Krish's Bahamian inspired 90 gal

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well Gabby, I think I must have passed you by now(LOL) I just soaked both of my powerstrips and wet up everything again. I'm learning to be an excellent mopper now(LOL) Here's what I did...

I tried the closed loop over the tank thingy again today which worked great with a mag7, but the retarded pump leaked out of the head...Just my luck! When I noticed it my power strips were wet because I was too busy watching the flow in the tank (LOL). I closed the valve and when I disconnected the union, more water went everwhere until the pipe cleared as well as the nozzle I used for testing which I disconnected first. Because the hole to break the siphon was underwater, it poured out like a garden hose so I had to hurry up and pull it out of the tank! My wife doesn't know yet so shhhh. Here is a picture of what was...

Here are 2 of about 10 new snails I picked up off of the rocks today...Very small

And another full tank shot of my tank with the two clowns and my canopy off for no reason at all(LOL)

Last edited:
hey not fair, i guess i'm gonna have to flood my apartment and the neighbour's aparment downstairs again so i can keep my title :D.
dood you better hurry up before your wife gets home otherwise i have a feeling you are gonna be sleeping by the beach :D:lol: :lol: .
next time you should instead of watching the flow, watch what you are doing dood :lol: .

hey not fair, i guess i'm gonna have to flood my apartment and the neighbour's aparment downstairs again so i can keep my title .
dood you better hurry up before your wife gets home otherwise i have a feeling you are gonna be sleeping by the beach .
next time you should instead of watching the flow, watch what you are doing dood .

LOL Gabby...You're right. Here is a picture of where I had the bracket mounted for the mag drive. Not too smart in terms of the power strips(LOL)

My wife was hit by lightning (atleast the umbrella she was holding) as a child and she's fine...Wait...maybe not...She married me(LOL)!

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but check out my sump in the picture below. Notice the center chamber with the light...Full of brown algae, but none anywhere else in the sump and none really at all in the tank. Only one small spot at the bottom in the tank. Is it because in my sump, the conditions are more favourable for it to grow there...Less flow and more wattage per gal? Should I continue to let it grow? I only have a few pieces of LR in there where I plan to let some chaeto attach itself to. I'm wondering if this "brown algae" uses up nitrates because mine is stable at 10 ppm for 2 weeks now (which I think is good as the tank is still relatively new with the new rock and change over) It's never really been lower than that, but definately since reading at 10 ppm, hasn't gone up at all. My nitrate in my last disaterous setup sat at a whopping 60 ppm! I'm also wondering if I should do a 50% water change to drop it a bit or just let it continue on its course for now and just stick to the regular 10-15% water changes weekly. Thanks for any info someone may have...

Yeah man just let it grow. Then put in some chaeto, and as it starts to grow, scrape out the brown. A 50% water change is only good news. Match temp, sal, ca, alk, ph, mg. and 100% wont hurt a thing.

krish that's a lot of brown stuff hehe.
well if Steve says let it grow, then let it grow dood.
i hope it gets better

krish that's a lot of brown stuff hehe.
well if Steve says let it grow, then let it grow dood.
i hope it gets better

Yeah, it's something we all go through. I'm just glad it is growing where it is and not much in the main tank. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I don't see any hair algae...

I didn't(LOL) That was how the nozzle came that I used. Looks like I drilled hole in the pump from how it poured out(LOL)

Mag pumps always leak. They are next to junk imo. To make it waterproof take the housing off the body and put a thin layer of silicone between the mating surfaces. Then it will be good to go.

Mag pumps always leak. They are next to junk imo. To make it waterproof take the housing off the body and put a thin layer of silicone between the mating surfaces. Then it will be good to go.

Definately not the best for external, and runs too hot for submersible, but I had one laying around that I figured i'd try the closed loop. When I do decide to really go for a good closed loop setup, i'll buy a dedicated external pump to do it like a Sequence or something similar.That was just a trial run to see what would happen. I don't trust pumps like that to be setup that way for the simple fact that they aren't dedicated external pump IMO, andI would be afraid to come home to another flooded house. Thanks for the info Tom and the advice...

Back