Krish's New 75 gal "Thing-a-ma-bob"

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Where you put the fans may work better for you. Looking forward to seeing you progress.

Thanks Ron...My progress is looking like a 75 gal sitting in the street! The temp went to 84 degrees! Who knows anymore...

How much room do you have between the back of your canopy and your wall/blinds/window :p ?

Is it at all possible for you to make a little more room back there for air to come and go?

Are you affraid to drill holes in the side of your canopy? You will get the best results that way.

How much room do you have between the back of your canopy and your wall/blinds/window :p ?

Is it at all possible for you to make a little more room back there for air to come and go?

Are you affraid to drill holes in the side of your canopy? You will get the best results that way.

Not much room behind there and yes, I'm afraid to drill holes in my canopy. Seems like I have no choice though...We'll see:)

I know this is a pain in the butt, but, (no pun intended) You can laminate a piece of wood that is similar in grain to the of your canopy. Drill or cut slats in the same spot you added the hole for the fan. When I say a piece of wood I mean a very thin piece of veneer or plywood.

The hard part is matching the stain. You will have to take a look at samples and see what is close. You may have to mix stains to get the right effect. Just make sure before you stain, you sand it. Not a lot, but make it smooth. Any wick in the wood will cause the stain to not draw into the wood grain.

I hope this helps you a little bit.

Thanks Ron...My canopy isn't stained though. It has formica on it. I could do the same thing with putting formica on something thin. I'll look into that if I don't have any luck finding the vent I wanted:)

Beautiful tank!

Hey Now Krish,

I just finished reading through this thread and it has been quite an enjoyable read. The tank looks great. The rockwork you have decided to stick with is fantastic!
I also think its amazing you are living in the bahamas! WOW! If you don't mind me asking, how did you end up in the bahamas?

-magnum-

Hey Now Krish,

I just finished reading through this thread and it has been quite an enjoyable read. The tank looks great. The rockwork you have decided to stick with is fantastic!
I also think its amazing you are living in the bahamas! WOW! If you don't mind me asking, how did you end up in the bahamas?

-magnum-

Thanks Magnum...Been a lot of changes on the tank since start up last June, but I'm pretty happy with it. Once the heat issue is sorted out, then I can start enjoying it by adding in corals. About me ending up here, I was born here so I had no choice:p Really nice place...Not perfect, but every place has it's ups and downs...Works great for the hobby though:) Thanks again for the kinds words:)

yeah you should hear him on the phone.... he has a very strong bahamian accent .

Not as bad as your mexican accent:p

Here are the latest adjustments I made to things for the record. I hope this does the trick. I'm running three 3inch fans to suck air out of the canopy and two 5 inch fans to pull in cool air:)

Here are some closeups of the vents and a few other shots.:)

Here's the light coming off of the tank with all lights off. Pretty bright, but all is basically coming out of the tank itself and not the vents.

Here's the space I have for a chiller if I need one. This is where the ballast is...

Well, let me totally update things here...

As a result of heat issue after adding the halides, here's what has changed.

- Added a 6 inch fan over the sump
- Removed back off of my stand
- Removed mag950 along with the closed loop it was connected to
- Cut 5 holes in the canopy
- Added three 3inch fans to pull out air
- Added two 5inch fans to blow in the canopy

and that's about all. Here is a shot of the stand now without the back and with the 6 inch fan as well as a tank shot without the closed loop:)

Temperature looked really good after 2 hours of running the MH's and even dropped a bit. We'll see how things go tomorrow with the real test:)

Last edited:
Back