IPisces' 180

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I agree with Peppie. I couldn't imagine dragging a huge tank outside to test it for leaks. 9 times out of 10 the leaks are at the bulkheads which just require a bit of tightening. Worst case, you have to back off the nut and reseat the seal. If its not leaking in the first ten minutes it probably wont leak at all.

Glad to hear that you averted near disaster. :pray2:

You're probably right. So I guess maybe I will take the chance and set it in place and fill it. I dont know, I am really nervous about that. I have a few days to think about it!

LOL i dont even think about taking em outside and leak testing em... i just do it right their lol! However my biggest is a 75 NOT a 180gal lol...

I didnt have a problem setting up any of the other tanks in the house, but they are all glass. I am a little worried about the acrylic one flexing and breakng a seal. I did silicone them all and then tightened them down pretty well.
I have some things to move (Like my entire living room!!! haha!) so I can set it where I want it.

I think I will pick up a tube of 3M-5200 from work this week. If it does start to leak, that stuff will fix it!

You will be just fine. Take your time, Fill it to each bulkhead and then stop for a while, check it, and add a little more. Have a large pump in the tank as you fill it, just in case you need to drain water out fast. Have a plan B in place.

Pics of the fill will be great
Good luck, dont question your workmanship!!!

I wont need any buckets! Its all good! I have to keep telling myself that or I wont put water in it! Besides, I dont think I can get that many buckets. 180 gals by 5 gal buckets, nope, the 5 I have wont cut it. If it comes to that, I'll just run a hose out the window and out to the driveway.
The only ones I really worry about, is the two 2" bulkheads. I dont have a wrench big enough for them. Hopefully I got them tight enough by hand.
They are tight enough that I can not loosen them by hand.
Wish me luck!

I was thinking about the oilfilter wrench the other day and I am pretty sure I have the strap type in my harley tools in the garage. But the oil filter on the harley isnt as big round as the nut on this bulhead. I dont think the strap would fit.
The leather belt will work though. Didnt think about that. I have a couple of those.

Well got the tank all cleaned up. Finished tightening up the connections to the pump and other odds and ends on the plumbing. Got the shelves moved and the area cleaned up. Its ready to move into place.

IMG_3477.jpg

And here it is. In its place.
I am keeping it off the wall far enough so I have access to the plumbing if I need it. And I am hiding the top off container behind it.

IMG_3479.jpg

Oh that fill rate looks all too familiar. See you in a few days :D Nice and slow though so you can watch the plumbing closely. Nice job Lorrie.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Back