Jiddy's 220g MASTERPIECE!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

With the Tunze you wouldn't need the manifold. They work fantastic for creating high flow without sharp turbulence that irritates corals.

I would say you could start safely adding hardy corals after your algae clears up. That's provided of course your nitrates are still low.

Clayton

Jiddy, listen to what the others are telling you about feeding time. You need to shut your return pump off during feedings so the food isn't going down the oveflow and being wasted. My aquacontroller turns my CL's and return off for 15 minutes every time I feed.

Normally, you can shut some flow down at night and this is actually more natural for corals because there is less turbulence at night in the ocean. However, I think you are already on the low end for flow in your tank so I think shutting any of your pumps off at night would only have a negative effect.

Out of curiousity since im gettin my reef cleaner package, i was curious if the Linkia stars were reef safe?

Thanks for the help and responses guys!

I don't recommend Linkia Stars for new aquariums due to their sensitivity to changing water chemistry. Yes, they are reef safe; just on the difficult side to keep in newly established tanks. For now I'd just stick to snails and hermits. They go overboard on those packages.

Clayton

I'll second that. I've had who knows how many brittle stars make it completely through curing and cycling.

Clayton

I know i was told to wait, and i am patient. Heres the story, its the truth, well bits and pieces anyways:

My wife had a hair appt. today, so i told her while she was in town to get some snails (6) to help with the diatoms, until the big package came. Well she went to the LFS and bought some, well of course she wanted to surprise. Now i have a pinkish/brown Xenia and a bright green shroom. The pic's are poor quality, but as you all know, they look better in person. Now i have to fight this evil brown algae, and explain to the wife that we cant just go out and buy corals and fish whenever we want, even thou im really happy!

Well.... It’s official... Jiddy is a reef junkie!!
He’s got the rocks, the fish, the snails, and now the corals.... And he’s fighting algae amongst it all.... YOU’RE HOOKED!!!! CONGRADULATIONS!!!

Thanks Rob

I need another cleanUp crew site, the Keycritters one doesnt respond to my emails, need 100 snails cheap

No matter who you go with its $50 shippen, anyone want to go to FL and pickup my package, ill give you 30 or 40 bucks!

On a serious note, im gettin 100 ceriths and 100 astrea, are these the snails i want for the brown algae, i dont know if its a factor, but my sand wont get here until the rally is over (2wks) Thanks!

Jiddles

Option one:
Astrea Snails... 100 ea. 69.95 ea $ 69.95
Cerith Snail... 100 ea. 44.95 ea $ 44.95
Cleaner Shrimp... Medium 13.95 ea $ 27.90
Turbo Snail... 10 ea/bag 10.50 ea $ 10.50
Sub Total $ 153.30
Box Charge $ 10.00
CA Tax $ 0.00
Package FedEx Overnight $ 29.95

Pack. Total $ $193.25

Or Option 2:

100 astrea $36
100 cerith $24
6 scarlet $30
3 b/star $15

packing $15 includes heat/cold packs

FedEx $50 overnight standard

total $170

PayPal fees: 2.9% + $.30 = $5.23

PayPal total: $175.23

Man that is a long post

I think I would go with option number one with one small change; instead of Cleaner Shrimp go with Scarlet Reef Hermits. Shrimp do nothing for maintenance. I always find it strange when a company passes the Paypal fees onto you.

Clayton

I agree, i have very little patience with onLine vendors, once they make a dumb mistake i tell them to refund my money and ill take my business elseswhere, i just think with all the vendors out there, ill find the right one someday!

It;s a toss up for me as to which package to get. Cleaner shrimp would be a cool additive to watch, brittles (if they are nice one's) would be good scavangers, turbos would help with current problems, but may be short lived, and I don't know how much of a dent 6 scarlets would make in anything (depends on size). Wish I could give ya a better answer.....Maybe get the cheaper one and put money towards something else...Ya I don't know.......

Ken

I can whole heartedly recomend www.reeftopia.com They are very cool people and they have a excellent cleanup package for 99.00 delievered and a better one for 129.99 delivered. Brittles, micro blue leg hermits, asteria, ceriths, and nassisruis. Just take the emerald crabs and toss them in the yard. Since you have a sand bed nassi snails will really help you alot in my opinion. Check them out. They are not a sponsor though, I have asked them to be, and will continue every time I call. If you will, try to do the same thing and maybe we can get them on board here.

Back