IPisces' 180

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well the tank came drilled with that many holes and the lockline. I still have no idea how much flow there will actually be in there. I suppose I could take them all down to just a single line from each bulkhead. I could probably block a couple too.

Last edited:
Well the tank came drilled with that many holes and the lockline. I still have no idea how much flow there will actually be in there. I suppose I could take them all down to just a single line from each bulkhead. I could probably block a couple too.

Well they are in so id just test it. If you go with single outputs, it may be too much flow coming out of each nozzle. This was why I had to use y adaptors...To cut down on the velocity of flow coming out of each nozzle and spread it a bit more. If I left it to just 4 single nozzles the fish would never be able to swim past the nozzles. After y'ing them to 8, made it a lot better. :)

Looks great though! Keep it up! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So what are your thoughts on maybe shortening one side of the lock-lines and putting a fan nozzle on the short side, pointing the long side down behind the rocks and positioning the short side w/fan nozzle over the rocks and toward the surface. I think there is too much lock-line in there too....I need room for coral up there. I could even shorten more of them. I don't think any of them need to be that long.

Shortening all of those loc-line's is a good idea. I used to only use two or three segments on all of mine including the Y's and the nozzles. As short as possible without the flow sucking in air from the surface. FWIW, the fan nozzles seem to increase the velocity of the flow.

They have 2 fares as well from what I can remember. One was really wide!! I have a shot of a flare nozzle and a straight nozzle side by side using a y adaptor to show the difference of the flow coming out of it. Give me a sec to get it for you. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Krish. I will have to check it out when I get home. I can try it on my phone in a little while too. My work has restricted media sharing sites.:mmph: Just waiting for the day I cant get on here either.

Trido, I am going to do that. I will shorten them all to two or three links. I like that idea. I think I will leave the center one and the two return lines longer though and keep them close to the top for surface movement.

Thanks Krish. I will have to check it out when I get home. I can try it on my phone in a little while too. My work has restricted media sharing sites.:mmph: Just waiting for the day I cant get on here either.

Trido, I am going to do that. I will shorten them all to two or three links. I like that idea. I think I will leave the center one and the two return lines longer though and keep them close to the top for surface movement.

Its all a matter of finding the balance of looks and functionality with them. I used to have upwards of 16 loc-lines on the 210 and some were very short and others needed up to 8 segment to make them flow where I wanted them without having to replumb and cut PVC pipe.

Well, I've ordered the new lockline nozzles for the closed loop returns. They are supposed to be here friday. I will have those replaced this weekend. I started setting up the plumbing. Nothing is set permanently yet I will start that once everything is in place and looking right. Pieces will be tighter together when finished put toghether in final installation so it wont be stickingout.
Still need to pick up a few things.

Here it is so far. The first pic is the spray bar. I still need to drill the holes in it, but plan on a staggared pattern all around the bar so it sprays in all directions.

IMG_3234.jpg

IMG_3236.jpg

The pipe from the bottom corner is not staying that long. It will come down just far enough to clear the stand and turn in towards the sump. so far.

IMG_3237.jpg

Hmm I hate plumbing...looks like I would have a hay day with that. Glad to see its coming along though.

Lorie,
It is nice to see progress on the build.
Just a thought on your bottom spray bar, if you drill the holes closer to the inlet pipe smaller than those further away from the inlet pipe you may have a chance to get some pressure at the very ends of the spray bar. If it were me I would only do a few smaller ones close to the inlet pointing down at a slight angle. for say... about 12 to 16'' and then make the holes a little bigger and so on.

Also. What are all those white dots on the inside back of your tank???? Have you done a leak test yet? If not are you going to do it with about $70 worth of vinegar??? LOL

Yeah, I dont think it will take 70$ worth, but maybe 20$ worth. I figured I would work at getting all the coraline off at that time. Thats one of the things I dont like about the acrylic tank. I hope I can keep the coraline off the front. I actually dont mind it building up on the sides and back.

Just a thought on your bottom spray bar, if you drill the holes closer to the inlet pipe smaller than those further away from the inlet pipe you may have a chance to get some pressure at the very ends of the spray bar. If it were me I would only do a few smaller ones close to the inlet pointing down at a slight angle. for say... about 12 to 16'' and then make the holes a little bigger and so on.

Great suggestion peppie
thanks

I need a couple more pieces from home depot. I need glass to make the baffles in the sump. I measured for cutting the pipe for in between each of the Tfittings, but....I lost the piece of paper I wrote the measurements down on. I hate when I do that. I made a list of pieces I needed from HD and proceeded to loose that too. I did find it eventually.
It will be further along this weekend.

Back