Me, Myself, & Sherman too.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Don,

I can get clear through Custom @ 3' for $ .69...will that do? LMK how many and I'll get it in soon.

So here's a pic of a couple anemones. The PLTA is the one that I have been having problems with. It has settled here for the time being which is nice because I can observe it and feed it.

anemones%20031607.jpg

It often is gone for a week or two under the rocks only to appear wrapped around a coral. It is not very sticky and the polyps it is resting against don't appear to be getting stung by it. I have started hand feeding it smaller pieces like has been recommended, and the color has improved slightly, but its feeding response seems to be zero. It will hold onto the smaller pieces unlike when I fed it half and whole silvesides.

It is smaller than when I got it, and there is less coloration.

Here is a comparison shot from about 4+ months ago:

plta2%20110906.jpg

Any further suggestions on husbandry for this PLTA would be greatly appreciated!

I had kept anemones before but never one of those. I knew someone who kept one for a couple years though. He told me that they like deeper sand bed to be happy (2 inches for deeper). If it is roaming around alot that means it's not happy. Try feeding it some raw shrimp and see if you get a better feeding response.

EDIT--- BTW... I think we're going to skip Aikido tomorrow. With the G man's Bday and all things considered, it would be too hectic in the morning as is. See you at the pool Jonathan.

Last edited:
Cool, at the pool. I can't believe you don't have one at your house! :p

No decent sand bed here...so that's the way it goes. I'll try the shrimp but if it doesn't eat the shrimp that jump in it to steal food, I have my doubts it will eat any shrimp I feed it!

Well I finally got the Aqua Medic T5 array hung:

growout%20031807.jpg

Got it from Sherman...I have it a little high for the first 48 hours so as not to shock the system or boil the water! This unit currently has 6 x 10K and 2 x Actinic T5 lamps. It is really extremely brite in person and puts out a lot of heat. I think this should boost the algal growth enough that the snails will have plenty to eat.

Also, here is a shot of the MJ400 Mod by World Famous Don Nguyen:

mj400%20mod.jpg

Interestingly enough, although these are supposed to use less electrical energy than the stock pump, this one is using about 50% more at 7W. The pumps specs. are for 5W. Not sure why that is, but let me tell you, I don't care. This thing puts out really good flow and snails don't get caught inside. :)

:doubt: Hmmm... I don't know about that one. Actually I have never actually tested any of the mods myself using the kill-a-watt meter just went off from what others have told me they tested them at. In any case I'm glad your snails are no longer committing suicide in the pump :)

Yeah it is working perfectly in relation to the snails. When I get back from CO I will order some in. Thanks for the sweet loaner! :D

well guys I am back and everything is in good shape. The great Shermster took care of my system while I was gone and no mishaps! Yay!! Only a couple of things need normal minor adjustment and I was glad to find a nice dry floor. :)

Thanks Sherman!

You are very welcome. I know how it is having to leave your baby like that. It was actually nice a few days to get away!

The fuge tank is looking good Jonathan! I still can't believe it was perfect for your table... must be fate. :lol:

yeah it's running great too with that lamp I got from Sherman. You should come over and check it out when you get the chance. I still haven't decided if I want to mess with filtration yet...growing snails doesn't really require pristine water, but I will want to use it for frags at some point.

BTW, Don wants to upgrade his tank...got anything laying around in the 125 - 180 g RR? he has been looking into glass but nothing has come up yet. I don't see your stuff listed in ANW's list (at least the last one I got). Maybe I missed it. What size were those corners? Gone already?

So I got a wild hair up my bum and decided to redo my tank into BB last weekend. Here are the results now.

100_0359.jpg

100_0345.jpg

Still some traces of HA but I'm slowly getting there.... I think.

alk up over 11.0 today. SPARKSS had an interesting suggestion that I remove some media. I am not sure why I never thought of that.

Sherman has been making me jealous buying fish all the time so I finally broke down and picked up a blonde naso from Eric today. It is really sweet looking, had been in-house for a few weeks, and is eating well. It acclimated nicely and ate while in the bucket. Unfortunately I had to get back to the store so I introduced him to the tank during daylight hours. He seems to have done fine though and after an initial shy period, began to eat when I fed the tank. What an unbelievable looking fish!

I also picked up a ricordia rock. Want to try my hand at them again.

Don't ask for pics...the glass is totally dirty...

Back