My 240

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mfinn

Surgeonfish
I bought a Glasscages 240 gallon rr tank.
They delivered it to Tacoma WA. back in August.
It is 72" long x 30" wide x 25" tall.
It have low iron glass on the front and sides. Two 1-1/2" dia. bulkheads.
It was half the price of the next nearest bid for a glass tank.

I started building the stand and canopy about a month before it came, and had a week to spare.:)

The stand is made from 3/4" oak veneer plywood and 2x4's.
The plywood was nailed and glued to the frame as I went, so it is basicly one solid frame.
I am not a very good finish carpender, so simple trim works for me.

After I had the stand done, I got a little worried about the weight of the new 240, so I went in and added another complete set of 2x4 rim and support legs.
Didn't get any pictures of tank.
Here are a couple of the canopy.
Again simple is good.

A picture of the tank just after we moved it off the truck and on the stand in my garage.

Here is a picture of a absolute life saver when moving larger tanks.
These things were great.

While I had the tank in my garage I was able to do all the plumbing, overflows, closed loop stuff and work on it untill it was right.
I filled and emptyed the tank 3-4 times.
The water bill was a little higher last month???

I didn't want Glasscages to drill holes in the back and then ship it cross country on a semi truck. They said it would not be crated, so I decided to do a over the top closed loop (not the best design, I regrete that decesion) using a Poseidon P-4 and 2 sea-swirls.

I bought a ASM G-4x with the recirc mod skimmer for the new tank.
I also bought a new sump for it.
Jason from Clear Fabrications built the sump and my overflows for me.
The sump is 46" long x 24" wide x 18" high. 86 gallons total.
They were a great price and absolutely beautifull.

I used another Poseidon P-4 for a return pump going to a bottom spray bar.
I used another Poseidon P-2 for a supply pump going to a Current 1/3 hp chiller.
I love those Poseidon pumps. They are absolutely silent. O noise.

Hey Martin this looks Great man!

I have a ton of those window cups for my business I know how nice they are.
Have to ever thought about climbing the bank of america tower with them?:lol:

Nice work on the stand and canopy too..

Keep the pictures coming!!!!

Matt

I tried to get creative with a little acrylic and made some rock racks and some fan brackets.
Thanks to Jason again for a screaming deal on some 3/4" acrylic for the rock racks.
I also bought a sheet of blue acrylic for the overflows and to put on the back of the tank so it would match the same color of the overflows.

These are the fan brackets with the Vantec Stealth fans. Very quiet.:)

I think this is the last water test.

I've got a couple pictures of it set up with the corals I'll get up.
But I'm really unhappy with the placement of everything. I had to let it sit for a while, while I do fine tuning. Like getting the chiller plumbed in and getting the overflows right. The water runs just a touch high with the chiller pump adding to the flow.
Just odds and ends.
Plus I took a couple days off to help someone else get a tank moved and set up.

You get suckered into setting up some other loser's tank?:lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh yeah, that was me:oops: :
Thanks again for all your skilled help. Too bad you do such sloppy work:lol: :lol:

wow I would have to say this is perfect u took your time and studys and came up with a excellent setup I have to say from one perfectionists to another this is great I have had a ittty bitty 50 gal and americal 10 system for just over a year and this is exactly the next project idea funny the first tank setup never looks like that keep the pics up please send some my way congrats

You get suckered into setting up some other loser's tank?:lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh yeah, that was me:oops: :
Thanks again for all your skilled help. Too bad you do such sloppy work:lol: :lol:

No, I wanted to be there.:D

Just in case I saw a leak, I could slap some duct tape on it.:lol: :lol:

Well I took some pictures today with most of the corals in the tank.
I am not happy about the way I put the rock and corals in.
This is going to change. But this is what it looks like so far.
It doesn't look that much different than the 180, just wider.
But the differences that I really like is in the equipment and drains. Everything is almost totally silent. The noisest pump is the recirc pump, a sedra9000 on the skimmer. With the doors shut, it can't be heard at all.
The other pumps are Poseidon pumps which are totally silent and the overflows are quiet also.
One thing I have noticed in the first week is there is more swimming room for the fish in the front and the fish seem to make use of it. However, they refuse to come out when I have the camera.lol

What's there to change man! That looks great! :eek: I guess I shouldn't talk huh(LOL) I really like the look man, but if you need to change it up some to look they way you want, have fun! I'm sure it will look even better:)

Looks good, Man that was fast. You went from building a stand this morning to having a full tank by the evening. That's gotta be a world record.. :)

Last edited:
Back