Jiddy's 220g MASTERPIECE!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jiddy said:
Couple of questions, should i get the flares? My question is i have 1" PVC tips, so would i have to get another connector for the 1/2" nozzles?

Your tellin the Jidz about PATIENCE? its been almost 6 months of research brother, i can hardly take it anymore! :lol: :p :lol:

And there is going to be big beds of lushish sand my friend! Dunes of happiness in the Jidz tank!

-Jidz

hmmm....I think you can get a reducer bushing and bring the 1" size down to 3/4" or whatever size locline you are going with (look at this page: Aquatic Ecosystems - reducer bushings). You can see in the pic that one side slips onto the 1" pvc, then the other side is threaded. The male adapter then screws into this female threaded side, and you add the actual locline onto this (pic of the locline male adapter):

mpt.gif

On the fan nozzles, I think it depends on whether you want to spread out the flow in some areas. You could do fan on some of the nozzles, and round nozzles on others for more direct flow. It is really up to you and how you want the flow to go.

Hope this helps!

Jiddy said:
Your tellin the Jidz about PATIENCE? its been almost 6 months of research brother, i can hardly take it anymore! :lol: :p :lol:

And there is going to be big beds of lushish sand my friend! Dunes of happiness in the Jidz tank!
Lol.... Just mess’n with ya, Jidz! :D
I know exactly what you’re going through when it comes to patience!
I have my own issues as well.....

Patience, i have 5 fish swimmin in a 5gal bucket waitin for my salt to get here, hopefully it gets here tomorrow, lol, im kiddin, but on a good note, my 200lbs of base rock came today and my VHO's are here also! Now i just need my salt!

-Jidz

Just wanted to tell everyone that i recieved my Base Rock, Salt, and gear. I set up my rock in the tank and will tank pics when i get home!

-Jidz

LoL, im to busy defendin your freedom workin 12hrs thanks to Al and his Quada friends

Last edited:
Here are the pics, but let me tell you a little story first. After seein the price of LR around here and the price to ship cheap rock of the internet, i decided to go with BaseRock. So i buy 100lbs from Mario, and loved it! Of course it was no where near enough to fill my tank, so i went to buy another 200lbs of it. When i bought it from Mario one box was a giant piece and the other box was full of nice big pieces too. I figure thats whats it like, well out of the next four boxes (that i orderded from PS) all four where small little pieces, i couldnt believe it, all four.

So when i went to build this thing it pretty much turned into Marios cool left side of the tank (which my wife thinks is her side) and my rock rubble pyramid side on the right :cry: Another problem i had is since most of my pieces where so small, i couldnt build up high like i wanted, its just been a big disaster and this wasnt what i pictured my tank to look like.....but....here it is

Jiddy - if you are unhappy with it, take some time to play a bit more. Chisel pieces to create shapes you want, or drill it and use acrlyic rods to put pieces together and make overhangs. You can also make a rack out of PVC and eggcrate to elevate the rock off the bottom, then cover the pvc table with smaller pieces to hide it. Take your time and create what you are looking for. I spent a good 8 hours or so, aquascaping my tank. Don't forget when you have sand in there, things will be elevated somewhat if you put the rock ontop of the sand.

Hope this helps!

Jiddy you have brought back that old feeling of starting a new tank. How exciting. I can't believe you have been as patient as you have been so far.

you call it patience, i call it poverty! LoL

Seriously thanks for the kinds words thou! I just bought a PVC cutter so im off to get my flow hiz-ooked up

-Jidz

PS Where the love at B?

Looking good Jidz. Nicki is right, you haven't got your rock perfect unless you've arranged them at least fifty times. At least it seems that way. Sometimes poverty ends up making a tank more successful. I've seen people think nothing of spending several thousand dollars to setup a tank right away, only to find out they should've taken longer to do the research. Your biggest asset is your unwavering ability to ask lots of questions. I mean that in a good way :)

Clayton

Even after you have arranged the rock 50 times and have it just perfect you will wake up one day and see something that just doesn't look quite right so you start messing with it again and the next thing you know you have redone all the rock again. This hobby is an addiction that has no cure.

Beeba said:
Even after you have arranged the rock 50 times and have it just perfect you will wake up one day and see something that just doesn't look quite right so you start messing with it again and the next thing you know you have redone all the rock again. This hobby is an addiction that has no cure.

It's called, let's drive the skimmer crazy just one last time. :D :D :D

Charlie... you are sooooo right! Nothing makes me happier than watching an expensive piece of equipment earn its keep.

with the rock I would look at either using pvc racks under it or drilling and using acrylic rod to hold them together. That way you can make crazy shapes and allow more flow through the tank. looking good ..

Jiddy maybe you can go to the LFS and buy a few larger pieces of live rock for seeding your base rock. Using that along with the larger pieces you already have you could have a nice base and then use rods and ties to make the smaller pieces fit nicely without being such a big clump of rock with no definition. Good luck! When my husband and I work together on the rock we never agree. He is a little less CREATIVE than I am. :)

clayswim said:
Looking good Jidz. Nicki is right, you haven't got your rock perfect unless you've arranged them at least fifty times. At least it seems that way. Sometimes poverty ends up making a tank more successful. I've seen people think nothing of spending several thousand dollars to setup a tank right away, only to find out they should've taken longer to do the research. Your biggest asset is your unwavering ability to ask lots of questions. I mean that in a good way :)

Clayton

Thank you! I think ;)

-Jidz

Back