Me, Myself, & Sherman too.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well I just about crapped myself a few minutes ago. I am getting the tank room squared away for some reef visitors tonight, and was cleaning up some spilled coral bones. Under them was what? Yes, my Blue Sided Scott's Fairy Wrasse. At least I know it was a fish stick event and not my elusive red crab!

Well, it just happened again. We had a power fluctuation that had my office PC going on and off battery backup several times. I heard some kind of a noise elsewhere in the house, and thought it was coming from the TV room.

Anyway, as I was getting my son into the shower, I got a slight whiff of electrical smell. His bathroom is directly above our tank room area. Anyway, I venture downstairs and notice the QT (with the rescue fish) is not running, the smell is a lot stronger, but no smoke or fire.

I go into the tank room to check on things and notice that the other QT is not running either. Both of them are on the house current...so back to the outside QT, I check everything out and find that yet again, the Tunze nano cord has fried. This time inside the area where I joined it with a new cord.

No evidence of melting but something oozed out of the shrink. Seems so unlikely since my connections were done with shrink butt connectors, and then a used shrink tubing over the whole joint. But, it is obviously where the problem occured.

So I unplugged that, go to the main panel, and reset the breaker. All is good, but now I am really afraid to even attempt a repair on the pump. It is baffling to say the least.

Fish are fine BTW.

I think the cord on the Tunze uses "low" gauge wiring (the higher the actual gauge number means the lower tolerance it has to heat and lower load carrying capability) and might not be able to cope with power sugres from your house. Try replacing the cord with something a bit more robust. Depending on how many amps you're pushing the current cord may not be able to handle it.

I was told by an eletrician buddy once that for a typical 20 amp circuit you need to use 12 gauge wire and for a 15 amp you would use 14 gauge.

Last edited:
i know we use power conditioners in the audio/video industry that look like the dj plug in strips but cost like $50-$100 for the line conditioning, mabye you need something like this for your tunze powerheads...

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem with the Tunze? It's freakin' me out.

And seriously, what kind of dillweed stays in Port Hadlock and doesn't come visit?

You are very welcome Nelson, and thank you for helping look for the burning smell! I got seriously over-loaded today as I had not really planned on having a bunch of people over. It's a brain thing and I have a difficult time shifting gears like that. It's always nice to see you and I am glad your system is doing well!

For your viewing pleasure:

This is the original blow out that my wife had to deal with:

burntcord.jpg

This is the latest mini-fire that scorched the cabinet:

Image1.jpg

Am I in the wrong hobby?

hmmmm...interesting comment Dang. I guess staggering the joints could have prevented this, but it sure seems like the cord is just not robust enough to handle electrical spikes. I will keep that in mind for my next repair. Very good advice!

BTW, that delicate coral I brought over...mine has crapped out on me. I hope yours is still alive. :rolleyes:

Jonathan-
Thank you for having us over on a moments notice today. Your tank and home has become a center hub for that side of the world and I greatly enjoy your company. Thanks for being a gracious host and not comming after us like an axe murderer when we stayed to long. I'll learn more about the Tri-star 3000 and we'll get that thing kicking the litermeters arse. Hope your Ro quandry is solved with what we discused and dont burn down your dam house!
Chad

Back