Jiddy's 220g MASTERPIECE!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ok the front of the pump is where water enters the pump and in turn pulls in air through the white tube by venturi effect. The air and water is chopped up in the pump by the needle impeller and pumped into the skimmer via the tube coming out of the top of the pump going into the skimmer. The water level rises in the skimmer to a point equal to the level of the top of the tube with the sponge, then the water comes out of the tube with the sponge, trickles down the side of the tube, the sponge helps from having bubbles returned to the tank. Tht is why you can adjust the water level in the skimmer by raising or lowering the pipe with the sponge. The top part of the tube should move up and down in the fitting. Umm... did that clear it up?

Hey man your going to hate me. Now is the time to get rid of all that clear flexible crap and get some spaflex pvc pipe. Clamps and clear tubing always fail at 2 in morning on christmas eve. True unions and spaflex. Trust me bro.

Yea Jiddy, when you fire up the skimmer, have the adjustable tube set down pretty low. After a couple of days adjust it so that you start getting some nice froth up at top of the cup. If you set it too high to start with, it may "break in" and over skim and fill the cup up with clear water. Start low and raise the pipe a little each day and watch what type, and amount of skimmate you get in the cup.

Thanks for the help guys and i know i shouldn't use the clear tubin, but i think this is goin to be the one thing that i regret later, cuz its done and im sick of messin with it. Im sure my wife will be mad when it floods our room and she finds out i was told not to use it, lol. Its all glued and ready to be setup, both CL's and the skimmer pass the "garage leak test" so hopefully they are done with for now. I did hook up one of the manifolds and it constantly shot out MicroBubbles, will this go away after bein ran for a while?

Might be the sign of a small leak where it is sucking in air, and that is creating the bubbles. If there is no air sucking in at the inlet to the closed loop, this is probably what is going on. Try tighting everything down a little more on the tubing, or adding an extra clamp.

Now that you say that your right, i forgot, i did drill a hole to high on the intake, sorry, duh! I silicone'd thou

I was just testin you

Jiddy - on your pumps I saw one ball valve where you can turn off the flow on the pump for service, but I didn't see the other? Do you have the pumps plumbed so when you remove them for service you aren't going to make a mess? I couldn't see one on the output of the pump....might just be the picture though.

Yea Nikki i glued the pieces backwards on one from the other and it defeated the purpose, they are all messed up, but its temporary

As of right now everythin is setup and passed the leak test, so far. So for the most part im done with settin it up. Things still need to be organized (like all my wires) and stuff needs to be adjusted and what not, but i dont want to do that right now, lol, im to lazy. The skimmer is runnin and i still cant believe how cheap they are for the money you pay

Tank looks great!

IMO

GET RID OF THE TUBING!! This crap will start to make one hell of a mess in your tank. It will start to turn a milky color and small sheets will break off and float all over in your tank making it impossible to remove. FYI when I changed to PVC my flow rate increased quite a bit.

I got a better idea fleetBox,how about i get some TUNZE's because this PVC manifold crap is on my last nerves, the part that screws onto the mag12 leaks, no matter how tight or not-to-tight it is, it leaks on that part, the manifolds and silicone all fell off the tank edges so it floats around now, and the mag's leak, did i mention that, oh and they are loud. I need some advice or someone to suggest what tunze kit to get that is around $600, thats what the bozz allotted me to spend

Tunze rock. Check out marine depot. Hey you may want to lower your outflow tube on your skimmer and raise the sponge up to over the top where it flows out. It will cut down on noise and splashing ALOT!! Just get the biggest one and a singletroller and be done with it. Put a seaswirl on your return and wha laa its all good. I set up a 150 like that and when I put in aragamilk I can see swirls and eddies just rolling thru the tank. The Tunze ramping up and down and the sea swirl interferring and helping the flow from the tunze makes for a very very random and sweeping flow pattern. Plus only one thing to leak. I use spaflex pvc to the sea swirl as well. Just clamp the pipe good.

Back