Let's Go Build Us Another Skimmer!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Skipper J

After that Skimmer 101 Thread started by Mike and DYI Workshop of Don W I'm challenge to build my own skimmer and learn hands on.

Experts hope your around to walk me thru the process.

My purpose is to be able to understand the details of how skimmers work first hand. And of course to keep enthusiast posted on the developments as the project goes along.And have an efficient skimmer for the new tank I'm going to build in the future.

I'm not a handyman but I'm very interested to learn the trade. I will have some friends helping in the tooling department so it wouldn't be a problem.

Ok!At the moment what I have on hand is a 22" 200mm OD(190mm ID) acrylic tube. I'm planning a cylindrical mixing box with size max out for the available space in my sump(36Lx17Wx20H). I have a height limitation of 40" under my tank. I don't have a definite idea on what system to use so suggestions are welcome.I'll go for the quiter type as I'm leaving in a very limited space.Efficiency will be a priority.

For now I'm going Don W's way of building cups and flanges and even thinking of Don W mazzei design. I'm also planning to have a 6" tube for the neck, lengt? No clue yet. For now I'll look and complete the acrylic parts and come up with a diagram that we can dissect later on.

Got to go!Hope we'll all learn from this experince.Thanks!

Joey

Last edited:
Time to fire up this thread. I have bought and work on some of the items for my skimmer after I started the thread but never followed up.Sorry for the long delay.Now Im working on my tank set up. For this I just followed the Skimmer Workshop by DonW with a few twist at the end of construction.This is stil a work in progres so I'll throw you a few pics.

1st Pic is the base of the cup
2nd Pic is the cover with hole for the handle
3rd Dry Fitted cup assembly
4th Dry Fitted skimmer assembly taken against the cabinet and sump

Looks like I still have a room for a few inch of cylindrical mixing box.
I have a few venturi made up like the ones by DonW but I still don't have a definite system for this skimmer. I'll keep you posted!

Joey

I just want to say thank you for spending the time to make me a great skimmer Joey! You are truely kind and are going way out of your way!

That is a monster and beaut!

LOL !!! :D woou i didn't know i was getting a skimmer for free
thanks dood :D lol

well i guess i'll be taggin along too

Heyy!The legendary Jedi Jiddy has join us in this thread!I'm honored, I'm a big fan :D :D :D I've been following your amusing threads.Well I hope to test it for you in a week or two.

Gabriela!No problem you need to personally pick it up in Hong Kong! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nikki!Hello! I only have less than 3weeks to bring my tank to life.This is the only time I have to mess up the house.My wife is leaving for Zurich on that time so what a way to battle lonelines!!1 :D :D :D

I am going to follow along too. My goal to build a better skimmer than my Lifereef which some people say is better than Euro-reef. :D

I hope this thread is still going! I am planning on a DIY skimmer. Actually everything is going to be DIY. with the exception of the LR and tank :p. I love working with my hands. And I feel it is the best way to learn how things work. Well for me it is. I was always a hands on person.

Detri! Yes this is still work in progress however I on a snag lately coz I wanted to maximise space and skimmer efficiency. While I'm doing the tank plumbing the design keeps changing everytime and it has become quite a challenge.At the moment I have purchase two reactor bodies one is in the above pic and another is a 12"diameter which when combine could tower around 6' and could be place in a small space in the bath room.The other option is to use the bigger diameter body as out of sump skimmer. Anyway below is the skimmer workshop that my project is base into.
You might want to search for Mojos skimmer as well as this will give you a lot of ideas on how to do yours.Thanks for dropping by!

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8028

Krish thanks it's becoming a bit of a challenge lately.

Joey

LOL Sorry I forgot to reply after I read your post lol. I got sucked into the Sump workshop vortex, mezmerized by the multitude of information.

I'll ask here, i don't want to ruin that thread and maybe it will help SkipperJ.

The outlet plumbing. How does that work? Don showed the 2 elbows and the pipe between, but what does the loop look like and is the extension from the top of the loop open or closed? And what is it for?

Detri said:
The outlet plumbing. How does that work? Don showed the 2 elbows and the pipe between, but what does the loop look like and is the extension from the top of the loop open or closed? And what is it for?
to try and answer your question. the exit pipe is tall so the water in the skimmer is lower than the water in the exit pipe. the top of the pipe is open to let air in. this will prevent a siphon affect from the water faling out the pipe. the valve at the bottom is so you can ajust the water level in the skimmer. they are made this way so you have better control of the flow out of your skimmer and the water hight in the skimmer. i hope these pictures are close enough to understand how it works.
vertical_skimmer_Small_.JPG

vertical_skimmer_1_Small_.JPG

Back