Jiddy for december MOTM

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thank you Jiddy :) I depend on water changes and kalkwasser for all water top offs. Although I am intertaining the thought of using an Iron/magnesse suppliment....

kalk is a powder that you mix in with you topoff water and slowly drip into your system. If you add it all at once it will raise your PH real fast. I need a feed pump and I will have automated adding of it.

yes. the co2 breaks up the media you put in a ca reactor and feeds the calcium enriched water into your tank. Don't buy one on the market out there. You can do one for 200-250 dollars. maybe when they do a DIY ca reactor. You won't need one at first anyways.

If i just have Zoo's and little things, as long as i do reg water changes i shouldnt have to supplement at first anyways right?

Jiddy, I think your lucky you found this place or maybe this place is, lucky you found it lol! So when are we going to see your tank, empty is a start!

Thanks Nikki, ill read those when i get to work, lol, no time at home. And Scooter, i think that im very lucky to find this place, and hopefully once i know what im doin i can repay it with vast knowledge like all of you! I dont have my 220 gal yet, the guy is holdin it tell next weekend, he doesnt have a place for his LR that is in it, and he got robbed on a 10ft tank deal that fell thru, i want to order my P.Skimmer (G-4) but im scared this guy might back out on me and ill have to set up my 90gal, thou it would be a nice skimmer for a 90, lol

Pics~!

Here are some pics of when i went to S.Diego, my buddy has a 300gal, he is one of those guys we all hear about, dont care, just buy it, groupers, damsels, clowns, cowfish, sea apples, corals, sharks (leopard), lion fish and all of it under Jebo PC's, but he had some cool things! The last pic is me and my buddies from Cali, im the fatty on the far left, just in case any of you thought i was Randy Moss from my Avatar! Im workin on my pic tanks Scoot and Brad! Heres the best i can do

Okay this will be long: I need a new list update of what to get. Heres what i have....

220AGA, Stand with sump, 2 return pumps, 2 overflows, A Canopy with 4 VHOs (will get MH later)

heres what im orderin ASM G-4, 100lbs Haiti rock $289 Delivered, 40 lb MI LR $240 del.

Need a deal on Salt, where do you get big box's cheap? and i need Salifert test, which ones? I know where to get them. And i need a flow system, i was told Tunze, but i dont know anythin about it/them. Need a hookup on sand, need advice in that department on where to get. Cant think of anything equipment wise.

Also, how many percs can you keep in a tank that size, can i have 4? If so what is the best way to introduce them?

jiddy, imo I would check prices on lighting. you mabe able to find a m/h set up just as cheap as the vho'S . one thing i believe alot of people do is buy things now and spend more later in upgrades on what they realy want. i think you would only need 1 return pump and one pump for your skimmer. tunzee makes acouple of different product. 1 are the tunzee streams which are kinda like power heads. they hang in your tank and put out a wider flow pattern and more water volume. you can also buy ones with a controller for wave simulation. they also make what they call a wave box. sucks water in one end and pushes it out the other. other options are a closed loop system which can be easily be made with pvc and a pump. the dolphin ampmasters look pretty nice. there is some threads on rf about cl's and mojo and nikki are pretty good with that stuff. you should get your basic test kit now which is ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates. check marinedepot or one of the sponsers for test kits and salt. as far as sand goes and this is only my opinion. southdown play sand(carribbean argoniate) can be used as a base and is sometimes available at home depot. then you can throw in some live sand from someone elses tank or online to colonize it. thier is also some threads on sand beds and you should read them to determine if sand is going to be for you. its not in my reef. IM not sure on keeping the percs. I know some places will sell mated pairs. if you are going to add more I would do it at the same time and get them while their a little smaller. sounds like your on the right track and i hope you get your tank soon.....steve

Thanks for the fast and detailed reponse Steve#8, just to fill you in the VHO's are comin with the stand (used) i def want MH later, just not that rich =(
The whole thing about flow is i did all the research on here for a 90gal, then i found a local deal for a 220 so i feel like im at squar one again, how many TUNZE heads you think i would need?
I knew about the downsouth sand from Depot, how many bags do you think i need for about a 2-3in bed? (72x24)
Once again thanks for the hiz-elp

sounds like you are off to a good start and Too bad you aren't Randy Moss because you could fly out to the south pacific and have people get the corals for you. With the stuff you want Vho's will be fine for a while. Ask the guy how long he has had the bulbs though because they go bad faster than any other types. You can also probably sell them for a good amount later on RC and cover about half the cost of Mh lights. consider the G-4x for a little more and look on Ebay because you should be able to get the best price on one. look at the post ASM or Euroreef and someone talks about a good place to get them on ebay. Salt goes on sale at all the big places like marine depot and doctor foster's and smith. Get there catalogues in the mail along with big als online and petsolutions and aquatic ecosystems. next post I will get into flow. By the way do you get the lion fish or any of the live stock. lions are cool if you are into the deuce bigalow thing. Disturbedreefer has two in his tank and loves them. I know I would be clumsy and let one sting me. next post is flow.

Good idea about sellin them on here, its a big ol' 8 ft homemade canopy thingy thou, kind wierd, i never seen bulbs that big and there are at least 6 or 7 ft long, look expensive =(

I didnt get any livestock yet becuase i havent pick up the tank yet, the guy needs it until next weekend to find a home for his LR (hmmm???) and im not in a hurry yet, still waitin on my tax return so i can buy PS and LR

Thanks for the info on all the magazines, i have PS and Dr.Fos already, now i will go get the rest

That lion was my buddies from S.Diego, didnt look to happy, but anyways, lets hear about the FLOW!

Back