my 160 gallon rebuild. going to make it a anemone garden tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reefman069

want more mini maxi
so i am turning my 160 gallon tank into a anemone garden tank. as much of you know. i love mini maxi anemones. lol. so why not have a huge anemone garden. right.

so i went and bought 3 stepping stones. drilled them and put fiberglass rods in them. i am going to oceans by design tomorrow to buy some key largo rock. when i get home i will drill the rocks and put them on the fiberglass rods to make towers. here is a picture of the stepping stones with the fiberglass rods.

Don't think a 160 is going to be big enough for all your maxi's! :)

oh come on guy. lol. i am going to do other kinds of anemones also. i plan on getting some really nice carpet anemones. some cool looking rbta anemones. and hundreds of mini maxi anemones. hehehe.

Chad that's going to be insane! I have 1 nem in my tank its a red rock flower i've had it for awhile. It hasn't moved since day one.

Sent from my SGH-T779 using Tapatalk

Wat about tube anenmones? Mini maxi garden been done before? Its gonna look fluffy... lol
I see rbta, gbta, maybe a rainbow or fire and ice one...
O and some big ars clowns...
D

well i ordered the fiberglass rod on ebay. the guy said it was 5/8th. so i ordered a 5/8 masonry drill bit. i went and got the 3 stepping stone and drilled them with my drill press. so then when the fiberglass rods got here. i tried to put them in the hole. they wouldn't fit. well end up. they guy sent me 3/4 fiberglass rods. so i went and bought a 3/4 masonry drill bit. it worked out way better this way. i drilled a hole with the 3/4 and it was really sloppy. so by drilling with the 5/8 and then again with the 3/4 the rods fit in nice and tight. then i put pounded them in with a hammer.

Cool.
I'm in the process of cleaning new rock for the rebuild of my 120 and I'll be going with the pavers and rods method as well. I'm bouncing around between using rods or pvc though, and was just curious about what you did and how. How did your drill bit do going through the paver? I'd rather not have to buy two or three diamond hole bits to accomplish all the drilling I need to do.

Cool.
I'm in the process of cleaning new rock for the rebuild of my 120 and I'll be going with the pavers and rods method as well. I'm bouncing around between using rods or pvc though, and was just curious about what you did and how. How did your drill bit do going through the paver? I'd rather not have to buy two or three diamond hole bits to accomplish all the drilling I need to do.
while drilling the bit got really hot. i would drill then stop and put water in the hole. drill more and add water. worked pretty good. where are you from. if your local. you can bring them over to my house and i can drill them for you. i have done alot of looking around on this idea of rod work. most people use fiberglass rod. i do have a 48 inch piece of fiberglass rod left over that i could make you a deal on. let me know. chad

I appreciate the offer Chad, but I'm in St Louis MO.
Not anywhere near local.

I figured I'd just go slow and add water to the bit regularly and frequently, but I don't have access to a drill press.
I'll be doing this with a Dewalt and patience....

Still a ways off yet.

I have several rocks left to soak in muriatic acid to clean them off, then I get to start playing with the drilling.
Weather isn't exactly cooperating and I'm not about to soak the rocks in muriatic acid inside the house...

Back