Let's See Some Zoos!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Yeah I ordered a 240 from them. They are suppose to deliver them here in Seattle in August, if,,, everybody that told them that they wanted one, keeps their word.

So are you guys photographing your zo's the day you get them and then a month later they are brown? If they are holding their color how do you do it?
Kate

So are you guys photographing your zo's the day you get them and then a month later they are brown? If they are holding their color how do you do it?

hmm you kow i have heard of zoos changing colors because of where they're placed.
I have one polyp that looks brownish but i have the exact same type on another rock closed to the lights and it looks very very green, so i guess it does depends.

I did get one to go back to wild color by putting it 2 inches from the lights but I can't do that with all of them. I got great color out of them when the tank was still cycling, using old bulbs. Maybe they like ammonia and nitrite! :) Am moving soon so will probably just sell all the ones that can't live with my tank, need more room anyways. The bright green ones with blue mouths seem to never lose their color, ditto the metallic blue polyps, which have never slimed brown stuff in 3 years but there is time :) Anything purple, orange ,or yellow tends to go brown. Nitrates and phosphates are zero in both my tanks. Most also don't really spread, I think they are getting eaten, not even the metallic blues. I have asterina stars and have found them on the polyps, with dissolved polyp underneath. Stupid starfish. During the day they hang out on the underside of the rocks.
Kate

hehe well if you ever sell some .... you can try with me :D .
i hear you on the lights, i can't keep mine very close to the lights either because of my other corals so they have to deal with it :p.
what kind of lights are you keeping?

I have had them under PC, VHO and actinic. Doesn't seem to matter much, though the best color has usually been under PC only. I am going to try some experiments though, you and Marty have given me a couple ideas. Marty just came over and looked at the systems. He's going to loan me one of his 20K halide bulbs that are proven to bring out zo color.
Marty also verified my perception that the orange people eaters he gave me turned purple in one tank. The tank that turns zo's beige. The people eaters in the tank with the 10K halide are now brown. Weird huh? Going to move some of the brown ones into the tank that turns them purple.
Kate

Last edited:
sorry pics are not the best figuring out how to do this still. good thing dylan is stopping by tomorrow to pick up some cheato hehehe. its only going to cost him a photo lesson.

I really like the zoanthids in the fourth picture. The blue with yellow centers. :)
Looks like you have a lot of zoanthids. Have a overall picture?

I went over to Electrokates today with my camera and took some pictures of some zoanthids that we got from jennyclark.
When she brought them over to the west side, Kate met her and pickup the zoanthid colony.
I gave Kate a chunck of the rock for meeting up with jennyclark because I was at work.
She put her zoanthids in two different tanks with two different light systems and I took mine home and put them in mine.
We have had these zoanthids for 3 weeks.

The first picture is the zoanthids in my tank. It has a 250 watt 20k bulb with 2x55 watt pc.

The next picture is in one of Kates tanks. It has a single 175 watt 10k mh bulb.

The next picture is the same zoanthids in another one of Kates tanks. This one has VHO and power compacts on it.

This is what I was talking about, why I find it odd that people "name" zoanthid color morphs and also why it gets my goat that some coral are better and some worse looking in my tanks. Course it's always better to have a killer looking people eater than a killer looking green zoanthid! :) I am going to move some more over and see what they do higher up, these are near the bottom. Am hoping to bring the color out in the fringe some. I think it will go orange or possibly red/pink.
So what should I name them? I am thinking Fred. Or Spot. Seymour?
Kate

Electrokate said:
So what should I name them? I am thinking Fred. Or Spot. Seymour?
Kate

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This has really changed my thoughts on how mh 14, 20k bulbs make the colors in zoanthids come out better than vho or pc. hmmmm.:eek2:

This has really changed my thoughts on how mh 14, 20k bulbs make the colors in zoanthids come out better than vho or pc. hmmmm.

you said it dood :) .
I definetly see more color with the 14k than with a 10k :).

spongebob lover said:
you said it dood :) .
I definetly see more color with the 14k than with a 10k :).

But what I am surprised about was the polyps turning purple under vho and pc lighting.

Actually the purple was from PC only since I didn't have the VHO's on most of the last couple weeks, tank got too hot. The PC bulbs are 50/50's from Hello Lights, the brand they sell called "Tru".
Kate

Wow! The color differences are amazing. Great photos, as well!

What type of camera are you using Finn? You get some great shots. Here are a few pics of some of my zoas.

Orange_Zoas_RAW.jpg

Green_Zoos_Night.jpg

Back