I'm back...34g solana rimless cube

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Where should I put a check valve?

Personally, I wouldn't use a check valve. Since I wouldn't be sure that I would regularly clean a check valve, I wouldn't be sure it would work when needed. And if I can't count on it working, I wouldn't install it.

Instead, put the return (or drill a hole in the return line) high enough so that a power failure will not overflow the sump.

Personally, I wouldn't use a check valve. Since I wouldn't be sure that I would regularly clean a check valve, I wouldn't be sure it would work when needed. And if I can't count on it working, I wouldn't install it.

Instead, put the return (or drill a hole in the return line) high enough so that a power failure will not overflow the sump.

Thanks I actually did exactly that...I also decided to take the refugium down. It was such a hassle to do water changes and it constantly needed tweeking!:mad: So for now I threw the cheato in the overflow section (topoff section) and put a light over it. Works pretty good actually.:D

I want to add a pair of clowns and a goby or 3 small chromis and a goby. What do you think? Which fish would you add?

Going against all reefing rules Id say whatever you add do it quickly before the wrasse gets too comfortable, otherwise you may end up with dead fish like I did. I would add the goby first because they tend to be very passive and then add clowns because they can likely hold thier own. JMO

Going against all reefing rules Id say whatever you add do it quickly before the wrasse gets too comfortable, otherwise you may end up with dead fish like I did. I would add the goby first because they tend to be very passive and then add clowns because they can likely hold thier own. JMO

Thanks Duane!:D

Here are a few new pics...thanks Dan for the awesome red cap, green cap and green slimer! Still battling the hair algea bloom but I'm hoping it will subside here in the next week or so. Still a very young tank...:lol:

Here are a few new pics...thanks Dan for the awesome red cap, green cap and green slimer! Still battling the hair algea bloom but I'm hoping it will subside here in the next week or so. Still a very young tank...

Well atleast it looks like all the brown is gone! Just the green now :D

Thanks Don It's a work in progress but so far I'm very happy w/ it. It's hard to visualize what it will look like in 6 months but it should look 1000x better once all the frags grow out. I'm adding just a few more sps corals thanks to Dang and then I will add a clam or two. I'd like to invest in updgrading the lighting to a mini lumenarc, add a wavy sea, and control it using a ac jr. I recently added a phosban reactor running seachem phosgaurd and elos carbon (awesome stuff):D So in the next month or so It should look a bit different.:)

I just ordered one of these today. Wondering if you're still using the standard skimmer and how well it's working?

I just ordered one of these today. Wondering if you're still using the standard skimmer and how well it's working?

Suprisingly the skimmer works very good. It produces some serious skimmate. I'd say I fill up the cup every 2-3 days of some nasty brown stuff! In the future I might just mod it once my bioload increases a bit more.

That's good to know. I'll be happy to spend that money on something else.

I remember reading that you took your refugium down, but I don't recall you commenting about the integrated ATO. Does it work okay, or is the capacity too small?

Your right I did remove the refugium for the time being until I figure out a better way to install one. I removed the ato bottles and divider and threw some cheato in there. I just need a small light for it. Rio makes a perfect little led mini sunlight that claps on to the back of a tank. Just need to buy one.:)

That's good to know. I'll be happy to spend that money on something else.

I remember reading that you took your refugium down, but I don't recall you commenting about the integrated ATO. Does it work okay, or is the capacity too small?

On a side note I just want to say how much this skimmer rocks! Every 1-2 days the cup is full of some nasty nog! I was thinking of upgrading the pump but why fix something that's not broke right?

Back