Gimmito 450 gal L-shaped display

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

871ebb4a3e974168b30450da1140469b

Left side of hood. I have 28" from the ceiling to the top of the waterline. Bookcases will be on either side of the tank and will stick out 12" from the wall. This still leaves me w/ 15 1/2" of viewing space from both sides of the tank.

Last edited:
9dc8db9448ae496fb969579eb3e42430

Right side of hood. I'm thinking of using some type of adjustable mounting rack for the reflectors...any suggestions ?
I also will line the interior w/laminate for ease of cleaning.

Looking good! Didn't Melev have a good description on his site of how he built a rack for his lighting?

Sarang,

I'm thinking of using lumenbrite reflectors, coralvue dimmable ballasts, & 400 watt reeflux 12k or 14 k mogul bulbs. I like the idea of adjusting the tank to all that light. I'm thinking of supplementing w/some T5's also. I'm intrigued w/led's, but I don't think the technology is quite there yet on a consumer level.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of using lumenbrite reflectors, coralvue dimmable ballasts, & 400 watt reeflux 12k or 14 k mogul bulbs. I like the idea of adjusting the tank to all that light. I'm thinking of supplementing w/some T5's also.

Great choice on the lighting. It's good to see a Yay Area Reefer on this site. Which lfs are you gonna hit up down there when your tank is all up and running and ready to go?

Sarang,

I'm thinking of using lumenbrite reflectors, coralvue dimmable ballasts, & 400 watt reeflux 12k or 14 k mogul bulbs. I like the idea of adjusting the tank to all that light. I'm thinking of supplementing w/some T5's also. I'm intrigued w/led's, but I don't think the technology is quite there yet on a consumer level.

Nice... that is what I am using Lumenbrights. It keeps the light directed down into the tank.

Great choice on the lighting. It's good to see a Yay Area Reefer on this site. Which lfs are you gonna hit up down there when your tank is all up and running and ready to go?

Reef18ster,

Gotta represent the Bay Area :exclaim:...are you originally from the bay area ?

I have a couple of places I frequent: My friend Chris's shop Aquatic Central, Ocean Treasures, Lucky Ocean, & I have another friend (The Fish Doctor) who is in the maintanence/install business who can get corals & fish also.

Reef18ster,

Gotta represent the Bay Area ...are you originally from the bay area ?

I have a couple of places I frequent: My friend Chris's shop Aquatic Central, Ocean Treasures, Lucky Ocean, & I have another friend (The Fish Doctor) who is in the maintanence/install business who can get corals & fish also.

Yup yup. My family are all down there and I visit regularly. I'm a cross the bay fan Go A's! Go Niners! Have you ever checked out Atlantis Aquarium? It's in Union City now off of 880 on Whipple Road.

Yes, I have checked out Atlantis. I have'nt been there since they moved off off of whipple though. Did you ever go to mermaid aquarium in Fremont when it was open ? Max opened up another place in San Jose called Aquarium Showroom. It's suppose to be the largest LFS in the Bay Area.

I feel you regarding the Niners, but I'm a Giants fan baby !!

Max is my homie. We started the hobby at the same time. We both worked for saltwater fish at Fanta Sea pets in San Jose when we were like 10yrs old. It seems to me the hobby got a hold of him a lot stronger than it did for me. He used to hook me up at Mermaid when I lived in Fremont. I've lost touch with him after I moved up here in 06'. I have to check that place out when I fly down there again for the Holidays. He said he was going to have a 2000g shark display tank at the front of the store. Have you checked that store out yet?

Sarang,

What bulbs are you using ?

Do you have any experience w/the coralvue dimmable ballast ?

Any thoughts on light rails ?

I'm running dual 250w coralvue E ballast and them seem to do fine and in the center I am running 400 IC ballast. The 250 right now has 20k CV bulbs and the 400 is Reeflux 12k.

No thoughts on light rail as I never had planned on ever utilizing one yet.

Max is my homie. We started the hobby at the same time. We both worked for saltwater fish at Fanta Sea pets in San Jose when we were like 10yrs old. It seems to me the hobby got a hold of him a lot stronger than it did for me. He used to hook me up at Mermaid when I lived in Fremont. I've lost touch with him after I moved up here in 06'. I have to check that place out when I fly down there again for the Holidays. He said he was going to have a 2000g shark display tank at the front of the store. Have you checked that store out yet?

Small world huh ?? Max is a good dude...he had a fire sale when he closed down mermaid. I bought a 100 gallon eco-system sump from him and a deltec mce 600 skimmer. I have'nt been down to his store yet, but I been wanting too. He advertises in craigslist that he will take monster fish that have out grown peoples tanks. So you know he has some seriously big tanks :exclaim:

Let me know when you are down for the holidays and I can meet up with you at Max's place.

I'm running dual 250w coralvue E ballast and them seem to do fine and in the center I am running 400 IC ballast. The 250 right now has 20k CV bulbs and the 400 is Reeflux 12k.

No thoughts on light rail as I never had planned on ever utilizing one yet.

I was talking to Mike at Reef Specialty and he says the reeflux 12k are pretty blue and that's why he does'nt run any atinic supplementation.

Do they stay pretty blue after the burn in period ?

Mike also said he tried light rails, but did'nt like the shadow effect. I will most likely put one over my frag tank once I set it up.

I was talking to Mike at Reef Specialty and he says the reeflux 12k are pretty blue and that's why he does'nt run any atinic supplementation.

Do they stay pretty blue after the burn in period ?

Mike also said he tried light rails, but did'nt like the shadow effect. I will most likely put one over my frag tank once I set it up.

Yeah the reeflux 12k is a crisp white with a nice blue hue in it.

Sarang,

How do you like those wavyseas ?

I love the wavyseas!! Especially with the Tunze mounted to them. It creates some nice randomized flow. I like the set up I came up with. It keeps alot of the debris suspended. I have 2 WS with Tunze 6060 on one and 6100 on the other with 2 Vortec MP40 and also Tunze 6101 tucked in the bottom back left corner to keep the back half flushed of detriutus .

I was thinking of doing a mix of vortechs and tunzes also. Maybe 4 vortechs, some tunzes in some deco rocks, a wave box, & wavyseas or sea swirls in the corners. I want to plumb everything so that its pretty much hidden or not that noticeable.

Back