadfin cardinals for the shoaling type fishies in the near future. You will have an awsome looking tank once you are done. Can't wait to see the final product.

Hmm..live stock plans ?

I do want shoaling fish...a mix of bartletts, lyretail, & threadfin would be nice.
I like pygmy angels...potters, flame, & my favorite japanese pygmy angel.
Wrasses are always nice to keep pest at bay...mystery, sixline, solar, scott's, & not to mention a cleaner wrasse to help keep the fish healthy.
Some picasso clowns and maybe a pair of skunks. I want to keep some rose & green bubble tips and maybe a blue haddoni carpet anemone.
I think Goldflake butterflys are beautiful.
I really like tangs...chevron, hippo, kole, purple, black and a shoal of yellow tangs are a sight to behold.
I've always liked mandarins...maybe a spotted.
Now some questionable "reef safe" fish would be a blue cheek angel and a blue chin trigger.

That's just some of the "wish list". ;)

I liked the scripture you used in your quote...is that in colossians ?

Potters Angel idea would be awesome. I'd love to have a mated pair myself.
Verse is 1st Peter 1:20-21

Oh OK that sounds a little more appropriate IMO for that size tank. You are planning to keep SPS and mostly LPS the butterfly might wreak havoc on your LPS. I've been mulling over whether or not I should get an Angel (Blueface or Navarchus) for my tank. I'm afraid that my corals would be some tasty expensive meals for angels although I've seen them in SPS and LPS tanks before but afraid to take that risk just yet. I'm also planning on mostly shoaling fish in my tank also. Right now all I have is a Chevron, Achilles, Powder Blue tang, a dozen blue/green chromis, African gold midas blenny and fairy wrasse. I plan on doing a dozen or so of either chalk basslets and or threadfin cardinals for the shoaling type fishies in the near future. You will have an awsome looking tank once you are done. Can't wait to see the final product.

That's just a wish list...I forgot about blennies, jawfish, and bangaii cardinal fishes. I've seen butterflies, triggers, & angels in reef tanks. I think the key is having the majority of your corals established in the tank before introducing them and feeding them well. I plan on doing the Steven Pro recommendation of letting the tank go fishless for 6 months to let the micofauna, pods, etc. grow.

Sounds like you have a nice set up...any pics ?

That's just a wish list...I forgot about blennies, jawfish, and bangaii cardinal fishes. I've seen butterflies, triggers, & angels in reef tanks. I think the key is having the majority of your corals established in the tank before introducing them and feeding them well. I plan on doing the Steven Pro recommendation of letting the tank go fishless for 6 months to let the micofauna, pods, etc. grow.

Sounds like you have a nice set up...any pics ?

Yes I do...:) Here is a link to my lengthy build thread. I'll just link you to the better part of the build LOL. You can check from start to present later if you like. http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42958&page=39

Sarang,

Thanks for the thread...47 pages ! :eek:

I like the creative way you used the tonga branch. I was thinking of using a pvc platorm so I could get a similiar effect....defintely don't want dead spots ! Do you guys have a pretty active club up there so you can trade frags, etc. ? We have a pretty good one down here called Bay Area Reefers. They have a don't break the chain program so we can bank frags and help each other out with the cost of frags. I'm sure we both know there isn't a whole lotta money left after setting up a tank ! :(

Sarang,

Thanks for the thread...47 pages ! :eek:

I like the creative way you used the tonga branch. I was thinking of using a pvc platorm so I could get a similiar effect....defintely don't want dead spots ! Do you guys have a pretty active club up there so you can trade frags, etc. ? We have a pretty good one down here called Bay Area Reefers. They have a don't break the chain program so we can bank frags and help each other out with the cost of frags. I'm sure we both know there isn't a whole lotta money left after setting up a tank ! :(

Thanks... Yeah 47 pages!!! If there wasn't a boo boo that derailed the build it wouldn't have been half as many pages lol.
I love tonga branches. Too bad they don't sell them anymore. I used most of them as the base as to make sure I get good flow in and around the bottom half of the rock work. I still have some small dead spots but it isn't too bad. I get some pretty mad current through out the whole tank. I like lots of flow so I might add another mp40 when ever that will be LOL.
Yes there is a great local clup here! Pugetsound aquarium society Here is a link http://thepsas.org/forum/portal.php?&sid=e3d23fad3e6ad1213a2194bf4e018656. The club have one frag swap a year hopefully they would make it a bi yearly thing here in the next coming years. There are alot of reefers in Washington as you will notice there is alot of active people from the area on RF. The club also have a don't break the chain program.

Sarang,

Do you listen to reefcast ? Meelev & Evan had Steve Weast as a guest and he mentioned that he dives in puget sound quite a bit. He stocked his cold water system mainly from there. His original 500 display was an insiration for my tank. You guy seem to have a very active club...that's so important for the health of this hooby. How did you get into reefkeeping by the way ?

Sarang,

Do you listen to reefcast ? Meelev & Evan had Steve Weast as a guest and he mentioned that he dives in puget sound quite a bit. He stocked his cold water system mainly from there. His original 500 display was an insiration for my tank. You guy seem to have a very active club...that's so important for the health of this hooby. How did you get into reefkeeping by the way ?

This is the 1st time I heard of reefcast. I've seen pics of Steve Weast system. He is one dedicated dude. I wish I made that kind of money to invest in what he has done.

How I started I've always had fresh water fish tanks growing up. I got into saltwater about 10 years ago. I've always been intrigued with the colorfull fishes that saltwater had to offer. I didn't really get into the reef side until 7 years ago when I had a custom 120g acyrilc tank and sump made for me by a now local business AIP. I started with xenias and leathers you know the usual softies stuff. That 120 was nice for about 16 months until I got all this algea and crap growing everywhere and it was so ugly looking. I just ignored it and everything evenually died excpet for my lone hawkfish after a 2 yrs of it running. I took it down and put all my LR and hawkfish in my 55g tank I had and took a break from the hobby for about a year. I ended up selling that tank to a local who turned it into a sump. Which I think he still has. After watching my hawkfish suffer in the 55g for almost a year I had the itch to set up another tank. This time I did a little more research on how to properly care for marine life. I bought a 20g tank and found a used remora skimmer and I had this tank running. I wanted this tank to be a real mini reef tank and stocked it with LPS and was pretty successfull with them. Around 8 months later Petco had the 1 dollar a gallon sale. So I went and snatched me up a 40b. That is when I started my ghetto fabulous 40b build. Everything from the 20 was moved over to the 40b. A few months laterI went to a locals home and saw all these nice SPS. So i got a few sticks and tested my abilities and I was able to not only keep it alive but grow!! So then I started to collect more and more SPS and wheined out more and more LPS. After half a year or so I started to collect more of the rarer and collectors SPS and sold off all my common SPS. I would say 90% of the SPS I have in my collection now were grown from small frags. I acquired my current 270g tank in February. Which use to be a sump for a 1000g shark tank a local had here. So that is how I started. Man that was long.:lol::lol:

Nice story how you got in the hobby...mine started w/ the kiddies coming home w/ some feeder gold fish from a party. We bought a 10 gallon for them, but unfortunately they eventually went to gold fish heaven. My coworker used to work at a lfs and recommends it to me...one walk down the saltwater fish isle and I was hooked. A 34 gal..then 55 gal..then 75 gal..and now a 450 gal...what can I say ? I'm in it for good.

I think you'll like the reefcast podcasts...Marc & Evan are funny dudes and know their stuff. Epidode 29b is the Steve Weast interview and it was both informative and hilarious.

Last edited:
Back