Jiddy's 220g MASTERPIECE!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jiddy said:
#reeffrontiers irc channel??? what is this?

This is our chat. You can also click on chat at the top menu to get there. We have schedulled chats every Sunday night at 9 eastern/8 central/6 pacific

Jiddy - I don't remember, are you doing a sand bed with this tank?

Never heard that, are you insinuating that would be a bad decision, even thou Mag12's are half off right now and can be used for a later purpose once i upgrade?

"real men dont cry" anyways

-jidz

im just saying that if you want to do acro when your tank is ripe, thats not going to be enough flow, but true enough, a mag 12 is a pretty handy all purpose pump with multiple uses, and half off is a steal, you could use them a few months and probably get most of your money back out of them. also, what are you using as a return?

Jidmiester,

I would really like to help you with this if you could just answer some of the question I asked you in my initial post. They are crucial to properly planning your closed loop. At the very least tell me how many outlets you have and what size plumbing. Then I could make a more educated suggestion on what pumps would work well for you. Fill me in man!

As far as the iwaki, i cant imagine going anything smaller than the md100rlt on your tank and even then that is small. I think you are looking at the ampmaster and sequence range to do this properly. Also, as nikki stated, if you have sand this is going to matter in how you set up the loop, unless you want to make a snow globe heheh

-Erik

Last edited:
Macbeth417 said:
Jidmiester,

I would really like to help you with this if you could just answer some of the question I asked you in my initial post. They are crucial to properly planning your closed loop. At the very least tell me how many outlets you have and what size plumbing. Then I could make a more educated suggestion on what pumps would work well for you. Fill me in man!

As far as the iwaki, i cant imagine going anything smaller than the md100rlt on your tank and even then that is small. I think you are looking at the ampmaster and sequence range to do this properly. Also, as nikki stated, if you have sand this is going to matter in how you set up the loop, unless you want to make a snow globe heheh

-Erik

I didnt answer you pipin size question, because i dont have any yet, thats what i need help with. And the iwaki came with the tank so i kinda have to use it (at least at first) and dont you think 3 pumps rated at 1200gph is good? how much more do i need?

skimerwhisperer said:
general rule of thumb is that you want 10x flowing through sump, so i would suggest using a pump that will do at least 2000gph @ 4'
are we spending your money fast enough for you??

Well includin the mag12's i have 3600gph, right?

And yes Skimmer you guys have spent all my money so far! My wife cut me off this week and cant spend no more until next payday, lol.

And not havin sand isnt an option....

Jiddy it will cost you more to run three pump than one or two, but yeah, if you have what you have, then there is no reason you can't split the loop in half and use a mag12 on each side then use the iwaki for the return.

-Erik

Ill have to work with that for now, and by cost you mean initially? I got the Mags on a deal that i cant get with a larger one then the mag34, so as of right now im not losin to much money!

Oh no jiddy, the half off mags were a great deal I was tempted to buy some myself, but they didn't have the 9.5 I needed. I was refering to the wattage you are sucking down running more pumps than need be. It is suprising how fast $5 dollars more a month adds up to the cost of a pump. My appologies if my posts seemed rude in anyway, I was just trying to help you to the best of my ability, but if this is what you have to work with by all means use it. There is always a way to make things work.

-Erik

I didnt think you were bein rude in any Erik, i really appreciate you respondin to my "rabble" lol, the wattage isnt a problem for me because i dont have to pay for electricity. So basically this setup will work? cause i need ideas on how to piece it all together now

-Jidz

What if usin the MELEVREEF CL design for the Mag's on both sides of the tank and the overflows and iwaki return for the back wall, will that be enough flow? somthin like this, if it makes sense

Back