Krish's Bahamian inspired 90 gal

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kewl dood, i was just wondering because i usually don't know how much people use for their sumps :p.
so what type of flow are you thinking about doood ?

I'm thinking about adding somewhere about 2,500 gph of flow. I'm thinking about a closed loop with an external pump. I made space in my stand for one already. With my tank, it has a center brace that divides the tank in half, so I'm thinking about having the plumbing running along it on the top where you can't see it and have it branch off like an octopus with nozzles. The only thing you should be able to see is the nozzle heads. I'll have to see if I have the space between the lights to run the plumbing after I figure out which pump I am going to get to know what size pipe I need to use. Hopefully I'll get my computer back soon to do a little more research.

i think that's an awesome idea dood.
i can't wait to see how it comes out and i thought that you were gonna get your computer last thrusday, but i see you didn't :( .
do you have any ideas on what pump you want?

Not exactly...I like sequence pumps, but not really sure yet. I'll have to research some pumps a little more seeing that I'm going to have to have it shipped here and don't want to have to pay for a pump twice for not finding out all I needed to about them. I'll see how it goes...

yeah i think it's good if you research on pumps because you don't wanna end up like me, buying pumps who knows how many times by now :D

Well, I made my decision on the extra flow and for now, I will buy 2 more Seio's since I already have 2, but I'm getting the 2600gph ones which will give me an extra 5200 gph of flow in my tank and probably a wave maker to put them on. I hope to order them today.

I will update a photo of my tank either tonight or tomorrow as I made a little change which made a huge difference. I replaced my black acrylic background for a blue acrylic background and it is unreal how much better and different it looks. The piece of 1/8 acrylic costed me $80. I had my fingers crossed on that one because it would have sucked to spend $80 on a background and have it look like crap(LOL). I also may have a few little fishies tomorrow. I'll wait to see if they come before I post what kind. The water is too cold for me now to catch anything and my wife is dying to see something swimming in the tank after me spending so much money and time on it, so hopefully I will have something tomorrow.

Krish - did you cut the acrylic yourself to fit your tank? I can't wait to see how that looks, after talking about that with you before, it sounds like it can really enhance the tank and colors, etc. You are going to have a lot of flow, are you going to place those at different levels and directions in your tank? How do you determine your flow set-up? I know different animals want different flows, will you adjust as required for their placement and needs? Post some pics soon! Thanks, Tony

yuuhhuu !!!
well i can't wait to see the pictures dood and well about the flow you can always change it later dood :) .

Thanks guys and Gabby, hopefully I won't have to change anything. If I get those two powerheads I'll have about 7,500 gph of flow total in my tank.

Tony, I had it cut to fit by the plastic/acrylic company here that sells it and it does enhance the color a lot. It gave the tank more life IMO. About the flow, I will probably put a powerhead in each corner. I figured with about 7,500 gph of flow in a 48x18 tank, I should get good coverage pretty much wherever I put it(LOL). I'm kind of scared to use such big powerheads though. They might knock over everything. I may have to go with the smaller ones at 1500gph or 1100 gph. Can't decide, but will soon so I can order. Hopefully I can get to a computer tonight to post the pictures. Better yet, hopefully my computer should be back today from the US from being repaired and I can spend more time on RF after work as it has been crazy lately here and haven't had much time to be online. I guess we'll see...

ohh boy well i hope you get your computer dood :).
i wouldn't worry about the powerheads knocking everything out i have mine in every corner and i have never had any problem and well the one i showed you, i have it in the back corner kind of like pointing at the rocks.

Cool, how did you attach the blue piece to the tank

It's on the outside of the tank at the back and was cut to fit tight between the tanks molding. Then I just ran a strip of tape across the top to seal it incase water happens to fall between the background and then tank, I wouldn't get water spots. If you look at it from the front of the tank, you would think the tank was acrylic because you really can't tell there is glass between it. Hopefull I can post a pic tonight...

I ordered a 3/4 sea-swirl yesterday to create some random flow in my tank. I hope to get it either today or tomorrow. I will see how that works for me for flow now until the new year. As it is now, I don't think my clowns can handle anymore flow because they seem to be struggling as it is. I hope the sea-swirl works out great.

Thanks Steve (Wrightme43) for all of your help and info on them...

well dood i hope your clown makes it and don't worry about the flow affecting the clowns IMO and from what i did, my clown did not mind it at all and sometimes she swims right in front of the powerhead.
like i said before dood i can't wait to see some pictures :) .

dood i can't wait to see some pictures

Send a camera(LOL) My clowns are really cute. One looks exactly like Chuck's (color wise) except 16 yrs younger and only about 1.5 inches long(LOL) and the other has more of yellow tint to it like Detri's. I'm supposed to get my computer today...That reminds me, let me go raise some hell!(LOL)

Here's a small update...

As some may already know, I flooded the house again a bit yesterday, I broke the head off of my return pump, and couldn't get my sea-swirl to break the siphon incase of a power outage. All of the problems are solved except for the return pump. I'll have to search a little more tomorrow or just order one.

As for a few pics, here are a few shots...Already posted elsewhere on the forum, but I wanted to add them here. And Gabby, I went back to the black acrylic background for now. I have too much black in my tank from overflow, sea-swirl etc. So I want to try and hide it a bit.

(1)Here are my 2 new clowns about 1.5 inches long.
(2)My sea-swirl
(3) The top of my tank with the sea-swirl, Emperor 280 (for just running charcoal) aqua-lifter, aqualifter filer and cpr overflow.

you know that's kewl dood.
Mine is blue and i don't like it hehe :p . i think that black is way better because somehow it does kind of hide what you got :).
I really like your clowns dood and i'm glad you figured out your sea swirl :)

Thanks Gabster... I was supposed to get some more fish this week, but because of Thanksgiving, it won't be until next week. Not a problem though. I'm still trying to get a Blue hippo and Yellow tang. I'll keep my fingers crossed...

Back