Jiddy for december MOTM

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

check out jeffs exotic fish they have 40lbs of Mi rock for 154.00
http://www.exoticfish.com/results.cfm?cat=0|1977|1690|0|0&

Ok for flow you can add a couple tunzes which can get expensive. We are talking about the streams here. There are two types basically controllable and non. The ones that come with controllers cost twice as much. My single one with controller was 300 and that is the smaller one. Since you have an extra pump you could setup a closed loop like marinedreamer did and get two of the cheaper tunzes. What you are aiming for is random flow so the corals dont constantly have water blasting them and the flow hits every part of the tank.

Here is one idea.
Return through a spraybar so you get under the rocks.

here is the list of tunze website.
http://www.tunze.com/usa/

These things are great but not the only way. The ideal that would take care of the mojority of your tank is the ts24 kit with two 6100's That would be 6200 gph or so. all of these pumps are adjustable for flow. also look at seios. They have 1500 gph but dont know how well they would go 6 ft and they are having reports of melting in tanks lately. I do have one in my tank.

Here is a link to Sandbed Calculator

Jiddy what types of corals are you going to be keeping again? That is important when thinking about how much flow to have in the tank.

Thats for the MI site Brad, that is where i was goin to get them, i just added the extra $80 to ship it that estimate. Now its off to go read the links about the wonderful world of FLOW! THanks for the help

And Nikkie ill just be keepin softies at first then upgrade later down the road, but right now i like zoo's and such

Man, those TUNZE's are cheap, im gettin 10 anyone else want me to buy them some too =( So i would only need two TS24 powerheads and should be good for front flow, then a spraybar hooked up to one of the pumps i have for the bacK?

I was thinking you could do the two 6080's without controller and then a return from a closed loop for random flow. the tunze's should cost 350ish.

Geez Jiddy and Brad, would you to hold it down abit....I had my computer turned off last night , but I could still hear you two furiously typing away :D

Jiddy I guess I lost track. Are you still getting the 220 or did the guy bag on you and youre going with the 90?

And who the heck is Randy Moss? I thought that avatar was you....I'm disappointed lol

Youre kid is cute. nice pic. Mine are all teenage Hellions

Are you serious about the who is randy moss? 220 is one of the greatest sized tanks ever and hopefully you can get it done. Jiddy is obsessed with minnesota sports. hint hint.

i figured some people thought that was me, and are you really serious you dont know who Randy Moss is? You dont even have to watch *blank* to know him, he is everywere else nowdays too! Sorry to disappoint Stan =( As of right now i am still gettin the 220, the guy told me to call him on Weds because he doesnt have a home for the LR that is it in right now, and he wants to keep the LR for his 10ft shark tank that "got lost in the mail" so it might be a while or he might sell me his LR and we will all live happily ever after!

Now, thanks for the help B with the flow, is that 350 a piece or for both? And when you say CL, can i still use the same method of a HOB for my 220 you think? just get like a Mag 7 still or go bigger?

350 for two of the 6080's. the hob will work probably something with like 1300-1500 gph. not a mag. Though you were getting two iwasaki's. you can actually set a bar with returns for the closed loop on the top edge of the back wall. If you have it switching through like 3-4 outlets on each side it will run 300 or so gph directly at the coral which would be great for most.

Ok so I guess I've heard of Randy Moss, but if he is a sports player thats probably why it took a few. :D. I really don't have time to remember who any of those guys are. ;)

I'm glad your still getting the 220. I'm still gathering parts and pieces for my new 180 thats been sitting in my family room still wrapped in plastic for months.

lets get these big tanks running you two. Randy Moss is the most talented receiver in football right now. When he decides to play.

I second both those statements B. Thats awesome that you have a monster too Stan, how many years have you been SW'n and do you have a tank setup now? What where/are you usin for a PS for you biggen

Hey Jiddy,

I have a 55 G set up right now that is doing really well "knock knock knock". I have been doing SW for almost three years now I think. I was pretty much playing around with fish only until I met Salsaking and Mojo and started coming to this site. I have some not so good pics in my gallery. I'll try and get a better full tank shot since that one is kinda old and a lot of things have changed.

I have the 180 acrylic, a stand, MRC skimmer, MRC calcium reactor, and a some of the plumbing. I still need to get a Dolphin pump for my closed loop, an Iwaki55 for my skimmer, and another pump for my calc react...since just those three things alone are like 800.00 I am taking it slow. I have a stnd too, but I'm going to build my own hood since I couldn't find one I liked. So with lighting, LR, and the rest of the stuff I need, I think it may be a little while, but I'm really happy with my 55 so I'm not in a rush.

I really did know who Randy Moss is, but I have some rather strong opinions about sports players these days so I don't give them the time of day. I am not a professional sports fan, since it seems to be all about the money to these guys these days and I dont support it. I used to take my sons to the ballgames when they were young, until one "player' told them he didn't "do autographs" ......Just my opinion :D

Moss is talented but a great reason not to support pro sports. take you kids out to a minor league game or something. Those guys aren't millionaires yet so they have better attitudes.

Back